Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cows arnt dangerous are they?

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

cows arnt dangerous are they?

to some ,the answer to this is already known but to the new recruites to
    our sport this may be alittle surprising.while out lamping with a friend we were following a well worn track through our hunting grounds.on this occasion the land owner had chosen to place a large herd of youngish cows
    in a field which normaly only used to store farm machinery.we scanned around the field with the lamp ,when a mass of eyes were reflected back,i thought for a mo that the rabbits had finaly decided on revenge.my companion said right to the nearest fence now and was gone,i wasnt going to be rattled so i just strolled casualy,but there was a slowly gathering rumble of cantering bovines,i turned and flicked on the lamp and they slitherd to a halt having cover half the gap already.i backed up holding them in my light,the blighters recognised my retreat and started gathering speed ,face with this menace ,i raced to my mate who was holding the wire up ,he was laugthing like the drain.lesson learned.we check on stock movements before our forays.incidently a local woman was trampled to death while walking her dog amoungst cattle so take care,cheers red bob.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

ps

if anyone has had similer humerous moments please take time to post them as i would like to write up some kind of diary of them when shootings off.cheers red bob.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    I've never had a problem with cows - when I was a kid, the local farmer told me to 'always stay uphill of them, and you'll be fine'. He said that cows aren't malicious, just curious. The problem with trampling was almost always because they run down a hill at you to see what you're about, and then simply can't stop... I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

roblade is offline Time for a coffee........;-)
    ok the only amusing story i have is cow based and around bonfire time, we all used to play with fireworks (in a safe way), and it was a very dark night we had just been for walk across the short cut, through the fields, the cows were in the other field and ready for thier morning milking across the other side of the farm well away from us. Farmer knew us and knew it was the local short cut.

So pleanty of cow pats but no cows, me being me had a little banger in my pocket and having set a few off i knew roughly how long the fuse lasted before the bang so i timed a sprint ahead and lit a "smoke" and then hada a little jog ahead again, the timing couldnt have been more perfect 3x guys +1x cow pat + 1 banger = a whole load of flying cow poo all over the place. my timing was perfect and i have never laughed so much, which was a very bad thing for me LOL have you ever tried runnign for what seems like your life when your being chased by 3 guys covered in cow poo becasue of a banger you placed. but one thing i shall never forget is that moment of shock horror on thier faces as it went "BANG" two feet in front of them

for those young enough to think this is very funny and very big please remeber the dangers of playing with fireworks, nother 2 feet closer and stepping ina cow pat this could have ended differently. But it didnt so thought it ok to post.

ROB
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!

to spring? or not to spring? that is the question. oh sod it get them both!!!!

It was a dry summer, and my father-in-law asked me to count some bullocks to make sure they hadn't broken out, looking for water. My ex came with me, (we are both teachers.) By coincidence, the beasts were standing in a perfectly straight line. She asked, "Why are they all lined up like that?" I replied, "They know its time to take the register, so they line up automatically..!" The dippy girl believed me..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Don't treat this lightly. Cows can be extremely dangerous, particularly if they are with their calves. People die every few years because they don't understand this.

If you have a dog with you, the cows may well see it as a threat. Its innate, any cow can potentially turn dangerous if e.g. you or your dog triggers the wrong reflexes.

No matter how well behaved, you must always hold your dog on a lead when in a field with cattle. That way they should see that it is under control. However if they do not, and start to approach you to defend themselves or their calves (you will know if this happens, its scary) then you must let the dog loose to look after itself and hopefully distract the cows from you.

Don't believe the myths about cows not being able to run uphill. They can outrun most humans.

Prodigal Guest

Unhappy They play rough sometimes..

I used to shoot a farm between Oldham/Rochdale pretty regularly, knew the stock and they knew me (if cows are that smart) Used to walk through them regularlyand stroke them on the way past. This particular day one took exception to me stopping tickling it behind the ears and moving on to stroke its mate, jinked round and kicked its rear legs towards the other cow. Yup, I was in the way, four broken ribs.
    Never known anything worse, I used to cry when I felt a sneeze coming!
    Still stroke cows, but only to beat my fear of them.

And I ALWAYS watch for the back kick!!!

They can be!

I spotted this http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...h/f8b3ebb3.jpg on a recent road trip...

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    cows are bloody dangerous animals watch thing

Or this
    Last edited by Jackel; 07-07-2006 at 01:07 AM.
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE

NickAudley Guest
    hehe, your right thats one dangerous cow, loved the matrix style scenes.

what about these guys?????

they are organised i tells ya!!! beware the bovine!

There's (sort of) scary cows in the Brian Aldiss sci-fi Heliconia.

gunnstack Guest

cows aren't dangerous

I would have to assume you are a townie-no offence. Cows are dangerous particularly with calves in tow. Even without calves they tend to be curious about you particularly if they don't know you. Between us my mate & I run a 10 acre block and as the cows know us they don't bother us. If anyone else goes into the paddock they will tend to gang up on the poor fella and will try to run him off-unless he has a feed for them of course! Even then I have had the odd bolshie one who bowled me over more than once and ended up in the freezer (the cow I mean). If they are hill cattle (steers) stay well away as they will go you and if they have not been de-horned get out quick! Another tip is to watch out for heifers on heat. They will try to ride anything- I don't think even camo gear will save you in this situation. Was fixing a gate a few years ago when 250kg's of slobbering heifer started to ride up my back. When that happens it doesn't matter how arthritic your old bones are you will slide out from under & vault the fence like a teenager!! Sheep with lambs at foot can also bunt you-usually from behind the knees or even straight on. I have had this happen more than once when I lived in Scotland. Best strategy when confronted with bolshie cows or steers is to run at them making as much noise as you can waving your arms and hoping for the best-then make a run for it before they come back! If you are shooting on farmland let the animals get to know you first by walking the outer fenceline as frequently as you can. Once they get to know you they shouldn't give you any worries. Sorry for the long post but in my rural situation I have learned from long experience to always treat any animal in it's own setting with respect. Oh did I forget to mention bulls-probably more placid than your average steer or cow until the cows are in season of course-then you may have a problem with a right royal rodgering-something you will never recover from but will always remember.
    Last edited by gunnstack; 07-07-2006 at 06:40 AM.

Never under estimate cows, after all when fully grown you are looking at at least half a ton of beef on the bone in stout leather case.

As said above if they have calves, for heavens sake don't get between mother and the young one!

The younger ones tend to be highly curious and when trying to stalk around a field having an entourage who are trying to sniff and lick your cammo gear is at best a nuisance

Dale

gunnstack Guest

cows can be dangerous

Listen rockdrill It's not yer camo gear they are sniffing at it can well be yer goolies or any dangly/wavy bits you might have given a scent too-even mum's dung. During summer I usually wear shorts-real short shorts as it gets pretty hot over here (NZ) in summer.Turn yer back on a recently fed calf for 5 seconds and you end up writhing on the recently dropped turd of mummy with the tears blinding you. That's not too bad but land on the calf's left overs and you dont even bother stripping for a shower you simply leave everything on and stand there for as long as the hot water lasts hoping the pong will eventually dissipate!! I refuse to venture into pigland-burning everything is the one and only option other than self immoliation!!