Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW80 .25 Caliber Impressed

HW80 .25 Caliber Impressed

New toy little review not good at this but here goes.

Ordered an HW80 .25 Caliber a couple of months ago just to try out this caliber before I decided to pack up hunting its been lying in the box for a couple of weeks being a bit bored thought I would take it out the box and give it a good look over, what can I say bluing on the action was deep some of the best I have seen after breaking the action and looking through the barrel don't think I have ever seen so many twists in the rifling if that's the right word quality and build of the rifle second to none.

Thought it was time to see what this monster rifle/pellets can do set up targets at 25 yards with a 3-9x50 scope on top H&NFTT pellets after around 6 shots it was clover leafing very impressed hits like a hammer not had the chance to shoot it over a longer range not sure what its capable of distance wise, don't consider 25 yards bad with a legal limit rifle with a bit of field craft this bad boy has some knock down power cant see anything running off, rifle twang was nothing bad or the recoil and the rifle not run in yet,some say its heavy by a lot of top of the range rifles don't think there is a lot in it bit of weight helps to absorb the recoil.

If I was looking for a cheap .25 caliber FAC look no further this rifle will produce around 22ftlbs tuned, some say this caliber in legal limit was only any good for rats at close range I couldn't disagree with that until I tried it myself this rifle in 25 caliber did surprise me how hard it hit the targets I'm sure it will take care of airgun quarry without a problem well done Weihrauch its a winner in my book, and that rekord trigger still one of the best out there.

When you see all the rifles come and go the HW80 seem to live on built to last a lifetime worth every penny.

Interesting and obviously I'm glad you liked it. My view is slightly different.I'm not convinced that .25 at legal limit does anything that a .22 with heavier pellets -if that is what the job requires-can do. I'd be interested in your view of the performance when you extend the range. In the meantime based on my own experience I stick to my views: I love the HW80, I love .25 but only at FAC power levels.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwolf View Post
    New toy little review not good at this but here goes.

Ordered an HW80 .25 Caliber a couple of months ago just to try out this caliber before I decided to pack up hunting its been lying in the box for a couple of weeks being a bit bored thought I would take it out the box and give it a good look over, what can I say bluing on the action was deep some of the best I have seen after breaking the action and looking through the barrel don't think I have ever seen so many twists in the rifling if that's the right word quality and build of the rifle second to none.

Thought it was time to see what this monster rifle/pellets can do set up targets at 25 yards with a 3-9x50 scope on top H&NFTT pellets after around 6 shots it was clover leafing very impressed hits like a hammer not had the chance to shoot it over a longer range not sure what its capable of distance wise, don't consider 25 yards bad with a legal limit rifle with a bit of field craft this bad boy has some knock down power cant see anything running off, rifle twang was nothing bad or the recoil and the rifle not run in yet,some say its heavy by a lot of top of the range rifles don't think there is a lot in it bit of weight helps to absorb the recoil.

If I was looking for a cheap .25 caliber FAC look no further this rifle will produce around 22ftlbs tuned, some say this caliber in legal limit was only any good for rats at close range I couldn't disagree with that until I tried it myself this rifle in 25 caliber did surprise me how hard it hit the targets I'm sure it will take care of airgun quarry without a problem well done Weihrauch its a winner in my book, and that rekord trigger still one of the best out there.

When you see all the rifles come and go the HW80 seem to live on built to last a lifetime worth every penny.
    at fac speed the .25 is way better.
    you may want to put a vmach kit in, because the springs out of every hw i`ve owned are dire. easy to strip and easy to tune.
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Interesting and obviously I'm glad you liked it. My view is slightly different.I'm not convinced that .25 at legal limit does anything that a .22 with heavier pellets -if that is what the job requires-can do. I'd be interested in your view of the performance when you extend the range. In the meantime based on my own experience I stick to my views: I love the HW80, I love .25 but only at FAC power levels.
    when I get the chance will give it a run over 30 and 35yards because I try to keep to this sort of range shooting rabbits when I was hunting at legal limit.

.25 barrel

I am interested in how many groves/lands Weihrauch use in there .25 barrels, any chance you can push a pellet through the barrel and post up, how many rifling marks are on the pellet In .177 its 12, In .22 its 6 But im not aware of .20 or .25 Weihrauch barrels, groves/lands.

update on .25 caliber

Little update on the .25 caliber 30 yards seem about the limit for these monster pellets at legal limit, I feel confident to use this hunting up to that range how hard it hits don't think there would be a problem putting bugs lights out with a little field craft this caliber could be a winner 30 yards not a bad hunting range because I like to get as near as possible with any caliber to be sure of a clean kill, would imagine tuned and running over 20+ on ticket this would be good for 50 yards a self contained workhorse enjoyed given this caliber a whirl H&NFTT pellets seem the best through this barrel and being the lightest I could get and grouped the best cant fault them, a lot will say 30 yards no good for hunting but I can ensure you I have taken more rabbits at this sort of range and feel its a good range but what I read people are all ways looking for them long shots if you are forget this caliber in legal limit its not for you.

