Thread: Focusing scopes ....

Focusing scopes ....

May be a simple silly question to some ..... lol

... but how do i focus my scope ( Simmons WTC ) so that the target is in focus and also the reticule .. ?

and before you say it ..... lol .. yes i DO know how to focus on the target... but not sure how to get BOTH the target and the reticule in focus at the same time ... ???? adjusting the eyepiece lens doesnt seem to sort it ...

if i sort the target focus out ... the reticule is invariably slightly blurred ...

stupid question, have you tried glasses?

Had the same problem without my glasses

allan
    Rude Fat Dog 10/22Browning Buckmark pistol

hi ... forgot to say that my eyesignt up close is faultless..... it is long distance that i have a slight problem .... and only slight.... beyond 75 metres or so ...

Scarecrow Guest
    If the reticle is in focus, subsequent focussing of the objective lens shouldn't put it out of focus.

Usual accepted method of getting the reticle in focus is to point the scope at something blank (clear sky is usual), and twist the eyebell ring until the reticle is sharp. That should be it.

I've found that it sometimes pays not to concentrate too much on the actual crosshairs, if that makes sense, but rather the bit of sky (or whatever) that you are looking at.

HTH

What distance is the target at? It sounds like the parallax adjustment is incorrect for the range.

The adjustment on the rear lens is intended to focus the reticule for your eye, then adjusting the objective (front) lens should get the target in focus without altering the reticule.

If the scope doesn't have parallax adjustment it will be set for one range - most commonly 100 yards, although on most "fixed" scopes it can be reset to a more suitable distance for airgun use (30 yards or so).

Ben