Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crossover

Ideot Savant Guest

crossover

Hi, How much crossover is acceptable? With my rifle zero'd at 35 yards I get about 2 cm at 7 yards. I've already bought some special mounts to fit the 13mm dovetails which has helped, I just cant seem to get rid of that last bit.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Bump for a little advise....

Gary C Guest
    For target shooting no. That's a mile out.
    It will also put you out at 45 yards as well.
    Check it is xover first though by checking indoors at 15 and 30 yards, or on a windless day.

Your xover could be down to you miszeroing at 35 yards - miscalculating wind will put you out at 8 yards. Equally it could be parallax error at 8 yards

Ideot Savant Guest
    The parallax is fixed at 27 and I last zero'd on a windless day. I guess it could be close range parallax error, the comb height is definatly too low, I'll check it out. Thanks

To have 2cm horizontal discrepency at 7 yds when zeroed at 35yds, your pellet path would have to be the shape of a banana (West Indies type, not EU standard straight ones).
    Parallax is likely. The other thing it could be --- Are you holding the rifle perfectly vertical ? If you're tilting it so that the scope is 2 or 3 cms from the barrel vertical this will give you a similar error at close range.
    .22 Webley Vulcan; .177 BSA MS Hornet; .177 FX Cyclone; 4 x .177 Gamo Delta's; .177 Brocock Hunter thumbhole stock; .177 Brocock Hunter Sporter.

I thought cant was not so noticeable at close range. You can tell if its crossover, not parallax, 'cos if its shooting right at 7 yards, it will be shooting left at ranges past your zero. When I get paid, I'm getting some BSquare adjustable mounts.

Gus... the Krossover King..!
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    I thought cant was not so noticeable at close range. You can tell if its crossover, not parallax, 'cos if its shooting right at 7 yards, it will be shooting left at ranges past your zero. When I get paid, I'm getting some BSquare adjustable mounts.

Gus... the Krossover King..!
    Gwylan,
    Cant will have the same effect. Imagine the extreme, zeroed at 35yds, a target held against your barrel, reticles centred at target. If there is 2cm cant then when you pull the trigger the pellet will be low by the distance from barrel to centre of scope and to the side by the distance the scope is off from the barrel centre (2cms).
    Beyond the zero, the error will change sides of the zero. ie crossover.
    .22 Webley Vulcan; .177 BSA MS Hornet; .177 FX Cyclone; 4 x .177 Gamo Delta's; .177 Brocock Hunter thumbhole stock; .177 Brocock Hunter Sporter.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Its parallax error after all, if I centre the image of the scope by moving my head around until I find the centre I'm dead straight at 7 yards.

Glad you've got it sorted.

Dave... my point was that a 2cm cant error at 7 yards would produce a huge error at 55 yards. You're right when you say cant can mimic crossover, but crossover is a mechanical problem, cant is user induced. I must use my spirit level all the time..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    Glad you've got it sorted.

Dave... my point was that a 2cm cant error at 7 yards would produce a huge error at 55 yards. You're right when you say cant can mimic crossover, but crossover is a mechanical problem, cant is user induced. I must use my spirit level all the time..!

Gus
    Gus, if you've zeroed at 35 yds it'll be spot on at that point and about 1.2cm out at 55yds. So the error won't be huge. (depending on what you meant by huge)

(2cm @ 7 yds, 1cm at 21 yds approx., 0 cm @ 35yds, 1.2cm @ 55yds approx., 2cm at 63 (35-7+35) yds)

Ok help!!
    Crossover?
    Are we talking sideways movement here, I got all confused.
    The reason Im confused is I may have one of the signs of crossover, but before I make myself next weeks candidate for Muppet of the week , can someone please explain.

Harv
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Ideot Savant Guest
    Yes, side ways. Closer than zero one way and further away t'other.
    I've cured mine with better fitting mounts, but this query turn out to be just plain parallax error.

Thanks for that.
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man
    Ok help!!
    Crossover?
    Are we talking sideways movement here, I got all confused.
    The reason Im confused is I may have one of the signs of crossover, but before I make myself next weeks candidate for Muppet of the week , can someone please explain.

Harv
    No its CrossDresser you got mate not Crossover

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sparky
    No its CrossDresser you got mate not Crossover

Pete
    They dont make panties my size mate, I've looked
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star