Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Tempest .177 cal.

Webley Tempest .177 cal.

Greetings everyone, my first post in the site so I'll get the ball rolling with my personal review of the Webley Tempest.

I purchased the pistol from Airguns of Arizona in Oct of 2005 after having fond memories of the .22 version I used to have back in the UK in my youth.
    The pistol arrives in a plain cardboard box, upon opening I find the pistol with its owners manual which I found to be very informative. If you have any technical expertise whatsoever the manual tells you how to perform all major maintenance and care for the weapon.

The pistol also came attached with a tag boasting of Webley's 200 year history of gunmaking and another card explaining the proper lubricant's to use.
    Airguns of Arizona also sent me a letter outlining initial care of my pistol and chronographed the pistol prior to shipping, although the pellet weight was not disclosed the velocity averaged around 465fps.

Examination of the pistol brought back old memories, the pistol is very compact for its power level and the fit and finish was excellent, the only fly in the ointment was that the right grip plate was cracked, a call to Airguns of Arizona had a replacement on its way.

The pistol has fixed sights and a munual safety, the barrel is secured by the famous Webley stirrup design and is most positive in operation. The grips are plastic and feature a thumb rest on the left plate for right handed shooters. As a left hander I replaced the grips with the Beeman wooden "combat grips",a step I highly recommend for all you left handers out there.

I noticed that my pistol's trigger has a wider shoe than the .22 version I had in the past I hoped it would improve the feel of the trigger pull. I adjusted the trigger to the minimum setting and decied to give it a try.

Even with my previous experience with the pistol, the barrel over the cylinder arrangement requires technique to cock the weapon, after some practise I found it not to be an issue. The cocking action new out of the box felt somewhat coarse but with use I expected it to smooth out.

I set up my pellet trap at 6yds and shot a few pellets for group, I was getting about a 1.25" group (sorry-out of practice!). My gun's windage was spot on but the elevation was low, this pistols sight adjustment is by two small screws with lock washer, adjusting the sights was easy and requires a good fitting screwdriver so as not to chew up the screwheads. The sight picture is adequate, my only issue is that the notch on the rearsight could be a bit smaller so as to improve it.

The trigger on the pistol is its weakest point, it is somewhat heavy and the letoff could be more consistant but I feel that a trigger job will improve the feel and reduce the size of the groups, something I plan to do in the future.
    With more practice my groups got better, I shot a 1" group (5 shots) at 15yds, which for me is about the best I will do.

I find the gun very pleasant to shoot, although target shooters will complain of its mild recoil, this due to its piston moving backwards upon firing and producing recoil not unlike a firearm-good for me considering I own and carry firearms.

After putting 6000 pellets through this gun, its has actually got smoother in cocking operation, looks like a new spring will be on order soon. The only problem I encountered during ownership was the link spring, it broke after 4000 pellets. Replacement is straightforward (I remember this happening on my old pistol). I find this pistol to be great for plinking and general target shooting. I can certainly recommend this pistol to anyone who wants a spring/piston weapon that with proper care will last a lifetime.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Old-gun Guest
    yep ,, second best pistol i ever owned

Quote Originally Posted by Old-Git
    yep ,, second best pistol i ever owned
    What's the first?
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

An odd event...but it might be useful to know.

Broke the plastic safety on my Tempest, so removed the pivot it fit on so a new one could be made/fitted (made of Al.).

With the safety removed...which you should never ever do, as I'm sure it would horrify the maker and other shooters (although my first Webly didn't have a safety)....the trigger pull improved greatly!

Old-gun Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator
    What's the first?

Gamo compact
    Last edited by Old-gun; 15-05-2006 at 06:25 PM.

the webleys an old design which has stood the test of time.....i love mine, the gun has the feel of a real sidearm, nice and weighty/solid, a design classic......?

Quote Originally Posted by pugger666
    the webleys an old design which has stood the test of time.....i love mine, the gun has the feel of a real sidearm, nice and weighty/solid, a design classic......?

Totaly agree, A classic indeed

David
    "Infa-me! Infa-me! ,They've all got it Infa-me!"

I just myself a senior-its great fun!

eddie ginley Guest

Tempest

I stripped mine to replace the piston seal. While it was 'from together' I polished the edges of the sear & trigger with the finest wet & dry ....... the trigger has improved 10 fold.
    ( I had to get the piston seal mail order , 11 quid posted )

Its good to see American Webley fans
    Tomahawk Sidewinder .22 (British)

Quote Originally Posted by zorba
    Its good to see American Webley fans
    Actually I'm an expat (born in London) that now lives in the USA. I certainly don't doubt that the Tempest has lots of "Yankee' fans.

Just have a Tempest myself, a 4.5mm.
    Band rought it sechand but also have a new one, also 4.5mm.
    Cocking is smooth enough and all I hear is air sucking in, no scraping or anything. The cockingmove is a bit awkward at first but you get used to it soon and you'll find yr own best way of cocking it.
    Trigger is pretty good imo, I expected far worse from all those stories!
    Shooting 1cm groups at 6 yrds edge-edge is fairly easy and as many (bigger)10-20 shots ragged holes as you like at 10/12m. It's not a matchpistol but it's accurate enough! For now it like H&N Finale Match a lot and Lazadomes look promising.
    Don't feel it's hold sensitive a lot, unlike many say it is. Maybe cause I'm shooting large bore handgun as well. Shooting manners are pretty calm imo too. You do hear some springtwang but almost no twisting. Upon use, the unlocked barrel will get some play (unavoidable with this system) but it should be ok as long as it's play-free while locked. Sights are good enough for it's uselinking.
    I did notice both the sechand ánd the new one are pretty dry inside. Yrs too?
    I'm considering a 'lubetune'.
    Finish is good allthough you do see different materials are used. Serial number stamped a bit careless. Many safetycatches have play from new.
    Grips feel a bit thin for me, but other, wooden, grip are available.
    Most importantly; it's the MOST fun I've ever had shooting a pistol!
    It's my best buy in years! Should've done so yrs ago!
    I'm never parting with this one!
    ATB,
    yana

I was very lucky as my Webley was given to me by someone from work who found it in an old locker!

So nice to grip and looks gorgeous.

Cracking review by the way!!
    .177" Harrier X, Hydrographically dipped with custom FT Stock. .22" S410k BTAS with walnut thumbhole stock. .223 Tikka T3 Stainless Lite. CZ Varmint 17hmr. Browning and Baikal O/U 12g.

I put my back out the other week and was not overly looking forward to a few hour at the club with the HW 80 so I popped the typhoon in the car as well just in case. well after about half an hour the back started to hurt so out came the pistol, its been sat in the gun cabinet for years with the odd rub over with an oily rag when there is nothing on t.v. set a re-settable plate up at about 10 yards and stood there for well over an hour with a big smile and no back pain. the action was as remembered it and after a few shots was knocking down the target no probs, and when no-one was looking had a pop at a 20 yard plate and was hitting more than I was missing it.
    its still a great pistol after 20 odd years.
    I will have to get the 2 tempest's out next time for a play, just need the Hurricane to fill the set, better start dropping hints to the wife and Santa :rolleyes

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

reviewcentre??

Is this the same vulcanator as on reviewcentre? If so hello!

Have to say I loved the Webley Tempest and wish I'd not sold mine, though I suppose I could say that about lots of things!
    Anyway, good review.

p.s. I think the debate about the SA80 on reviewcentre finally ran out of steam... phew!

Paul