Thread: gun care

Bunny Stalker Guest

gun care

hi all can anyone help me, i have recently bought a daystate x2 with the sporter stock, the gun was in good condition but i am using the gun for hunting and it seems to mark realy easy. i have seen people on hear talk about striping the laquer off the stock and oilling it, would this help and if so what oil do i use and would it be ok to use on the stock of my falcon fn19rs.
    i also need to know what oil to use to wipe over the action after use as i was using 3 in 1 oil but was told not to use it so i stopped using it but i am not sure what to use now.
    help on these matters would be most appreciated
    many thanks sean

Bunny Stalker Guest
    can anyone help me please

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Stalker
    hi all can anyone help me, i have recently bought a daystate x2 with the sporter stock, the gun was in good condition but i am using the gun for hunting and it seems to mark realy easy. i have seen people on hear talk about striping the laquer off the stock and oilling it, would this help and if so what oil do i use and would it be ok to use on the stock of my falcon fn19rs.
    i also need to know what oil to use to wipe over the action after use as i was using 3 in 1 oil but was told not to use it so i stopped using it but i am not sure what to use now.
    help on these matters would be most appreciated
    many thanks sean
    as far as i can see you seem to be confused about a few things so i'll try to help.

use a good metal oil like a moly oil,parker hale oil for the metalwork.

stripping and oiling a stock refers to taking the stocks finish back to the bare wood by varnish stripper(nitromors is a quality product),sandpaper,wet/dry with water(my personal favourite) and then recolouring the stock with a water based stain finally applying a wood oil like danish oil,teak oil,walnut oil but not metal oil.

has this cleared a few things up for you?
    Last edited by ikarma70; 28-06-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Bunny Stalker Guest
    thanks for the reply you have been a great help