Thread: shooting advice

running round the wild's of somerset in a pink rom

shooting advice

i would class my self as a good shot,but when it comes to standing shots im not so great,im ok but would like a to be better

luckly 90% of my shots are kneeling or rested

what are our tips for staying steady

wiggles
    theoben sirocco .177 hawke nite eye 3-9x50 >clicky<

the moose(new picture) >clicky<

Contrary to what you might have heard, game animals are not hard to kill. No warm-blooded animal can live without a heart, except for the possible exceptions of ex-wives

don't drink that 'lucky bottle of whisky' before you go out

I'm not very good at standing shots but I am slowly improving. I have accepted that I cannot hold the rifle still. The trick I am trying to learn is to just be in as much control as possible of the movement, and predict when the cross hair is going to be on target and time the trigger function appropriately. A good predictable trigger is very important and a fast lock time helps as well

Practice!!!

on a serious note..... about 95% of my shots are taken standing. if you can find a tree/gate/fencepost to rest your body against it will help.

try to slow your breathing to lower your heart rate. never walk for ages without taking short breaks, keep your arms as well rested as possible,

train while watching telly!!!!! get some weights that are equivalent to your rifle and hold them out in front of you for 30 seconds at a time (while your sitting on the sofa IS fine!!) arms straight. keep doing reps of about 5 in 5 minutes, rest for 10 minutes. another set etc..... it will build up the muscle endurance in your arms thus meaning that for the 10 seconds you've got the rifle shouldered, your arms and joints are used to the strain so you should be able to keep the rifle a lot steadier

With standing shots, I find wobble tends to come more from legs than arms/shoulders.

Don't stand.
    Seriously though, for most standing hunting shots, you will have some sort of support nearby, tree, fence e.t.c., use it.
    It's what I do.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    AA S410, one gun, and I know how to use it.

How long have you got.....???
    Have a look at the BFTA training manual, theres a lot of good info there.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Be sure you have a stable standing position. I, for instance, tend to stand too much on my toes, giving an unstable position.
    Secondly, try different handpositions. I noticed that my most stable handpositions are: stock between fingers (painfull if it takes too long/ too many shots), or stock resting on 3 fingers(not very suitable for heavy springers). You could also try resting it on top of yr hand (10m match position). Use what suits you best.Maybe use a (target)glove.
    Also try to tuck yr elbow into yr side, is also more stable.
    And relax that left arm& hand, any tension in it will make it unstable.
    ATB,
    yana

Arrow Standing

I was taught that it is near impossible to hold on aim for a standing shot. Some rare people can but not most! the secret is to come up on aim from a proper stance, aquire the target quickly and touch off the shot. if you have trouble come down off aim and try again, with practice it becomes one smooth movement. I am no expert but in another life I have seen it done and it works. But yes it's far better to find a tree or fence.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    How long have you got.....???
    Have a look at the BFTA training manual, theres a lot of good info there.

Gus
    here it is - http://www.airgunshed.co.uk/BFTA/tec...lls_manual.pdf

The whole of it's worth studying, but the standing guide starts on page 22.

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member