Thread: Tx200sr Vs Hw77

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Tx200sr Vs Hw77

According to one American writer, at 40 yards the TX200SR can shoot 11mm groups; the Weihrauch HW77 can shoot 14mm groups.

In terms of HFT is that a significant difference?

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    Nah, Weihrauches have soul. AA s are soul-lessly efficient
    Ask any Weihrauch owner.

hw77k m8 prefer mine over my old tx anyday
    Springer fanatic

id take the hw77 anyday excellent rifle of its time and still is in anyones hands that grew up using springers.
    the tx200 sr is a fine gun aswell but those damn germans could and still do build excedingly good guns.

atb ian
    theres another one for the pot !

baxterbasics Guest
    I have shot 8mm groups with an untuned but well shot .22 hw77 at 40 yds,bench rested at Cobham club. I know guys on here who can single hole all day long with a tx sr or a well tuned 77 in .177.
    The sr will not be eligible for the (springer) recoiling class,you would be in the open class.
    Kindest regards,
    Graham

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by baxterbasics
    The sr will not be eligible for the (springer) recoiling class,you would be in the open class.
    Kindest regards,
    Graham
    Absolutely correct and a very important distinction. You are comparing apples with pears here methinks!

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Point well made about the classes. With this in mind, and I doubt my thinking will be popular, what's the point of the TX200SR? Don't get me wrong, I think they are a smashing rifle but what on earth can you actually do with one? At one point I really wanted one but after some thinking I dismissed the idea. Too heavy to hunt with and not exactly competetive within the competition classes they fall into. What exactly do people do with them?
    Are they reserved to club plinking and the pure joy of actually owning them?

Chris
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Paul Hudson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes
    Point well made about the classes. With this in mind, and I doubt my thinking will be popular, what's the point of the TX200SR? Chris
    Hmm... back in the days when I had a rather large (embarrasing) collection of rifles, the question "if you had to get rid of them ALL except one, which one would you keep?" came up at the club.

No competition - it HAD to be the TX200SR. My reasoning was that it was the only non-PCP rifle that I had that was as accurate as an accurate thing, but didn't need too much input from me to be that accurate. It also had the benefit of being that accurate without having to drag a divers bottle and charging gear around every time I wanted to shoot. It was also something I felt confident about being able to service and maintain myself, without fancy tools.

I sold it quite shortly afterwards Why? Because it had no logical place in my competition armoury. If I wanted precharged accuracy, I had a Ripley that was much easier to cock and load. If I wanted the visceral feel of a proper spring rifle, I had the 97K. I don't hunt, so the weight wasn't really an issue.

It DID have a habit of needing more attention than any other springer I've owned to keep it on song... the rail needed regular attention, and it did chew up and spit out a couple of slightly inadequate scopes.

That was my personal take on the SR, for what it's worth

Paul.

Just for the record. Despite logic suggesting otherwise I still quite fancy an SR. Despite the fact that I can't for the life of me think what I'll do with one.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes
    Point well made about the classes. With this in mind, and I doubt my thinking will be popular, what's the point of the TX200SR? Don't get me wrong, I think they are a smashing rifle but what on earth can you actually do with one? At one point I really wanted one but after some thinking I dismissed the idea. Too heavy to hunt with and not exactly competetive within the competition classes they fall into. What exactly do people do with them?
    Are they reserved to club plinking and the pure joy of actually owning them?

Chris
    The point is that the SR in reasonably skilled hands will equal the performance of a PCP without the issues of power curve and the need for feeding with compressed air. As we all know, recoiling springers need a higher level of skill to extract the best from them. These days a quality SR will set you back around £350. What PCP with charging kit can you buy for that kind of money??

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick
    The point is that the SR in reasonably skilled hands will equal the performance of a PCP without the issues of power curve and the need for feeding with compressed air. As we all know, recoiling springers need a higher level of skill to extract the best from them. These days a quality SR will set you back around £350. What PCP with charging kit can you buy for that kind of money??
    Fair point about the cost and simplicity, Nick. Sadly I don't see many published competition scores lending any support to your main point though. There's a good reason that an awful lot of SRs end up in the USA. They shoot them in the springer/recoiling class there, thus gaining a big advantage over the proper recoiling springer/gasram.
    Please don't think for one moment that I've got any particular aversion to springers though. I've got as many springers/gasrams as I have PCPs and I find that they are getting used more than my PCPs at the moment. The only thing that I'm averse to doing with my boingers, is hunt.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

i own both 77's in .177 and .22 and think they were the last nail in the british airgun manufacturing of the 80's (i shot a sirocco in 85 so that says it all; and gave it back to its owner pretty damn quick!) my point is the 77 and the fairly newist 97 will never be as collectable as an SR. My SR is kens own creation, the one he wanted to sell as normal spec. I only shoot to the best of my ability with the SR.( is now 14yrs old)....but i love all my hw's but lets face it, the brits and ken especially got one over the germans for a change