Thread: Severe lead poisoning!

Severe lead poisoning!

For some reason lost in last nights good beer, I arose at 5:30 this morning and went out after, um, something.

Anyway, having driven through the sea mist that enveloped all I was greeted with a field devoid of all life! Not a bloody vermin in sight, looked in the trees and the pigeons looked back from across the road, almost laughing at me knowing they were on land I can't shoot.

All was not lost though, rather than go home to my warm bed and disturb my darling wife (who had looked at the alarm when it went off and asked, "What did you set that for 5:30 for?" well, when I said asked, more sort of screamed, and her words were a bit more Anglo Saxon. (She does have red hair... ) I digress, I was sat quite happily in my car, drinking coffee and eating crisps when I saw a fox slinking across the far end of the path that runs along side my shoot, dividing the field from the trees. Nice. Then, five minutes later I watched a bunny carefully creep out of the field (Still don't know how I missed that being there, blame it on the fog,) and dissapear into the woods, talk about extreme hide and seek.

A bit later on I finally got bored of sitting comfortably, the mist had lifted and I decided to have a look around on the far side, I had just shut my car noisily (It slipped out of my hand, honest. ) and hadn't yet put on my net suit when all hell seemed to break loose in the trees, there was screaming and squawking, flapping, bashing and total mayhem! the peace of the morning destroyed I grabbed up my gun and stomped into the trees to find out what on earth was going on, looking up I saw a flash of grey raiding a blackbird nest, parent birds making as much noise as possible were no match for the evil little blighter up there, the evil little blighter was no match for my 8.44 grains of Air Arms finest though, and with a resounding THWOCK (sorry, couldn't resist ) it was dead. Result, I had just doubled my lifetime grey tally.

Funny thing was though, peace did not reighn over, the crashing was still going on and the tree tops were flicking all around, I looked about and made out three more squirrels running in rings, using the branches as a track. I had a crafty moment then, picked a tree, settled bach and as each grey had consistenly paused at the same spot on this circuit, I was zoned in, first grey, pop, crash. The other two seemed not to notice, they just carried on coming, second grey, pop, thud. The last one just didn't stand a chance, it paused, looked straight at me as if to say "Where is everyone?" and took a pellet almost perfectly between the eyes, goodnight!

So, two hours and not a twitch, then right at the end, four squirrels in ten minutes, think I might just set that alarm again tonight ...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    AA S410, one gun, and I know how to use it.

nice story.....i take it you had fun
    cheers mikey

raggity Guest
    :d :d :d :d :d

Set me up for the whole day, someone commented about the lack of songbirds around the area a while back, I thought it was just the maggies causing problems there, first time I actually saw a grey raiding a nest though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Sarah Who Rocks Guest
    Well done that man! Very nice!

And it would be lovely to think that you got there quickly enough to save at least some of the blackbirds' brood. Here's hoping!

Another thing, when I left the shoot I put the squirrels on my bonnet while I put my gun away, looked at the time and realised I had time to take them to my friend 1/4 mile down the road before I went to work, they were still leaking at that point and rather than get blood on my boot floor, (no bags in the car, usually a couple at least. ) I left them on there and went on my way, felt like a small version of an American hunter, with very small deer strapped ovet the bonnet.

Got a few enquiring looks from other motorists though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

NickAudley Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm bands
    Another thing, when I left the shoot I put the squirrels on my bonnet while I put my gun away, looked at the time and realised I had time to take them to my friend 1/4 mile down the road before I went to work, they were still leaking at that point and rather than get blood on my boot floor, (no bags in the car, usually a couple at least. ) I left them on there and went on my way, felt like a small version of an American hunter, with very small deer strapped ovet the bonnet.

Got a few enquiring looks from other motorists though.
    What was your friend going to do with them? (please tell me he doesn't eat them or anything like that)

there is nothing wrong with eating squirels.

cheers

flash
    Air arms S400 .177
    BSA superstar .22

if at first you dont succeed, cheat or give up.

SniperEagle Guest
    Haha, it's funny how things work.

I was sitting in a field today, waiting for rabbits to appear,reappear etc for nearly two hours, and any shots that came up were too risky due to the horses being too close for comfort. Annoyed and frustrated, I walked around into the next field. First rabbit was just the other side of the gate. Smack dead perfect shot, textbook is an understatement. Walking as little as ten feet allowed for number two, another perfectly taken shot.

Two rabbits in a minute. Despite doing a Recce the day before, I deffinately know where I'll be starting my hunt next time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAudley
    What was your friend going to do with them? (please tell me he doesn't eat them or anything like that)
    She does a great stew, or lightly fried with garlic and beans. Any waste is fed to her ferrets.

Her husband uses the tail hairs for tying flies.

I hate waste, if it can't be eaten or used, I would rather not shoot it. Exceptions are rats and magpies, maggies are the only quarry I have not yet bagged, ever.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

NickAudley Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm bands
    She does a great stew, or lightly fried with garlic and beans. Any waste is fed to her ferrets.

Her husband uses the tail hairs for tying flies.

I hate waste, if it can't be eaten or used, I would rather not shoot it. Exceptions are rats and magpies, maggies are the only quarry I have not yet bagged, ever.
    I kinda like squirrels and wasn't sure if I liked the idea of shooting one or not (not having shot anything yet!). Eating them and using the tails for fishing seems to square it in my mind a bit (you won't catch me eating them though, I will forward them to you!)

Quote Originally Posted by NickAudley
    I kinda like squirrels and wasn't sure if I liked the idea of shooting one or not (not having shot anything yet!). Eating them and using the tails for fishing seems to square it in my mind a bit (you won't catch me eating them though, I will forward them to you!)
    Um, thanks, I think...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")