Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which springer is more forgiving ?

levidog is offline I got wood.........Bzzzzzz

Which springer is more forgiving ?

So Guys, the question follows a number of interesting threads over the last month or so.

I have a 1983, recently Lazerglided HW77 in a 97 stock that is a dream to shoot, that is when I get everything right. It is very hold sensitive with a difference of 2 inches from prone to kneeling.

I have read on here that the HW97 is good straight out of the box and the TX200 forgiving.

I am considering investing in another springer to compete.

Thoughts please........

Sean

Sean would you like to try my tuned Delux P/s next week?
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Arrow

If your rifle is hold sensitive then you need a stock that 'fixes' your head in the same position relative to the scope and rifle. I think you need a new stock not a new rifle! Good luck anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man
    Sean would you like to try my tuned Delux P/s next week?
    I would love to Harv, I'll make sure I wash my hands before touching that gorgeous stock.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick
    If your rifle is hold sensitive then you need a stock that 'fixes' your head in the same position relative to the scope and rifle. I think you need a new stock not a new rifle! Good luck anyway.
    What a fascinating thought. I changed the scope mounts for that reason but never thought of the stock.

Sean

baxterbasics Guest
    Fit a Gerhmann but plate-smaller than a hook and UKAHFT legal-Buddyboy uses one to ensure his rifle mounts in the same position every time

What about a BSA Superstar?

Or - something more unusual, even ithough it's not very fashionable
    -------------------------- a Gamo CFX Royal fitted with a gasram?

Northernspark Guest
    TX200SR

Steve

If you've already got an HW, it would make sense to try a TX, or ProSport.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by levidog

It is very hold sensitive with a difference of 2 inches from prone to kneeling.

I have read on here that the HW97 is good straight out of the box and the TX200 forgiving.

I am considering investing in another springer to compete.

Thoughts please........

Sean
    2 inches..? at what range?

i have a 97k...it shifted 1/4-1/2 inch at 25 yds in different positions, although a good old session indoors working on my position reduced this down considerably...i suggest a critical look at your position may help, as it might be down to the balance of the gun and it's recoil reaction around a pivot point (your forearm hand) thats causing the shift. Therefore a new gun may not help.

A stock that sits the eye in the same position in all positions will be hard to find...and dialing out parralax would reduced this effect,if you can

If its consistant, then you can shoot around it.

Paul Hudson Guest
    I tend to agree with the other guys that it's more likely to be your position than any fault with the rifle. My own 97 doesn't display any shift in POI from classic FT sitting , through kneeling to standing - but it is sat in a stock that fits perfectly AND it weighs 16.5lbs.

The stock fit helps make sure I get the right position each time, and the weight adds stability.

Another thing that can affect the POI is the feel of the trigger. If it's breaking too early or too late, you might be unconciously dropping or raising the barrel as it releases. An uncomfortable position can exacerbate trigger problems...

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hudson
    but it is sat in a stock that fits perfectly AND it weighs 16.5lbs.
    Your stock weighs 16.5lbs!
    Is that the stock alone without the action?
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

BigEars Guest
    As a relative beginner, an explanation of hold sensitivity and its importance would be very gratefully received.

it varies a little, depending on the position...sure, but relaxed is the best way i can imagine to describe it...probably no tighter than you'd hold someone's hand....you dont want to drop it, but squeezing the life out of it wont do you any favours...you dont want to be seeing the whites of your knuckles. Try and find the natural zero of the position and if thats not on target, shift position so it is rather than moving the gun...placing your hand on the pistol grip area shouldnt affect its aim.

If you have a hard contact point the rifle will move around it when recoiling....which is why bipods dont work and people have zero shift when benching compared to other positions.

Once i got used to shooting prone like i do .22 rimfire (with my elbow central under the forestock) i found a lot less problems...these days my biggest problem is my trigger pull and follow through...i need to concentrate to do it, and a few shots on target is enough to get me complacent again. I was amazed at how much trigger pull and lack of follow can cock up your shooting...for me i consider it now to be a critical part of the shot process.

well, thats my ideas on it anyway

good fun shooting springers, teaches you a lot.

Old-gun Guest
    easy one this a TX200SRas was said in an earlier post
    they don't make them anymore ,but it was probably the most forgiving full power spring gun ever made .
    Last edited by Old-gun; 19-06-2006 at 07:42 PM.