Thread: Need advise on laser for range finding

Need advise on laser for range finding

Hello fellow enthusiasts

I would like to use a laser for range finding while lamping while using a .177 BSA Superten zeroed at 35 yards.

Please can anyone advise
    1. How high the laser should be above the scope ?
    2. Whats the best distance to zero it to ?
    3. Are there any ready made brackets or mounts available ?

Cheers
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged, Tanfoglio Witness, Umarex 1911
    and many, many bows and slingshots

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    1.As high as posible.
    2.Dot in centre of crosshair at your chosen zero range.
    3.There are but I had mine custom made and then put it on top of an inverted scope mount. Very high very cumbersome.

The way I had it set up was the nearer you were the higher the dot would be above the crosshair the further away the lower it would be.

This was on a .22 I personally wouldn't bother with a .177 although if you are lamping it will confirm whether you are closer or further than your zero point. The dot also can flare of different backgrounds.

I shot an awful lot of rabbits with this setup but I personally can't recommed it for .177 at ranges out to 40yds which if your lamping I would suggest is along way.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy.

Im quite reasonable at judging the distances in daylight just struggle at night.

Does anyone else have a comment ?
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged, Tanfoglio Witness, Umarex 1911
    and many, many bows and slingshots

Better to use range markers.

If you get to know points where shots are likely (as you turn a corner for example) then you can measure in daylight and put small markers out at known ranges.

Plant labels are good for this if they are white and reflect.

After a while, you will get to know the ground and the distances from each vantage point.

That way, you can guestimate range but be certain because you know that tree or bush or bunker is no more than x yards from where you are standing.

A friend took me to a shoot he has just acquired on a golf courde. He knows the course as he is a member.

On one rabbit, I asked him what he thought the range was. 50 yards was his estimation. I dropped it on 35.

point to point positions and markers inbetween will make your life a lot easier.

Also, it is worth spending a reasonable sum on a good laser and one with turrets rather than 3 poxy grub screws that change the POI - each time you twiddle one means you have to twiddle both of the others twice

Crossman are not good and some of the lesser beamshots get quite big on the dot size at distance. This is only an issue if your FAC though
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Mines mounted 2 1/2" centre to centre above scope works a treat and still fits in gun bag

Gary C Guest
    hmmm

I'd far rather mount it 2'5" below the scope on the silencer, I find it less obtrusive AND can use as a zeroing aid when changing scopes

I tried it and found it useful when running a day/night rig for the reasons given by Gary

As for rangefinding properly, I soon got sick of fannying about with it all and just bought a laser rangefinder

2nd hand Bushnell can be had on here for about a hundred quid and takes all the guesswork out of it for you - easier to spot with than a scoped up rifle, too

Recently upgraded mine for a Leica 900 and I find it indispensable now