Thread: Walther G22, the good, the bad.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great report.

I was after one of these when they first came out - basically the mere existence of a l/h bull-pup, let alone semi-auto was enough for me - but it took so long for any stock to come in that I cancelled my order and bought something else instead.

When I did eventually get to handle one I was glad I hadn't bought one, for same the reasons you outline - it was immediately apparent that the trigger was apalling and that the scope mount was barely on speaking terms with the barrel.

Now that it sounds like there are fixes for both these weaknesses, maybe I'll give one a go. You mention in your report that the scope-rail fix is from Centra UK but you don't say where you got the trigger linkage done - Was this a one-off custom job or is/was there a production run?

Sorry about all the questions, but finally, where did you get the adapter for the moderator - presumably you didn't buy Walther's, which IIRC was seriously expensive?

Regarding "Walther", I'm afraid that these days it's just a brand for Umarex, who, IMHO, have more in common with Mattel than they have with Mauser (i.e. they're toymakers, not gunmakers), and badging the G22 as a Walther was a bit like calling the Quad a Sako.

The trigger fix was a custom job I made myself out of some stailess rod. Its a bit stronger that the linkage originally supplied. I just copied the bends in the original link.

The adapter was given to me by the supplier, Minsterley Ranges. If you know anyone with a lathe and a bit of skill it shouldnt be too hard to duplicate.

Incidently, after the last clean, i inadvertantly put the original trigger rod back instead of the stainless and have been using the gun with this ever since. To be honest, I have sort of got used to it!
    quando le catapulte sono messe fuorilegge solo i fuorilegge avranno le catapulte.
    When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults

Is it possible to fit a bipod, say a Harris to the G22, or would you have to get a special mount?
    Ruger 10/22 SYSS Custom .22LR WPO 6-24X50
    SBS Shotgun R.11 12G
    Air Arms S400 .177 JSR 6-24x50
    Beretta XX-Treme .177 Walther Red Dot - Probbably in Kansas with Dorothy for all I know...

BASC Member No: 500010211

"If guns cause crime, then pencils caused misspelled words"

I think you can buy a pod which fits to the weaver rail
    quando le catapulte sono messe fuorilegge solo i fuorilegge avranno le catapulte.

G22 & Harris Bipod:
    you can fit a weaver mount one or:
    you can open up the forend and fit a QD (may affect your warranty.)

Side mount walther parts are available for QD's on the sides to carry a sling.

I mounted a rear QD as well and use my usual sling and bipod.

The trigger rod can be straightened slightly, or a guide block fitted, or a stronger rod fitted. In all cases check your trigger is still safe!

My zero kept wandering but 2 things fixed it.
    a) Fit the metal shim from Walther in the forward scope riser.
    b) don't store it in the gun cabinet in the plastic travel case.

To make it better, I'd like a metal interior to the scope rail risers, solidly connected to the action.

Otherwise I love it.
    Have it set for left handed eject.
    Caution, do not fire it with the opposite hand to what it's set for.
    It almost took my mates front teeth out and he was holding back to compensate!!!

Mines likes Winchester subs.

2 jams in 800 rounds,,,still running in.

Quote Originally Posted by marconi59
    .....Side mount walther parts are available for QD's on the sides to carry a sling.
    Where did you get the side swivel mounts from?

t'was on the rimfire forum..search walther g22.
    They look like long thread equipped QD's and go into the side holes provided.