Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snail Shooting - A Sportsman Replies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Snail Shooting - A Sportsman Replies

I note that there is an inter-net conversation on this Board debating the best way to exterminate Snails using small arms. I am shocked to see this sort of thing discussed by British citizens, not only because of its inherently cruel and Unsporting nature, but because of the wasteful attitude it reveals. Ever since Elspeth and I set up house together, we have taken care not to waste any food scraps, edible vegetation from our garden or other morsels of Nature's Bounty, but have put all to good use. The means by which this has been achieved is through the agency of that dearly beloved animal, the Pig. Each Spring we purchase the runt of a litter and feed it upon our leftovers, and also any pickings from the hedgerows. The pigs we have found to be Enormously Fond of Snails and Slugs, so simply shooting them is waste, pure and simple. Our young lad would do well to put down his pistol and fill a pail with the crunchy molluscs for a hungry pig. In November the pig can be transformed into Hams and Flitches of Bacon which may last for many months.

So, Brave Sirs, would you rather have the mean pleasure of killing a slow and defenceless invertebrate or would you rather enjoy a bacon sandwich or hot gammon? Well, Sirs, WHICH IS IT TO BE?

(People living in council 'estates' can club together and rent a 'lock-up' which may be converted to a makeshift dwelling for a porker, so this ancient tradition really is Available to All, rich and poor alike.)

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    I note that there is an inter-net conversation on this Board debating the best way to exterminate Snails using small arms. I am shocked to see this sort of thing discussed by British citizens, not only because of its inherently cruel and Unsporting nature, but because of the wasteful attitude it reveals. Ever since Elspeth and I set up house together, we have taken care not to waste any food scraps, edible vegetation from our garden or other morsels of Nature's Bounty, but have put all to good use. The means by which this has been achieved is through the agency of that dearly beloved animal, the Pig. Each Spring we purchase the runt of a litter and feed it upon our leftovers, and also any pickings from the hedgerows. The pigs we have found to be Enormously Fond of Snails and Slugs, so simply shooting them is waste, pure and simple. Our young lad would do well to put down his pistol and fill a pail with the crunchy molluscs for a hungry pig. In November the pig can be transformed into Hams and Flitches of Bacon which may last for many months.

So, Brave Sirs, would you rather have the mean pleasure of killing a slow and defenceless invertebrate or would you rather enjoy a bacon sandwich or hot gammon? Well, Sirs, WHICH IS IT TO BE?

(People living in council 'estates' can club together and rent a 'lock-up' which may be converted to a makeshift dwelling for a porker, so this ancient tradition really is Available to All, rich and poor alike.)
    Dear Sir,

How do you propose to humanely despatch the porker when the time is right?

Cheers
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

it would be madness to shoot a snail with anything less then HMR due to the ricochet hazard......surely everone knows this

Mad Mark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601
    Dear Sir,

Cheers
    12 FOOT POUNDS DO IT

Quote Originally Posted by mad mark
    12 FOOT POUNDS DO IT
    If you drop a sharp 1lb pointy thing onto the porkers head from 12 feet then YES!

Cheers

A friend and I did an experiment with a 12bore and a golf ball once, point blank and it survived unmarked
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!

Dear Sir,

Cheers

Your local council or MAFF official can give you a list of men with the appropriate credentials and equipment to despatch your pig. The local chiropodist has this task within her portfolio, and covers most of the east Neuk of Fife for domestic pigs. (Top tip; straw is excellent for singeing the carcass).

Hmmm, one thinks this is too public for a 'Private Function'.

Cheers

Hmmm, one thinks this is too public for a 'Private Function'.

Cheers
    Bloody good film...." joyce, i can smell a smell"
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Right, who's kidnapped the real Mr D?

Your local council or MAFF official can give you a list of men with the appropriate credentials and equipment to despatch your pig. The local chiropodist has this task within her portfolio, and covers most of the east Neuk of Fife for domestic pigs. (Top tip; straw is excellent for singeing the carcass).
    i might have got this wrong but its ok for someone else to kill an animal for you but people are wrong if they kill there own animal.
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Quote Originally Posted by ross H
    i might have got this wrong but its ok for someone else to kill an animal for you but people are wrong if they kill there own animal.
    Only a person licensed by Her Majestie's Government may truncate the life of a pig. I have no qualms about culling rabbits, pigeons etc with my BSA Airsporter at ranges where my skill ensures an quick end to the creature.

Only a person licensed by Her Majestie's Government may truncate the life of a pig. I have no qualms about culling rabbits, pigeons etc with my BSA Airsporter at ranges where my skill ensures an quick end to the creature.
    so if there are no quarms about dispatching rabbit ect were is the problem, i wouldnt have taken the snails thing to heart mate, you seem like a bit of a serious chap
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mfr marcus
    Wasn't the snail shooting post just a laugh kin hell what is going on this pc cr.p is driveing me mad .cheers marcus
    Yes, I thought I was joking

Quote Originally Posted by mfr marcus
    Wasn't the snail shooting post just a laugh kin hell what is going on this pc cr.p is driveing me mad .cheers marcus
    What do you think this thread is ?

Only a person licensed by Her Majestie's Government may truncate the life of a pig.
    Would it be legal to remove a leg without dispatching the porker, just to see if it's ready for harvesting? You could numb the limb first using acupuncture.