Thread: Barrel Shroud with 2 point mounting Advice needed.

Barrel Shroud with 2 point mounting Advice needed.

I am looking at ways of making a shroud for a springer with a cut down barrel, so the shroud will also be a cocking aid.

I can thread the muzzle and make a threaded bush to screw on to it and slide into the outer tube. This will centre the muzzle in the tube another push fit bush (nicely shaped) should take care of the breach end of the shroud.

The shroud (Thick Walled Tube) and threaded bush are aluminium; the rear bush could be alloy or delrin. The picture is not to scale.

I’ve made up a short version as a silencer using “Red Stud Locker” to glue in the treaded bush. I would prefer not to drill through the sides of the shroud and use grub screws to hold the bush in it’s not that thick 3 to 4 mm so there would not be a lot for screws to bite into.

From past experience I know how tough Stud Locker can be but I’m concerned that it might not hold when the rifle is cocked repeatedly.

Can anybody suggest a better way of fixing the threaded bush into place? I suppose I could simply flood the area between the front bush and the back bush with epoxy resin but then I would not be able to get the shroud off.

Regards Ora

Why thread the muzzle bush on. Any high strength such as bearing retainer or studlock will be more than suffice, never had one come loose as yet in all the ones i used to make before they become popular. Even better swage the collars in and locktite. Will need a mid bush as well, the alum tube will bend in an arc between front and rear collars.

Hi Alan,
    As Hareng say's use Loctite Bearing Fit. There's no way it will come off unless you heat it. Saves screwing the barrel and tapping the bush.
    On the whole will make the project easier without compromising standards.

The mid bush is a very good idea.

ATB
    Ray.

Make the bushes oversized on the outer diameter, fix them on the barrel as stated (loctite 638 is good) then put the barrel on a lathe between centres and then turn down the bushes to size.
    hence - when the pellet leaves the centre of the barrel, it also leaves the centre of the shroud (no flyers)

Make sure you make the end of the shroud properly as well and put a proper crown on it, It will make a difference.

You can pm me for info on crown etc.
    Alex
    Tomahawk Sidewinder .22 (British)

Assuming the barrel is not bent/drooped and will also need clocking up.
    Heres one i done 3 years before they started to take off in 97.
    http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/...4/56569814.jpg

Very nice!!

I doubt my first attempt will be to that standard

Regards Ora