Thread: Knife sharpening.

Knife sharpening.

Hi

I bought a small diamond shapening stone and need to sharpen my new knife.

In order to keep the angles uniform, I have mounted the sharpening stone in a holder and put the holder in a vice at 67 degrees. The knife is mounted in another homemade holder and is at 90 degrees. I then push and pull the knife backwards and forwards onto the stone.

What I notice is that I get a perfectly uniform edge, but it does not seem to be as sharp as when I first bought the knife. The instructoins on the stone say that I have to push the blade against the stone as if I am trying to carve it and this is not, in effect, what I am doing, and this could be my problem.

Before I make another sharpening jig, has anyone any ideas?

Cam

Inspect the edge with a magnifying glass. It could be that you have ground the bevel nicely, but missed the actual edge.
    Then feel for burrs using your fingernail.

You might like to try a few strokes with a ceramic rod after you've sharpened it. The rod puts 'bite' back onto the blade.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Snock

Will do!

Thanks for that.

I have just done a search on the BBS (more haste, less speed) and a Lansky Sharpener has turned up.

Cam

Lansky.

Good kit!
    Have you looked on here?
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Snock

Thanks for the site referral, just one or two thinks for me to read!

Cam

It's a very informative site Cam, it might pay to register and gain access to the hidden areas.
    I'm a member there, but don't let that put you off!!

I wished I hadn't looked

I did a search about the CRKT My Tighe, one of the results is "Bad Steel, good knives"

Cam

Hi Snock

Yep, I have had a good look at my blade and it is bur. I reckon that the reason for the instructions saying that you should "carve the stone", is that it gets rid of the swarf more efficiently?

I have stropped the blade on some cardboard (can't find any leather) and it feels a bit better.

Cam

Great news!
    Cam, if I can find it, I know I have some 4'' leather drive belt lying around somewhere.
    I use a 12'' length ( ) to strop my blades. If I find it, I'll PM you for your address and send you some.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by snock
    Great news!
    Cam, if I can find it, I know I have some 4'' leather drive belt lying around somewhere.
    I use a 12'' length ( ) to strop my blades. If I find it, I'll PM you for your address and send you some.

Pete.
    Snock, you are a gent. Thanks.

Cam

I ain't found it yet!!
    But I will send some if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell
    I wished I hadn't looked

I did a search about the CRKT My Tighe, one of the results is "Bad Steel, good knives"

Cam
    Don't stress, the Tighe is a superb knife, I've got folders ranging from £5 to £500 and that is a good knife. Like any enthusiasts site you can easily get lost in the fine detail; perhaps if you were HALO dropping into Iran alone to stop WW3 you may need something more, but for cutting card, rope, light wood etc. it keeps a razor edge!

Quote Originally Posted by Waelwulfas
    Don't stress, the Tighe is a superb knife, I've got folders ranging from £5 to £500 and that is a good knife. Like any enthusiasts site you can easily get lost in the fine detail; perhaps if you were HALO dropping into Iran alone to stop WW3 you may need something more, but for cutting card, rope, light wood etc. it keeps a razor edge!
    Hi Waelwulfas

Many sincere thanks for the assurance. It's typical, I buy a knife THEN find a knife forum!

£500 on a knife! Does the wife know?

Thanks again.

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell
    Hi Waelwulfas

Many sincere thanks for the assurance. It's typical, I buy a knife THEN find a knife forum!

£500 on a knife! Does the wife know?

Thanks again.

Cam
    I am blessed after 20 years of marriage with a wife who looks on the net at any anniversary and says 'which knife do you want'!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Waelwulfas
    I am blessed after 20 years of marriage with a wife who looks on the net at any anniversary and says 'which knife do you want'!!!!

Cam