Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best FAC rated airgun

Question Best FAC rated airgun

I am thinking about getting an FAC, I fancy a 0.22 PCP with a similar trajectery (have I spelt it right?) to a standard 0.177, I am lead to believe this would be about 28ft/lb.
    I also want a good number of shots per charge.
    The BSA superten is reasonably priced,

Opinions please........

Depending on what pellets you use 23fpe is nearer the mark. My mate has a BSA Hornet carbine which is doing 23fpe and it is incredibly accurate up to 80yds. His has been uprated by John Bowkett and gives 35 shots at that level until it drops off. BSA barrels do seem very good in .22 so a JB tuned superten should do the business. I tried a S10 bullpup last week and it did seem very front heavy and ill balanced so see if you can try before you buy. There are Rapid and Airwolf fans on here but for the money a well sorted BSA does the business.
    Last edited by Norfolkngood; 31-05-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Budget is a major factor here...

If you fall into the "up to £400 group" of FAC air rifle buyers then a "sorted" BSA or an Air Arms S400E are certainly worth considering.

If you are in the "up to £900" group then a Rapid MkII would be the way forward for super high quality FAC performance.

I have one in .20 calibre running @ 28 ft./lbs and it is magnificent!

Neil
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

I used to use a MK2 Rapid with the Anshutz trigger but found I couldnt adjust it light enough due to the weight of the hammer spring pushing on it. I now use a MK3 Sport at 28ft/lbs and it's shear heaven, no matter what the power the trigger stays the same.

Kev
    Last edited by kev hughes; 31-05-2006 at 05:51 PM.
    You laugh at me because I'm strange I laugh at you because your stupid!
    A Turkey is for Christmas not for life.

Arrow

You will find different opinions on this subject split between Daystate and Theoben!! As you might guess from my user name I use a Rapid 2 in .22 with Ben Taylor regulator and am absolutely delighted with it. Reliable, powerful, 90 shots per fill and smooth, SOOOO smooth!! The other rifles to consider at the 'top end' are the Daystate Air Wolf and also the Daystate Mk 3 Sport which are usefully cheaper.
    You won't go wrong with any of them. Stick to around 28-30 ft lb and you will get the best out of this fantastic tool.

I would suggest maybe an FX Cyclone or Cutlas?
    Nice rifles....
    2 x Rapids
    FX
    AA etc..

Graeme Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71
    If you fall into the "up to £400 group" of FAC air rifle buyers then a "sorted" BSA or an Air Arms S400E are certainly worth considering.

If you are in the "up to £900" group then a Rapid MkII would be the way forward for super high quality FAC performance.

I have one in .20 calibre running @ 28 ft./lbs and it is magnificent!

Neil

Sorry to jump in mikewareing

Just like to ask Neil what Pellets your using in the .20 running at that power level.

Thanks, Graeme

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme
    Sorry to jump in mikewareing

Just like to ask Neil what Pellets your using in the .20 running at that power level.

Thanks, Graeme
    Unless Neil has become poorer recently I believe that he uses Crosman Premiers
    How is the lottery win then Neil?

RapidNick is correct in one respect Graeme. I do use Crosman Premiers. Unfortunately he is wide of the mark with the lottery win! Maybe tonight could be my lucky night though.

Premiers are expensive (£16 for 650) but I enjoyremarkable results with them from my Mk2 Rapid. The rabbits and magpies of Greater Manchester would not concur with observation I'm sure!

Neil
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71
    Premiers are expensive (£16 for 650) but I enjoyremarkable results with them from my Mk2 Rapid. The rabbits and magpies of Greater Manchester would not concur with observation I'm sure!
    Neil
    You're not wrong there Neil!! Ridiculously overpriced would be the way I would describe the price of Premiers. Half the price of quality .22LR is ludicrous in my view. Thus my 'joke' about you winning the lottery!

i use a HW100S fac model running at about 25FtLbs. I have put on a venom cylinder which improves balance. I find it an excellent airrifle and should be on your shortlist.
    when there's lead in the air there's hope!

clubshot Guest

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by BWH
    i use a HW100S fac model running at about 25FtLbs. I have put on a venom cylinder which improves balance. I find it an excellent airrifle and should be on your shortlist.

What Calibre and how many Shots ?

BOB/R

clubshot Guest

Thumbs up

I have a BSA Scorpion Carbine Rifle in .177
    Great rifle

And have discussed with John Bowkett about possiblities of
    getting one in FAC

He states that he has just finished work on such beasts

Lower end of the Market and expect it will make a Real
    Nice FAC Rifle

Especially with our New 21.00 Grain Air Bullets
    Which we are well aware it will fire
    In a RFD test area

BOB/R

rapid is the best 1.

your decision about buying a .22 for the fac is wise......at around 28ft.lbs. the .22 should be nearly as flat as a .177 and the pellet will stay subsonic.
    Last edited by ikarma70; 02-06-2006 at 06:40 AM.

The HW100 is in .22 and I get 45 full power shots at 25FtLbs. Persinnaly I have never needed more except when setting up the scope when I have the air bottle with me. The things that I liked particularily were a safety catch that was part of the original design not some heathrobinson after thought as well as a simple magazine system and the fact that you cant double load the weihrauch. It has a good trigger and is accurate with air arms pellets. This may not be enough shots for you but if it is I highly recomend the HW100.
    when there's lead in the air there's hope!