Thread: Torch help please

Torch help please

Just bought an X-verminator scope torch and for the money it has been ideal for the ratting i've been doing lately, used it once with the batteries supplied and it was fine, but, as soon as I tried to use some rechargable 3v CR123A batteries the bulb popped? Def used 3v and not 3.7v, anyone got any suggestions why this would happen? Also does anyone know if theirs an LED conversion available for these torches? Cheers in advance

bin there done that

you'll find if you check the batts on full charge they'll be 4.4 volts each. each battery is made up off 2x 2.2 volt cells . i blew 2 bulbs before i found this out. solution is to up the voltage of your bulb, i bought a led bulb on the bay from hong kong about £12 posted.my rechargables are 3.0 volts and 3.7 both read on a meter 4.4 best of luck simon.

Thanks Simon, just to confirm is yours an X-Verminator? And if so would you happen to remember where you got your new bulb from, cheers

My take on it is this.

The X Verminator torch takes 3X3 volt CR123A primary lithium batteries to power a 9 volt Xenon lamp.

Rechargeable lithium batteries for this light come in two types, Regulated 3 volt and normal 4.2 volt, both the same size as the batteries that came with your light.

The rechargeable regulated ones should work but the normal type will pop your lamp quick time.

It will help if you have a multi-meter and measure what each cell is putting out. If you are using the 3 volt regulated type then one or more could be faulty and giving too many volts. Or the lamp may have just gone after being knocked?

New Xenon lamps are readily available and cheap. Also Cree Led drop-in heads are widely available and are all the same size so fit most 'tactical' torches, plus you can freely use rechargeable lithiums known as RCR123A or 16340's.

Steve.

Primary cells and rechargables work on different voltages AND different amperages.

If it underperforms in either not a problem but if either is over - pop.

Always check to see if your gear is designed to run on primary cells or rechargables.

If it is LED, you could stuff up the emitter and the driver too - and that is game over :-(

As the old addage says, measure twice - cut once
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Dont bother trying to get spares from the manufacturer, I think they have gone bust.
    Phones and email not working/replied to

Thanks chaps, got it off that auction site and have to say they've been very good and are sending me a new bulb. Like the idea of an LED upgrade though have seen the surefire one so might have a go with that.