Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General advice from JDP

General advice from JDP

Good advice from John Purcell.

If you are new to shooting, firstly welcome to the club

A few pointers before you start shelling out cash

1 Do your research- if you are reading this, welcome to the biggest mine of air gun information there is- in the WORLD.
    But please use the search facility before posting
    2 Never go into a shop and buy the first thing you like the look of.
    3 Because its expensive it must be good doesn't follow.
    4 Get at least 3 or more choices in mind then find a local club. Use club finder on either UKAHFT or the BFTA web-sites. There will be one not too far from you that you didn't know was there. Contact them and ask to come down and try as many guns as you can from your list.
    5 Listen to what club members say and heed their advice- they will have spent more money on their hobby than you have and probably bought a few duffers in their time, hence say you on money, time and a great deal of frustration.
    6. Now you have found the kit, go to a good dealer that provides after sales support.
    7. Go back to the club and join up and get shooting SAFELY.
    8. Enjoy yourself.
    Another Old Git.

Talking Shooting Bean Bag

If you have £30, buy yourself a lovely 'Camo' shooting bag.

On the other hand, if you have a small backpack/daysack that you dont use, go to the Habidashers (sells buttons, zips etc) and get a large sack of polystyrene beans, £4.

Fill bag to required size and 'hey presto' you have a shooting bag that suits your needs, has sholder straps and cost about £2. There's lots left over, I have a 'bean bag' bench for cleaning and holding my air rifle, made out of an old nylon 'sausage' hold all. Plus you will have a bucket or so left for nicley packing the many items you will trade on the BBS.

Dave

danche Guest
    If you are hunting, camo up your rifle as well as yourself, after all it is a big shiny thing

danche Guest
    Never fill a PCP with anything apart from clean air, either from a pump, or out of an air tank. It is highly dangerous and stupid to do it with any type of gas

Make sure you test out many different types of pellets in your new gun.

What is good for one gun isnt necessarily the same for another.

And the differences in accuracy even over 20 yards can be massive.

AD K

apache Guest

Thumbs up I need professional tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermick View Post
    Good advice from John Purcell.

If you are new to shooting, firstly welcome to the club

A few pointers before you start shelling out cash

1 Do your research- if you are reading this, welcome to the biggest mine of air gun information there is- in the WORLD.
    But please use the search facility before posting
    2 Never go into a shop and buy the first thing you like the look of.
    3 Because its expensive it must be good doesn't follow.
    4 Get at least 3 or more choices in mind then find a local club. Use club finder on either UKAHFT or the BFTA web-sites. There will be one not too far from you that you didn't know was there. Contact them and ask to come down and try as many guns as you can from your list.
    5 Listen to what club members say and heed their advice- they will have spent more money on their hobby than you have and probably bought a few duffers in their time, hence say you on money, time and a great deal of frustration.
    6. Now you have found the kit, go to a good dealer that provides after sales support.
    7. Go back to the club and join up and get shooting SAFELY.
    8. Enjoy yourself.

dear sirs:
    As I found out your web site is useful for bigginers like me.Then please
    help me to find a learning course for shooting airgun pistol.I have started
    this for 2 weeks,but I have no good and professional coach here and I
    should gain skills by myself.My goal is participating in Olympic games
    and want to be a good one;so help me to reach this hope.I appriciate
    your far distance cooperation.thank you.
    sincerely:
    A.K.Saket

Ryan87 Guest

Which Airgun should i buy

Hi I've done a bit of shooting before, and decided to buy my first gun which should i go for, something for around £100-150, just want it for practice and maybe for hunting a few birds or something around that size any ideas?

stocks

hi

im fairly new to airgunning

my grandAD has given me his old bsa meteor springer and im having tht until ive saved up enough money to buy a pcp

is it possible to buy a r/handed stock and convert it to l/handed due to me being a lefty????

im thinkin of getting the aa s200 or s400

im not sure yet

but mainly id like to know about the stocks and if it is possible to change the stocks from r/handed to l/handed?

please get back to me asap

thanks

james

Verminator 66 is offline I Will Never Find Another Ewe
    Quote Originally Posted by bodenham-hunter View Post
    hi

im fairly new to airgunning

my grandAD has given me his old bsa meteor springer and im having tht until ive saved up enough money to buy a pcp

is it possible to buy a r/handed stock and convert it to l/handed due to me being a lefty????

im thinkin of getting the aa s200 or s400

im not sure yet

but mainly id like to know about the stocks and if it is possible to change the stocks from r/handed to l/handed?

please get back to me asap

thanks

james
    the AA 400 can be canged fairly quick but you would need the right stock
    I.E L/H or R/H stock + L/H or R/H bolt handel
    Do think the s200 is as is but you can turn the bolt so it points up
    if you need more info PM me
    Cheers hope this helps

I joined a club before I had my own weapon. I was able to use the club guns to do some shooting and it confirmed to me that .177 rifle and pistol target shooting is for me.

I bought my gorgeous AA S200 based on excellent advice from club members when I mentioned I was having problems with the length of the stock on the club rifles. I am also getting the opportunity to try out various pistols, which has made made me realise that I do not want just one first pistol but I need two first pistols. I have just purchased a CP99 (waiting for delivery) for fun, but also need a good quality single shoot for slightly more serious shooting.

I can't recommend joining a club first enough. Not only do you get to try before you buy, but you get all sorts of invaluable advice and guidance from the experts. It is definitely the route to go.
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

need a little help

hi i am just starting out shooting and have just bought a crosman 2250 and have started moding it and want to know what is a decent scope to put on it can any one help me.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost1990 View Post
    hi i am just starting out shooting and have just bought a crosman 2250 and have started moding it and want to know what is a decent scope to put on it can any one help me.
    Probably a good idea to get a steel or aluminium breech to keep a scope steady on the Ratcatcher. Then...well I have a JSR 3-9x40 on mine- cheap but a good scope...mind you it almost doubles the weight of the gun!! Ratcatchers are not long range guns in the scheme of things, so a huge scope isn't really needed. depends on what you are going to use it for?

i have already ordered a steel breech for the ratty cheers.
    my mate has said to get a bsa ultra are they any good and do you no how much roughly it will cost for a second hand 1 in good condition

Quote Originally Posted by ghost1990 View Post
    i have already ordered a steel breech for the ratty cheers.
    my mate has said to get a bsa ultra are they any good and do you no how much roughly it will cost for a second hand 1 in good condition
    Think you are best asking this in the Main Airgun section of the BBS-sorry don't know Ultras at all!

ok no worries cheers anyway