Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zenith

Zenith

Not seen any reviews on one of these anywhere, so thought I would do a little one of my own.

Just had some mods done to the stock (so it fits me better) by Mick Troman, and what a super job he's done.
    Got home with it this afternoon and scoped it up with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 mildot. Got a 30yd zero in 5 pellets then put a group of 10 on a 15mm disc, with a fairly stiff breeze blowing.

There are not many of these around, and I have only managed to have a go of 4 of them. The one I have got is very smooth to shoot and as accurate, if not more accurate than my Steyr LG100. There are quite a few variations around in all kinds of stocks. The trigger unit on mine is off a CR97, and is very crisp. Lock time is quick as well.

Tried loads of different pellets in all sorts of sizes (except 4.53s) I sat in the garden with 8 tins of pellets of varying sizes.
    Daystate 4.51s and 4.52s
    Air Arms 4.51s and 4.52s
    JSB Exact 4.51s and 4.52s
    Webley lazadomes
    Webley Mosquitoes 7.9grain

Best group I had was with the Air Arms 4.51 and the JSB 4.51s only 9mm centre to centre at 35yds. The other pellets didn't group that bad either, the worst group was with the Daystate 4.52s at 15mm cetre to centre but one of these was a bit of a flyer, or I pulled it.

Really enjoyed my time with this rifle today, and I hope all the other owners of the Zenith's out there enjoy their's too.

Attached a couple of pics for those who are interested.

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS
    nice little review of a very rare beast indeed

Thanks very much mate. I am sure there are others out there who appreciate superb craftsmanship.

Well done Nick Murphy and Tim Williams.

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    I have had 4 of these beautiful guns 012, 013, 014 and 007. All are very different.
    012 was a pig to load as the loading port was too small.
    013 was very consistant, the first shot after a refill was right on 785, the same as the next 80 give or take a couple of f/p/s.
    014 was the only anodised one and was the most beautiful of them all.
    007 is the only one of the 4 to have a loading trough a la Ripley and is a bit awkward to load. It just loves Premiers but is not air efficient with them. When set at 801 ft/sec it will do 816 with Exacts. Why? don't know, will ask Nick M next time that I see him.
    So beautiful guns but no 2 the same as every one has a different combination of barrel, trigger and loading port. 012, 013 and 014 loading straight into the barrel a la Steyr.
    All were as accurate and consistant as anybody could want.

Not sure, but I think my friend Val has got No 7 now.
    Steve Mason has got one, Nick and Tim have got one, and there is greedy person somewhere in Yorkshire who has got 4 of them (Sorry Ken). Of course not all of them are numbered but this does not make them inferior in any way. Should be getting another one in couple of weeks time if all goes to plan.

Nah Sniper, I've still got 007. Anyway you're a bit greedy yourself getting a second one. Would like to have a review of it and number/history/barrel etc. You may not have guessed but I'm a tiny bit obsessive about Zeniths.
    Un-numbered ones are conversion and not made from scratch as numbered ones are.
    I also run a couple of Loop Comps, a 40 and a 45, both Premier Reticle models, but they sit atop my Steyrs, my competition guns.
    Last edited by luddite; 25-05-2006 at 07:34 AM.

Hi Luddite, will certainly let you know all about it when I get it. I actually sold my Steyr because the Zenith was more accurate. They are superb rifles. I am also waiting for a Leupold Competiton Series 45/45 to go on the Zenith I already own. Will do a little review on the other one when it arrives, and do a comparison between the two.
    Nice to see a fellow enthusiast. All the best. Sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-wolf
    Not sure, but I think my friend Val has got No 7 now.
    Steve Mason has got one, Nick and Tim have got one, and there is greedy person somewhere in Yorkshire who has got 4 of them (Sorry Ken). Of course not all of them are numbered but this does not make them inferior in any way. Should be getting another one in couple of weeks time if all goes to plan.
    I have 003 although not for much longer and also was the previous owner of 007 - one day it'll return to me.

regards,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I have 003 although not for much longer and also was the previous owner of 007 - one day it'll return to me.

regards,

Matt
    It's good to have a dream Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite
    Un-numbered ones are conversion and not made from scratch as numbered ones are.
    Not strictly true Ken, 007 was originally a Daystate Huntsman - think the only things left of the Daystate now are the trigger, barrel and cylinder. I was intending to take it across to Germany for the World Champs, a couple of years ago, hence requiring a serial number putting on it.

regards,

Matt

Does this mean that there may be 2 007s ?
    If so then Sniper-wolf's mate may well have 007 as well.
    Thought it strange that s/n was not on the trigger block as the rest are, thought that you had probably had the CRX trigger put on later so had s/n transferred to action.

Ken,

No, there should be only one 007 and that is the one you have.

Nick took the serial number off a list he has of all the guns made converted.

007 used to belong to Darren Haywood, then me and now you. The CRX trigger unit was fitted after I bought the gun, trigger unit used to belong to Dave Baines.

regards,

Matt

Wink

Hi Neil, nice to meet you today, hope that you did better than I did at the Anglo. My Steyr was down on power and I missed 12 targets. Have turned it back up to 785 ft/sec as it had dropped to 770, just enough to catch the bottom of the kill zone. Should have used a Zenith.

Wink

Neil

Just picked up on this thread so I thought I would add to the trail. The Zenith I have is No 16. As you know, the Zenith is a great rifle and its good to see that you are enjoying yours. I am still amazed that you are getting another, but I can understand why.

See you on Sunday

Val

Quote Originally Posted by Val S
    Neil

Just picked up on this thread so I thought I would add to the trail. The Zenith I have is No 16. As you know, the Zenith is a great rifle and its good to see that you are enjoying yours. I am still amazed that you are getting another, but I can understand why.

See you on Sunday

Val
    D'ya know Val S I don't understand why he wants two. He's just greedy.