Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone refinishing a stock ??

Anyone refinishing a stock ??

I've just been to Wilkos and got 500ml of nitromors, assorted sandpaper, assorted wirewool, danish oil and a sponge 'brush' for less than a tenner. Bargain.
    Break your backs and crack your oars men! If you wish to prevail.

your not playing with that lovely stock are you

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up

Yep.Started on me fustest stock refinish yesty afternoon,sat out in the back yard sanding away,stereo on and a couple bottles of Hens tooth to keep me refreshed like! .Went through all the grades of paper and finished off tonight.Just gave the stock a wipe down we a damp rag(too damp actually) and I shall have a goo at putting on the fust coat of oil tomorow night.

Them little tiny scratches tek some shifting doe they!

Will be avin a look see in Wilkos meself from now on avin read that matey!

Quote Originally Posted by airgun god
    your not playing with that lovely stock are you

Yeah, i've tried a few finishes, currently on shellac but it's too shiny so it's coming off and i'm sticking with danish oil.

Talking

Been using Danish Oil on my SMK QB-78.
    Penetrates well and brings out the colours in grain.
    Pity the factory don't use it instead of Chinese Sump Oil.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

I've been using the Napier London stock Oil.

But have to admit I am now on the second try.

Remember less is more. Plus give it a whole 24 hours between coats.

I gave it seven in about three days. It looked great but was sticky to the touch and I was not happy.

But after hitting it with nitromors, sanding and 3 coats it is now looking very good.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mafoota the 2nd
    Yeah, i've tried a few finishes, currently on shellac but it's too shiny so it's coming off and i'm sticking with danish oil.
    Try toning down the finish with some 000 grade wire wool. Finish off with some finishing wax if required. I've just done a stock with Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, and it's the best stuff I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl bugle
    Try toning down the finish with some 000 grade wire wool. Finish off with some finishing wax if required. I've just done a stock with Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, and it's the best stuff I've ever used.

I couldn't get on with tru-oil and ended up sanding it off, sticky stuff to use too. I've seen some lovely jobs with tru-oil though and yours is one of them.

I couldn't get on with tru-oil and ended up sanding it off, sticky stuff to use too.
    I stripped my stock the other week & was having trouble getting a good finish with tru-oil. Then had the idea of trying it through my airbrush. It work a treat with a perfect finish.

I couldn't get on with tru-oil and ended up sanding it off, sticky stuff to use too.
    This is strange . I've used lots of oils in the past and had trouble with stickiness. Different brands of Tru Oil may have different characteristics? Birchwood Casey is about the least sticky of any I've used . It also works easily without pulling or dragging, and dries very rapidly. I've known it to be touch dry just after I've worked it in! Still leave it a full day between coats. I always rub down with 000 wire wool between coats too.

As for the shellac; I've done some stuff with french polish and found it too shiney. Cured it with rubbing with fine wire wool. If the finish is too dull after the wire wool, light brassoing can fetch it up to the required finish. I've had some lovely satin finishes using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by manxteddy
    Been using Danish Oil on my SMK QB-78.
    Penetrates well and brings out the colours in grain.
    Pity the factory don't use it instead of Chinese Sump Oil.
    Graham
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! you are the last person I would think of buying a chink chink gun

Nev

http://veteransinaction.org.uk My favourite Military Charity

http://nevsniggles.com Handyman Services

Just got the danish oil on and i must say it's looking lovely. It seem to go waxy before it dries rather than varnishy and sticky. I slapped loads on and then as it was just starting to go waxy i rubbed off the excess with a sponge it's come up nice.

How many coats should i use with danish oil?

steelyglint is offline Worried bored dissapointed vain product From The Nonsense Factory who knows he shouldn't, but does, anyway
    Hi Mafoota,

I've just refinished my stock using danish oil and then several topcoats of wax, years ago I did 12 months at furniture college in Manchester which involved a bit of french polishing, with this finish you use something called a rubber, no sniggers please!
    Basically it is a 12' square of lint free cloth with cotton wool inside you make a cone shape from the cotton wool then wrap it in the cloth twisting it at the fatter end so you end up with a mouse shape, dip this in your oil then squeeze out the excess and you can lay on loads of thin layers of oil with a perfectly smooth finish have a bowl of meths or clean white spirit next to you too if the mouse starts to drag just give it a little dip on the nose.

I applied about 30 layers to my stock this way time consuming but you'll be suprised how smooth and satiny a finish you will get!

Martin

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Question

Anyone used a grain filler when finishing a stock???

Quote Originally Posted by steelyglint
    Hi Mafoota,

I've just refinished my stock using danish oil and then several topcoats of wax, years ago I did 12 months at furniture college in Manchester which involved a bit of french polishing, with this finish you use something called a rubber, no sniggers please!
    Basically it is a 12' square of lint free cloth with cotton wool inside you make a cone shape from the cotton wool then wrap it in the cloth twisting it at the fatter end so you end up with a mouse shape, dip this in your oil then squeeze out the excess and you can lay on loads of thin layers of oil with a perfectly smooth finish have a bowl of meths or clean white spirit next to you too if the mouse starts to drag just give it a little dip on the nose.

I applied about 30 layers to my stock this way time consuming but you'll be suprised how smooth and satiny a finish you will get!

Martin
    I used a 'mouse' and it does go on nicely ( that was the method on the tin)

Was the 30 coats danish or shellac? I nearly used boiled linseed oil I think i'm glad i didn't now.

No i didn't use grain filler but did think about it as the grain is quite open.

I'll post some piccys tonight of my first coat.