Thread: Maccari Buttons

Maccari Buttons

Noticed a couple of comments about these.

I have used them on a few guns with good results. It lets you button your piston without using any tools.
    The buttons are about a 1/4" dia and are 10 thou thick. You can stick them on with Superglue (liquid not gel).

You have to remember that you will increase your piston dia by 20 thou. On a FWB sport I did recently a friend turned the piston end down by 10 thou. that way I kept the full thickness of the buttons, with just a bit of sanding to get a good fit.

At the moment they are available from Jim Maccari here

Well worth giving them a try.

ATB
    Ray.

So they form a bearing surface around the piston? Are they fitted along the length of the piston or just at the head end?

The piston seal supports the front end of the piston. The buttons are stuck around the opposite end to the seal to support that.

It makes both the rearward movement (cocking) of the piston smoother and also the forward movement (fireing) smoother.

You need to use at least 3, I normally use 4. I put 2 either side of the cocking slot and the other 2 opposite.

ATB
    Ray.

Ideot Savant Guest
    As a quick diy option I've used film negative cut to small dots, sanded to fit. I dont know how long these will last, but they can give a taste of what a buttoned rifle fires like. My hw99s has them in now, no signs of wear after two tins, but I think its still better to get the maccari ones to be sure.

ive got 11 mac buttons as the fit on my 20 year old 77 is to tight to slip one in loose never mind 2-4 of em, tried it but the piston wouldnt move with one in there .
    Ris