Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW77 twang

Question HW77 twang

Folks,

My HW77 has the stage 1 Venom kit fitted (by me) and until very recently all seemed perfectly wonderful etc...just as you might expect.

However, I have now fitted an adaptor and Parker-Hale MM2 silencer and I can now hear a slight twang on shooting.

The question is - Was this always there and I can just hear it now because there is a definate sound deadening effect from the silencer ?...Or has something else happened ?

Can anyone offer a suggestion before I strip the rifle and have a look ?

Many thanks + ATB

Philip.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Its a springer aint it? There will always be a bit of twang. You could try some Maccari tar on the spring.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Talking Indeed...

you are probably right and I am just being overly critical / sensitive.

I really didn't think that the silencer would make too much difference, but have been proven wrong. While zeroing last night I noticed that several Collared Doves on the bird table barely flinched despite my zero target being very close by...and these fellows are usually very twitchy !

I might just strip it, clean and re-lube anyway.

Cheers + ATB

Philip.

On springs, I use Motorcycle Chain Wax, it's more readily available, in an aerosol. It's heavy, "sticks like the proverbial," and lasts a long time. Regards ... Geek

p.s. This very hot and humid weather is 'bad news' for 'springers.'
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Talking Hey...

Mr Geek,

How are you Sir ?

Long time...etc...

Your suggestion that the hot weather is bad for spring powered guns... is that because the heat can cause the grease to melt or maybe thin a little and so become less effective ??

I guess you are constantly adjusting your PCPs as well then ?

ATB

Philip.

Do Not Disturb

Until you have removed the new additions and fired the rifle.
    Perhaps the adaptor/silencer has just shifted the vibration into an audible frequency - all spring guns vibrate.
    If it's shooting, well leave it alone.
    When you tell a lie , tell a big lie - Joseph Goebbels

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    Its a springer aint it? There will always be a bit of twang. You could try some Maccari tar on the spring.

Gus
    I would go for the Maccari Tar as well.
    Easy to get via his website

Pay by Paypal or credit card, usually turns up within a week.

ATB
    Ray.

Scopes and silencers can twang. I have a Venom 97 and the Tasco Varmint on there rings/resonates. At first I thought it was the rifle 'til i shot without scope.

Agree with POK!
    In 1997 I put a Simmons 6.5-20x44 on my lazaglide 77 and it rang like a bell
    There's a big coil spring behind the objective lens and on that scope it resonated like a tuning fork, in fact I think it was a middle 'C'.
    I got a replacement which was much better.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K
    Agree with POK!
    There's a big coil spring behind the objective lens and on that scope it resonated like a tuning fork, in fact I think it was a middle 'C'.
    I got a replacement which was much better.
    If you gathered a few twangers together Adam you could start an instrumental group and call it The Twangers. or The Spring-fields.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite
    If you gathered a few twangers together Adam you could start an instrumental group and call it The Twangers. or The Spring-fields.
    No far better: the Objective Bell-Ends
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I have a funny feeling its the anti-bear trap that is making the little twang on mine.
    Might take it off one day to see.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by POK!
    Scopes and silencers can twang. I have a Venom 97 and the Tasco Varmint on there rings/resonates. At first I thought it was the rifle 'til i shot without scope.
    Yeah right, I've got a Simmons 'scope that makes a really unnerving noise, when mounted on a springer, scared the c**p out of me, at first. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K
    Agree with POK!
    I've got a Simmons 44 Mag on my 0.20" cal. HW77, it makes not a sound. It was an '8 Point' 'scope which vibrated and sounded like a galvanised dustbin full of marbles being hit with a lump hammer. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon

Try shimming the inside of the piston with a sleeve of either beer can metal or milk bottle plastic, depending on the clearance between spring and piston. Guinness original and low fat [Green top] are my top choices.