Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening

hadaka-jimi Guest

Sharpening

What is the best system for knife sharpening.

Got a CRKT M16-EDC ZYTEL straight blade (no serations). I think it is AUS4 steel with a satin finished blade.

Would like a clamp system that holds the blade and allows the honing stone to be run across at a fixed angle.

Looking at Lansky ?

What opinions please

Non-airgun related, dude?
    AA S200T .177 / AA Silencer / Magazine / AGS Sapphire 3-9x40 mil dot
    AA TDR .22 / Carbine cylinder / custom woodwork / HW silencer / AGS Mini 3-9x40 mil dot

Nice to do business with : Snock; Frenchi; Glow

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE

I have the Spyderco Sharpmaker and have gotten blades literally sharp enough to shave hair with it. It'll take forever if your blade's really blunt though, as even the coarse stones are actually quite fine. You can get a pair of diamond stones for it if you need to take off a lot of metal though.

I've used this on a teflon-coated blade without scratching the teflon.

Chris
    Daystate Merlyn LE (number 22); AA S410; AA TX200; BSA Scorpion; HW40. Plus a couple of them there fowling pieces.

hadaka-jimi Guest
    Sorry - wrong section.

Will look at Lansky and Spyderco.

Its a brand new knife so want to keep on top of it with a little but often.

Have some other knives that may need a bit more attention than this one to get the blades edge to top nick.

Thanks for the input.

Hadaka

Quote Originally Posted by hadaka-jimi
    Sorry - wrong section
    Just messing with ya Jimi. Hope you got a proper reply
    AA S200T .177 / AA Silencer / Magazine / AGS Sapphire 3-9x40 mil dot
    AA TDR .22 / Carbine cylinder / custom woodwork / HW silencer / AGS Mini 3-9x40 mil dot

Nice to do business with : Snock; Frenchi; Glow

I've got a Spyderco Sharpmaker which is great for fast touching up of a knife to super sharp.

Also got an Edge Pro http://edgeproinc.com/

My review on the pro model here:- http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/EdgePro.htm

The Apex model is a lot less money and fantastic for perfect bevels on older knives.

HTH

Mark

If its brand new, and you don't know how to sharpen it, leave it alone for now, because its probably sharp enough anyway.

IMHO Columbia River are the finest non-custom knives on the market. I have two M16s, and I have several other CRKT knives. They have a well ground and honed edge, out of the box. I always enjoy having a new knife; I like to get to know it and find how it sits comfortably and naturally in my hand.

I imagine myself using the knife, then I stroke it back and forth on my jeans when I'm getting to know it. Its a common mistake to sharpen the wrong part of the the knife for the purpose. One of my M16s is only sharpened onlly on the tanto edge When I know that, I know how it needs to be sharpened. It isn't Zen, its just that "one-ness"

If you want to really use a knife, and to keep it sharp, you would be best in learning to use a steel. Your local butcher/fishmonger/poacher already knows how this works, and will teach you for free labour or for a fistful of pound coins, but not with your knife - with their own idea of a working knife.

I have a Kershaw with the titanium oxide coloured coating so care is needed to sharpen it without ruining the coating.

I use a very fine carborundum stone (feels like silk) and holding the blade at 20° to the surface and with minimal pressure slide the blade over the stone moving away from the blade edge. Gently lift the handle slightly as you go to follow the curve of the blade so the whole length gets sharpened. Alternate sides and if done regularly a good quality steel will stay razor sharp without needing to remove any quantity of metal.

One other thing, always use the stone wet! You can use oil but it is messy, water with a spot of soap is cleaner. By keeping the edge wet it is cooled, otherwise you will draw the temper of the steel and soften it so it won't hold the edge for long. This is always the problem with these clever looking (and more expensive) sharpeners you can buy. Also most of the other methods take off far more metal than is necessary.

A good whetstone is far superior to any of the alternatives but it does need a bit of care, but with practice it is just as fast, if not quite as convenient.

One other tip, most people use the part of the blade nearest the tip the most, so sharpen that end a bit more than near the handle. In this way you won't get the hollowed blade that you so often see with knives that are sharpened a lot.
    MikeB

RWS C225 (Black) , Gamo Red Dot
    Walther CP88 (Wood/Nickel) , Gamo Red Dot
    Crosman 1377 3-9*50 JSR
    AA 410 TDR 6-24*56 Nikko
    BSA Meteor .22 I've had for 43 years!

Aerova Guest
    I have used a lanski for years (i belive they are the best) - Note; if you have a polished blade make sure you use a pice of paper each side of the blade to protect the finish. I didunt first time ! -
    I now also have one of these little things from www.bladetech.co.uk keep it on my keyring its F****** grate and easy to use very good when you need to keep things sharp while you are working - it gets my axe / pocket knife so you can shave hair. perhaps not quite as good as the 5 stone lanski but much more user frendley and convenient. have a look, may be of some use to you bud. Ill never not have one with me in the field now

hadaka-jimi Guest
    Thanks for all the input guys. Lots to go consider.

Cheers

hadaka jimi

Quote Originally Posted by hadaka-jimi
    Thanks for all the input guys. Lots to go consider.

Cheers
    Just wondered about your user name - do you play judo ?
    Coming second is losing.

hadaka-jimi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by layabout
    Just wondered about your user name - do you play judo ?
    PLAY !!!!!

Used to - only dabble and impart knowledge now.

If someone ****** me off now, I just sit on their head

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    I've used diamon impregnated sharpening plates and arkansas, graded stones,but the best way of keeping an edge is to make up a leather strop to keep the edge sharp from the start.Only resort to a stone when you have to. HERX77
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.