I have always fancied one of these, is .25 a special order from wheirauch? i have never seen .25 in stock in our local gun shops ,(

Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    I have always fancied one of these, is .25 a special order from wheirauch? i have never seen .25 in stock in our local gun shops ,(
    yes special order 6 to 8 weeks turn round.

i think you will find most gunsmiths charge an extra £50 for the 25cal as when i bought mine last march from sandwell fieldsports i was told oh 25 cal is extra £50 but arrived in 5 weeks and love it
    hw100kt laminate adj cheekpiece version-22, bsa r10 black pepper-22
    wolverine mk1-177, wolverine mk2-22, bsa r10 se black pepper-177
    gunpower stealth-22, brocock bantam hilite-22, at44 single shot-25

if you want an hw80 to run nicely ask dave hall there was a review not long back about a hw80 f.a.c he tuned think sfs tuned it got it to 16ftlbs dave have it at 19ftlbs and running alot smoother a v mach kit to by is £80 dave will button your piston and put a kit in for around the £100 mark. his works is the best ive seen

Atvb rob
    Shot master tuned hw80/97k. BSA ultra s/s
    [url]www.airgunshooters.freeforums.org[/urll

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Discussed this issue with Hull Cartridge on the "Weihrauch Stand" at the CLAGF Friday.
    The .25 Cal 80k can be ordered through them (Hull) via your local WR dealer and the silencer IS available to suit the .25 which I dont think has been in the past.
    I was also informed that the "left handed" stocks are now just plain with no monti-carlo type cheek piece and if you're a leftie and considering that option, then dont and put the money towards the .25 barrel option which is an extra !

And you always have the FAC upgrade if you wish !
    I'm considering this OR the Theo. "Eli" in .25.

Hope that made sense.

"B'rider"
    “An airgun or two”………

Hiya mate nice feedback.
    Picked one up recently and as you say the big slug carries a lot of poke down range.
    It is a very efficient caliber.
    I've found the barrel to be the least pellet fussy of many guns I've owned.
    Only minor scope adjustments required between Bisley super fields @ 24 grain and Gamo Hunter @20.3 grain plus the H@N's @ 19.9 grain.

The slug energy transfer so far is quite impressive, yet to use on pest control but standard pop tins of water show massive hydraulic shock in comaprison with my .177 and .22 rifles, they have been split top to bottom as well as punctured both sides @30 yards.
    Apple shooting comparisons ( they are in season!) sees the .25 literally ripping them apart rather than punching clean through, again compared to .177 and .22 at 30 yards.

Really can't see this as problem on pest control within sensible ranges, but so far the close range only argument isn't holding water.
    Probably in the same league as a heavy .22 in the lower pellet weights but those superfields are quite dramatic on inanimate targets so far

i have a .25 not a hw i might add, but the Hatsan 1000 stryker s this has just been cleaned up inside and a new spring fitted its now at 11.4 fpe with H&NFtt .25 and with 15 + grns pellets is very accurate over 25 yds, and i had my 1st victim a magpie with it today, shot from behind between the wingfolds it folded up like a piece of cardboard
    dead as a dodo , watch out Mr Rat you are next!!!!!!,
    regards brian
    Last edited by brian747; 10-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
    Hiya mate nice feedback.
    Picked one up recently and as you say the big slug carries a lot of poke down range.
    It is a very efficient caliber.
    I've found the barrel to be the least pellet fussy of many guns I've owned.
    Only minor scope adjustments required between Bisley super fields @ 24 grain and Gamo Hunter @20.3 grain plus the H@N's @ 19.9 grain.

The slug energy transfer so far is quite impressive, yet to use on pest control but standard pop tins of water show massive hydraulic shock in comaprison with my .177 and .22 rifles, they have been split top to bottom as well as punctured both sides @30 yards.
    Apple shooting comparisons ( they are in season!) sees the .25 literally ripping them apart rather than punching clean through, again compared to .177 and .22 at 30 yards.

Really can't see this as problem on pest control within sensible ranges, but so far the close range only argument isn't holding water.
    Probably in the same league as a heavy .22 in the lower pellet weights but those superfields are quite dramatic on inanimate targets so far
    Pop tins as you call them yes it rip them to bits and like you said go through both sides if your looking for a good hitter you wont get a lot better, 30 yards I find a good range for any legal limit air rifle with a bit of field craft.
    My rifle seem to be getting better all the time you see how effective it was on the tin cans wait until you hit a pigeon or rabbit with it think you will be pleased, don't know how you found the recoil hw80 in .25 caliber seem to soak it up with very little, just see Brian747 post where he shot a magpie at 25 yards this caliber has a lot going for it but I don't think many will even give it a run, if you want shock and damage give the .25 caliber a go it could shock you.

Update to my previous post, i have been out this evening with my Hatsan Stryker .25
    i got x2 tree rats at 20 and 17 yds, i can confirm they do not like .25 pellets
    the 1st tree rat was in the fork of a tree about 25 -30 ft high, he tried to freeze but i had already spotted him the pellet hit the grey in the head the impact knocked him clean out the tree stone dead ,the second grey was halfway up a tree trunk so i clicked at him he stopped to look silly squirrel the .25 caught him in the chest the impact again knocking it straight to the ground, these .25 pellets sure do a lot of trauma damage and i think with practise out to 30 yds should not be a problem,great calibre and the gun is great value for the money,
    atb brian