Thread: Colt 1911A from Umarex

Thumbs up Colt 1911A from Umarex

First Review – here goes:

I bought my Colt 1911 from Uttings as the Red Dot Combo which came with the pistol, a Walther red dot sight, 11mm adaptor rail, 3 extra magazines (2 magazines supplied with the pistol), 400 Crosman CO2 pellets and 10 Walther CO2 cartridges total cost £144. The package arrived next day delivery at work, so my wife didn't see it.

First impressions and assembly.

The pistol comes in a blue plastic pistol case with a cut out for the pistol. The foam is pre-cut for two magazines, a small tin of pellets and one CO2 cartridge. This was too small for the extra bits I wanted to keep with the pistol so I purchased a flight case (room for 2 guns) from Maplins with pre-scored foam and made up my own box. The plastic box came with a broken catch and is only really of use to send the gun back should a repair be required.

This gun is heavy weighing in at 1.22kg with the red dot sight in place, about the same as or slightly more than a real Colt 45 (1.1Kg unloaded). Construction is all metal and in the hand feels slightly unbalanced and barrel heavy. As a replica it really looks and feels the part and I'm chuffed to bits with it.

The instruction book that came with the pistol is well written with clear images and it emphasises safety at every step. It does keep talking about 'using the cleaning rod' in such a way as to make me think one was supplied, it wasn't. I compromised and cut a bamboo skewer left over from a BBQ to length so that I could poke out any jammed pellets (I haven't needed it yet).

The Walther red dot sight was a new one on me, never having used one before. It is powered by a CR2032 battery and these are easily available. Mounting the 11mm rails was a simple case of loosening the grub screw on the rear sight (allen key supplied) that sits in a dovetail groove and sliding it out. The new rails have two grub screws. Though they project above the chamber, they don't interfere with the loading of magazines. The sight comes with mounts and just needed to be slid on and tightened up. A small sliding switch on the side serves to turn the dot on and off. On more expensive RD sights, I'm sure that the intensity of the dot can be varied; no such facility exists on this sight. The dot also seems large and at 3m, completely covers the normal size air rifle target. I don't really know what to expect from a RD sight but the dot is also quite diffuse and a little oval in shape on the horizontal axis.

Whilst the original Colt was a semi-auto, this replica is really a revolver. Depressing the slide lock causes the front of the slide to move forward exposing the chamber for loading. The magazines take 8 177 pellets and so far I've tried Crosman CO2 pell pellets (flat headed metal front, yellow plastic tails) and Crosman Accupels - both work equally as well.

CO2 cartridges are loaded by pressing what would be the magazine release which pushes off the spring retained right hand grip. A lever at the bottom of the grip is pulled down, the cartridge is slid in place and then a thumb screw tightened up firmly. Pushing the lever back up (takes some force) pierces the cartridge ready to fire.

Like the real Colt, there are two safeties. The thumb safety shows a red dot when ready to fire. There is also a grip safety. With thumb safety on, the trigger can't be pulled and with thumb off but grip safety on the trigger can be pulled but nothing happens.

First few hundred pellets

The pistol can be discharged using single action by cocking the hammer manually or double action by pulling the trigger. Using single action the trigger is positive but quite light. On double action though the response from all who tried it was 'bloody hell'. It is very heavy and, though I haven't measured it (don’t know how), trigger weight (lbs) must be in double figures. For the first hour we shot with the normal rear sight in place and found the gun reasonably accurate but due to its weight and the feeling that it's a bit unbalanced, I won't be winning any competitions with it. I originally thought that 5 magazines (3 extra supplied in the combo) was a bit over the top but given the pistol's potential rate of fire I'm now thinking of buying a speed loader! My son hasn’t quite understood the term ‘self loading’ yet.

The gun seems to be reasonably economic on CO2. It's still early days but I think I could get 10 mags worth through it before the power starts to drop too much. Even then, there's quite a woosh when removing part empty ones. The pistol is also remarkably quiet in comparison with the other CO2 guns I've heard. The power is claimed to be about 2-3 fps.

Zeroing the red dot sight was quite a problem and I'd to resort to drastic measures in the end and read the manual! I'd been thrown because if the gun shoots high then the rear of the sight has to go down. This starts to make sense because the red dot is a reflection. Once zeroed, target acquisition was easy and many cans were easily taken out.

Summary

I've always admired the 1911 Colt and all its subsequent versions and as a replica this pistol looks and feels the part. It's a big heavy brute, almost agricultural and it turns heads at the range when I've been shooting it. On double action the trigger is very heavy but I'm hoping it will ease off a bit as the gun wears in. There will be massively more accurate and powerful CO2 pistols out there but I like this pistol.

Red dot sights? I'm still reserving judgement and I think I would have been better with the laser combo for an extra £25. Perhaps next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JUNIPERGREEN A.R.C.
    HW35e .22, BSA Scorpion 10 shot & Colt 1911A

How does the gun shoot with its fixed sights? I personally consider "Luke Skywalker" red dot and laser sighting systems on pistols a waste of time. Does the gun shoot better with your red dot sight?

Have fun with the pistol.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    If you disconnect the grip safety the gun will be easier to shoot accurately. But watch out for small parts jumping out. Alternatively tape it up, this does not look too attractive which is why I took mine apart to disconnect it.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    If you disconnect the grip safety the gun will be easier to shoot accurately. But watch out for small parts jumping out. Alternatively tape it up, this does not look too attractive which is why I took mine apart to disconnect it.
    just a shame you need to get into the grip to replace the CO2 as a nice rubber combat grip would've been ideal for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
    How does the gun shoot with its fixed sights? I personally consider "Luke Skywalker" red dot and laser sighting systems on pistols a waste of time. Does the gun shoot better with your red dot sight?

I found the fixed sights to be a bit on the high side had to keep my aim low off the target .So i rigged up a weaver rail at work so as i could fit a nice
    30mm walther red dot sight off a cp99 now shoots bang on but a bit on the heavy side .Matt

Both my Umarex CP88 and Umarex S & W came with a cleaning brush that looks like a small bottle brush. You should ring Uttings and ask them to send you one as I'm sure that it ought to have been included in the kit. Otherwise, thanks for the nice review and I hope you enjoy your new gun !

Shooting better with a red dot?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post

Thanks for your comments. I don't really consider the gun to be too accurate - I bought it for plinking and for fun. What I have found is that it shoots high when the CO2 cartridge is replaced and I must get round to checking the power against number of shots to see where the sweet spot is. With the red dot site on it's nice and quick to acquire a target (beer can) and then fill it with holes. I don't think open sites would be as good at this on rapid fire as the trigger weight makes it difficult to hold on target as it is. I did buy a speed loader and some extra magazines in the end. I also started buying pellets in bulk as we're going through 400 at a session!! I disagree a bit about red dots on pistols being a waste of time (though I concur with the Luke Skywalker analogy) - it definitely works.
    JUNIPERGREEN A.R.C.

Sound like the voice of experience

Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    Thanks Luddite, I'm a bit worried about the bits jumping out and I suspect that you may have found thisout by experience yourself or that you know someone who now has a small box of bits from a Colt . I quite like the grip safety and I especially like that it works in a replica. Some less heavy handed users have had bother with it by not squeezing the grip hard enough to take the safety off but they soon got used to it. I suppose the increase in accuracy comes from not having to grip so tightly?
    JUNIPERGREEN A.R.C.

Come on Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Si-monster View Post
    just a shame you need to get into the grip to replace the CO2 as a nice rubber combat grip would've been ideal for this.
    You're only jealous
    JUNIPERGREEN A.R.C.