Thread: Lightstream scopes - anywhere other than BAR?

Darren Petts Guest

Lightstream scopes - anywhere other than BAR?

Are Lightstream scopes availiable anywhere other than BAR. I'm interested but want to see a USA price to get an idea of their true worth. British prices have often little to do with reality.

Dave. Guest
    Not sure the're available in the USA, as far as I know Lightstream is a small UK company. I'm told some Weaver models are a very similar spec so I guess price would be similar.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Ben Taylor and Son sell them. I had a look through one, very impressive.

Darren,

Lighstream are (I believe) made by LOW (Light Optical Works) in Japan. They are based on the Weaver Tactical 4.5-14x44 which has now been discontinued (it was a FFP mil dot scope and the tube looks identical, same mag etc. the glass is similar to Grand Slam or T-series again in my opinion). They are made for AK Optics (AK = Alan Konyn = 'Konyn' on here), this is a UK based company so they are not available anywhere else under this name except for UK and I believe they are also exported to and sold in Poland (for a similar price).

Maybe Alan can comment on similarities/differences between the Weaver Tactical and the Lightsream? I would be really interested.

The Weaver retailed at around $550 in the US and £550 as official import in UK. So £390 isn't all that bad...

You might be able to get a second hand Weaver or find a shop in the US that still has some stock, I have come across one in Oklahoma while I was out there on business, I have also bought one second hand from a US forum.

Hope this helps,

Piotr

It seems strange to me that when the Weaver with the similar spec was available, no one on here seemed much interested in it. Since it's been reborn with the Lightstream tag there's no end of excitement about it.

Lionel

There aren't many first focal plane scopes about, perhaps there's a bit of "Pluckly takes on the US giants," about it.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Darren Petts Guest
    Thanks for that. I've never really clicked with Weavers so I'll give it a miss. Also the Weaver GS 4.5-14 is $320 (duplex) so £390 is a typical UK price when compared to the true worth in $. Not a direct comparison by any means I'll admit but the best I have until a USA stockist gets them.

Talk to BoNeS.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. MH
    Talk to BoNeS.

yep talk to Bones or failing him give guns n stuff a ring in lincoln!

Darren Petts Guest
    Actually saw one of these today. Superb optics and a nice reticle. Free PA too. No doubting the quality BUT I'd still reserve judgement on the value until they are sold in the USA. If they were sold there and I thought that I was getting a good deal I'd buy one but I amn't buying a £400 scope that MAY be worth $400

Quote Originally Posted by lionel
    It seems strange to me that when the Weaver with the similar spec was available, no one on here seemed much interested in it. Since it's been reborn with the Lightstream tag there's no end of excitement about it.

Lionel
    I agree with you Lionel.

I have two Waver Tacticals 4.5-14x44, and am very happy with them. I bought one approximately 1 year ago, the other around 3 months ago, both bought in the US. These were rather rare and fairly expensive.

As for the Lightstream, it is officially imported to the UK and heavily represented on the BBS hence its popularity…

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Petts
    Actually saw one of these today. Superb optics and a nice reticle. Free PA too. No doubting the quality BUT I'd still reserve judgement on the value until they are sold in the USA. If they were sold there and I thought that I was getting a good deal I'd buy one but I amn't buying a £400 scope that MAY be worth $400
    Darren,

This scope will probably not be sold in the US.

AK Optics is a British company selling Jap scopes, which are in essence identical to the now discontinued Weaver Tactical 4.5-14x44 with slight differences in lens coatings, lenses and reticule (these are my opinions based on comparisons not technical data.). Both scopes are probably made by the same factory (LOW). The Weaver was selling for 550USD, and could have been bought for a little less just before it was discontinued. So the price isn’t that bad… The Weaver came with a sunshade and screw in lens caps and a limited lifetime warranty.

Piotr.

clubshot Guest

Arrow

Spoke to Alan , on Sunday

Been very busy, reason he has not replied Direct

Reason for limited Dealers on First batch was to try Market

He will be on the Westerns Stand @ the CLA

Stocks are currently low - but another batch are due in
    August 2006
    With another Scope

Hopefully he will get on the Board himself Shortly........

BOB/R