Thread: HFT Scope upgrade

HFT Scope upgrade

Upgrading from old AGS Swat for HFT only - Looked at ELITE 4200s, BURRIS and LEUPOLD ranges. Not phased by price. But seem to be buying "bells and whisles" I do not need?
    At its simplest. I believe I could live with a fixed 10x on a 30mm tube and a 50mm objective front end. Simple parralax adjustment and Duplex or M/Dot reticules. The killer is depth of field. What gives best focus between 10 and 50 metres only?
    Someone else must have wrestled with this problem?
    Some informed opinion mosy welcomed.

I would have thought that the most important aspect of buying a good HFT scope would be the style of Ret......how else do you rangefind?....If you can bracket useing the ret you're 75% of the way there. I know that not all the kill sizes really are 15,25 & 40mm(although they really should be ) but being able to accurarely judge the range is paramount?.......i personally use a combination of eye first and see if my bracketing marks concur. .

The current dark horse on the HFT circuit is Brian Samson, PM him and ask what scope he's using....he's a nice bloke and i'm sure wouldn't mind. For me its a SR6. It seems to be working(58 out of 60 at Ponty) and there's not many i miss due to mis-rangeing

With the SR6 set at 10 mag and a PA of approx 35yds i can see from 55yds down to approx 15yds....anything under 15yds is a bit blurry so thats where the mk1 eyeball comes in.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by xxrobrsvxx
    The Falcon Range of scopes are very good, try doing a search on here Falcon Scopes MP20 is an Ideal HFT scope, very differcult if not impossible to better for the price and performance.

Rob

I would have to agree with Rob great scope and a good price

Steve

http://www.falconoptics.com/10x42.php

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    a 50mm objective is the last thing you want for HFT !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

He he ....Nice one Rob...should have clicked the link
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Toying with the idea of a Leup 3-9x33EFR fitted with a mil-dot ret myself.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    Ask Bri about the Cloop, it is a winner. I love mine.If you are interested I can PM you a contact.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
    If you can bracket useing the ret you're 75% of the way there. I know that not all the kill sizes really are 15,25 & 40mm(although they really should be )
    (emboldening mine)

I don't think that's right mate. I certainly wouldn't base bracketing on that assumption.

Check the UKAHFT course layout PDF on the UKAHFT site. Targets can be any size between 15mm and 40mm.

The constraints are about where you can place these variously sized KZs. For example you could have a 33mm KZ target at 35 yards or a 23mm KZ at 30 yards.

I haven't really got into bracketing so I'm not sure how much a 4mm size difference would make but it could, on a windy day, mean the difference between getting a centre of KZ elevation thus allowing for plenty of movement and getting a top of KZ elevation and missing the KZ.

Only if you don't wobble like I do!

Quote Originally Posted by weevie
    (emboldening mine)

I don't think that's right mate. I certainly wouldn't base bracketing on that assumption.

Check the UKAHFT course layout PDF on the UKAHFT site. Targets can be any size between 15mm and 40mm.

It's 15mm to 45mm

But a scope that can be used for bracketing is a definate benefit for people who do bracket, i only bracket 15mm targets but some other shooters do all.

Pete

Pete, that's because you are a show off

Pete, glad to hear you only bracket 15mm's cos you are gonna love our 18mm targets @ SAGC ; now is that a 18mm @ 16 yards or a 15mm @ 13 yards, dink

Rob

Evil B*%*%*%*%

Pete

zooankski Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky
    Evil B*%*%*%*%

Pete
    He He He- we have been busy
    we are trying to make the whole thing something different to give everyone a fair chance and not just those who know thier ranges using mildots and charts

Pete

Oh well only took a quick look at the pdf, I s'pose you ought to know

Pete, that's because you are a show off

Pete, glad to hear you only bracket 15mm's cos you are gonna love our 18mm targets @ SAGC ; now is that a 18mm @ 16 yards or a 15mm @ 13 yards, dink

Rob
    Rob

Thanks for making me right!