Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: law on large calaber air rifles

nasha Guest

law on large calaber air rifles

hi guys whats the law on large calibar air rifles ?
    im talking 9mm realy iv seen a pistol i like that it that caliber but im conserned it might be on and fac ticket,
    i know your gona say about power etc but i want it foe garden work on targets and plinking.
    ok thanks for any help ..

9mm at 6 ft/lbs would barely move. Buy a .22 HW45

a9mm air pistol ? still 6 ftlb sorry,

nasha Guest
    i knew you wold say that.
    http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=350

also i know this is fac as standard but id like to get one at legal limit can any body help ?
    http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=961

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Is the law the same for small calibre pistols??!!
    Master Debater

wow 12 shots per powerlet! Could get pricey!

i wouldnt bother with a 9mm at 6ft.lbs

Quote Originally Posted by nasha
    i knew you wold say that.
    http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=350

also i know this is fac as standard but id like to get one at legal limit can any body help ?
    http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=961
    No, we can't help you. Look, think about this a bit instead of just dreaming.
    Do the maths for the Drulov and you'll find it'll give you 212 fps at 6ftlbs. Is that really going to be useful for anything?
    The Evanix a US-spec pistol made in Korea. There's no incentive for them to produce a lower power version as the market for it would be too small.

Jonathan (having a Gary C moment)

Why the fascination for a 9mm ?

In a UK legal 6ft lb pistol, you might as well have a shopping trolley at the end of the barrel and wheel it to the target.

Complete waste of time IMHO.

Unless you live in a country where the law allows higher output or where thay dont have knee jerk reaction politicians
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

nasha Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot
    No, we can't help you. Look, think about this a bit instead of just dreaming.

Jonathan (having a Gary C moment)
    of its we is it you like to be in a gruop hay jonathan.

i dont understand the constant dick wad attitude on here !!
    this is an air gun forum is it not ?
    this is and air gun related topic?
    i am asking lagitamet questions am i not ?

so why all the bloody abuse ..

ok the 9mm is a bad idea but with so many members i thought maybe one or two might have experiance with the gun as there are people from other countrys on here ..

but the evanix is a nice looking gun that could im sure be restricted to a legal limit in the uk ..
    it looks good and is at a price that would make it viable as an option to import ..

ok maybe im not shooting a ripley ar at national level with a leopold scope blar blar but lets be honest who is ???

so please can you guys tone it down and actualy try to help a littel..
    all the best matt

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Easy Tiger. Don't start flinging insults.

What has been said to you is simple, the pistol even at 6PFE would be totally useless even as a plinker in the back garden, you would be better off with one of those G10 repeaters, or a pea shooter.

If you lived in the good ol USA then its a different matter as you can legally have a higher power.

Airifles and pistols have thier limitations and here in the UK 9mm would be a waste of time unless you had an FAC and could get the pistol legally imported???
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

You can't have an FAC air pistol, it's Section 5, same as a .44 Magnum or 9mm Sig etc.

You may be able to get a restricted Hunting Master, but it would be a lot of hassle.

If you really want a large calibre airgun, get an FAC and then you can have a rifle, one of these would be nice. Barnes Pneumatic

Works of art in different calibres and 80 ft/lb or more, now that would kill a coke can

Or a cheap way would be get a Stealth and 9mm it, very popular in Holland.

Ben
    Last edited by master_shriller; 19-06-2006 at 12:54 PM.

nasha Guest
    very nice !
    not quite the same tho ..

To answer your first question, the law on airguns doesn't restrict the calibre as far as I know. The limit is on the muzzle energy, which is 12 ft lbs for a rifle and 6 for a pistol. Anything higher than that, even a tiny bit, and you're in trouble without a FAC.

The Drulov pistol, based on the figures quoted for the pellet weight and muzzle velocity should do about 5.78 ft lbs, so it would be legal in the UK. Basically energy = weight x velocity, so where energy is a fixed value (because of the law) the heavier the pellet the slower it has to move to stay under 6 ft lbs.

I've not found the people on here to be elitist. Because from your post there's no way of telling how much experience you have, or how much you know about air weapons, all they're trying to do is stop you from making a potentially costly mistake.

Assuming you can get the pistol over here, you're going to be going through a co2 powerlet overy twelve shots and they cost around 80p each. Plus have you checked if you can get the right pellets for it and how much they cost? Most airgun shops stock pellets in .177, .22 and some in .25, but I've *never* seen anything approaching 9mm.

At the end of the day, no-one's going to stop you from buying one if you stay within the law. If you can live with the cost of gas and pellets (if you can find them) and the lack of accuracy that slower pellets usually cause, by all means get one. Personally I can think of several pistols that would be better for casual target shooting and plinking, but it's your money.

Chris

Brocock were advertising these, I haven't heard anything about them, anybody got any info, calibres, prices availability etc?

Ben