Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbit & Rat

Night shooting is by far the best, be it by NV or a red filtered lamp-dont try and use white light, you'll scare the sh*t out of 'em!
    As an ex pest control officer ive done a lot of ratting, at night there confidence is up and the use of a planned pre-bait is advised too.
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

ive had bunnies come straight back out after taking a shot. sometimes they even stay put......silly fools!!! loli went for a shoot this evening and took 2 shots at a bugs, no not my aiming, very strong side winds,haha.
    although i did feel quite bad after shooting a pregnant/mothering bunnie. didnt exactly feel great after.

Blimey - you did some trawling. This thread is nearly 2 yrs old
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Feral is offline One of my mil dots is missing
    I was sighting in saturday afternoon ready for Mile Oak and as I'm looking through my scope a rate popped it's head up from behind a flower pot... moved too fast for me to pop him so out comes the peanut butter. After half an hour he came sauntering across the gravel at the bottom of the garden and is sent for a tumble.

I got back Sunday and the missus informs me there is another rat about and she's discovered a new bait for me... Maple Syrup! The peanut butter really wasn't doing the trick but within 5 minutes of me putting a few squirts of syrup in some rabbit food old scaley tail comes wandering down the path, nose in the air... he never even made it to the golden nectar

I splatted a fly that landed on my 30 yard sighting target as well, not a bad couple of days work!

We've got a bird sanctuary behind us and lots of bird food kicking about so rats coming over from the woods are quite common and the missus keeps rabbits so there's food about, if it's quiet then drawing the rats out on a sunny afternoon is pretty easy here... it certainly beats sitting under a tarp in the rain of a night in the winter!
    Walther dominator Lightstream FFP, s200 with Viper 10x44 - Buxted HFT My A4 Targets - HFT Kill zone sizes

I have stumbled upon baby rabbits , hid behind the nearest bush and shot them after they came back out 10 seconds later. Sometimes the big ones go down and don't come back out all night
    At this time of year there are plenty of young and stupid bunnies that will just freeze and hope you can't see them, in a couple of months they start running as soon as they know your there.
    HW100 .177
    Daystate X2 .22
    Air Arms TX .177

I HAD POSTED THIS EARLIER ON ANOTHER THREAD BUT I FIND THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH RATS...

my advice would be to zero your rifle at the max distance you think youll be shooting rats at, and then have a second target at half the distance so you can see what effect that zero'd scope will have at the shorter distance allowing you to adjust using the milldot for closer shots....

as for how to do it, i have found that scrambled egg on a paper plate is like amber nectar to the little buggers, usually i will set up a low beam tourch with either a piece of blue or orrange acetate ( from a stage or lighting supplys company) across the end of the torch does well... not too bright to scare them off but enough to see with, pointed so as to light the whole aera NOT DIRECTLY AT THE PLATE OF SCRAMBLED EGG as this will spook them

I have used this to great effect and have had bags of over 50 rats in a night like this but be aware that you can only use the same tactic once there cunning buggers and will soon become smart to it so the first night you use it be prepared to sit there all night and bag as many of the buggers as possibile!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu B View Post
    I have stumbled upon baby rabbits , hid behind the nearest bush and shot them after they came back out 10 seconds later. Sometimes the big ones go down and don't come back out all night
    At this time of year there are plenty of young and stupid bunnies that will just freeze and hope you can't see them, in a couple of months they start running as soon as they know your there.

booooo dont shoot the babys or pregnant does this time of year.... youll want some sport come winter so go easy on em..