Thread: Weihrauch HW100 - First Impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBloke View Post
    Really useful review, I am now torn between s410 and HW 100.
    Reckon you have problems...I have a 410k and love it...now I would like a Hw too

Sounds typically Wheirauch. Built to last and perform...and they lost
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Reckon you have problems...I have a 410k and love it...now I would like a Hw too

Sounds typically Wheirauch. Built to last and perform...and they lost
    i would not be able to make a choice between these two ,
    i have used both and they are just so good , how could you choose.
    flip a coin i guess.
    Getting Old

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardys View Post
    i would not be able to make a choice between these two ,
    i have used both and they are just so good , how could you choose.
    flip a coin i guess.
    Oh my giddy aunt, just spotted this and had no idea how old the thread was...

I eventually bought an HW100...I say eventually as it took an age due to stock problems etc.

I must make it clear, mine was one that had just had the ability to probe fill, it was that era.

So what happened next?

The thing was sublime to start with, I had a good first season squirrelling with it with an old connect 01 fitted...well, after I sussed out the HW Magnum pellets anyway.

Then it started to go wrong. It would not hold zero from one session to teh next.

I changed scopes...not fixed.

I then locked the front and the back parts with a piece of weaver rail riser and that helped hugely (Thanks Gary C).

Then Ben Taylor suggested chucking the barrel clamp away.

Now, I have a background in the mob as a SAAI, and the first thing the original sharpshooters (back when the rifle was born) did was remove wood form the fore end. Partly to change barrel vibration problems where it touched the stock (a forerunner to glass bedding and free floating I guess) and partly to stop damp or temp affected wood from pushing on teh barrel and changing harmonics etc....so why did HW feel teh need to bolt stock, cylinder and barrel together...you tell me, but it soon sorted the problem.

I soon became aware of the power creeping up too...now my rifle was post AT, and given that this was a design fault that will re-occur (unless they have now fixed it), the AT seemed a pain, and the whole situation was not acceptable, particularly with my occupation.

Then along came the BTAS conversion. Now then, at the time, it stood to cost nearly as much as the rifle did.

Some tosser on here (you know who you are) suggested a fool and his money are easily parted....a stupid statement in many ways as it does not take into account that people only bother customising a rifle worth the expense, and most dont then sell them on. Moreover, a good half of the cost was for a beautifully finished GinB stock, which blew the other firewood ambi stock into the weeds.

Well I had it done and never looked back. The thing just did'nt compare, better accuracy, handling, consistency, fully free floating barrel, no shift in zero or power...and if it does, I can adjust it down very easily.

Am I saying the rifle is only good if Taylored? No, if you get a good one it may not show a massive difference, but it did with mine, which is now a keeper and some.....as is my BTAS410k

You may also have the know how to adjust the fitted reg (of sorts) but again, I dont, so I got Ben to sort it.

I can honestly say now that the rifle, fitted with a prototype Viper Connect, will produce a single ragged hole at 50yds...not staggering, particularly off of a bipod, but as easilly as it does it, then it does speak well.

Out of the box it is, on the face of it, a better rifle than the 410/k, but that rifle will take more abuse, will as likeley go wrong less often, and if suitably fettled produce similar results, i.e, delivering a pellet relatively consistently at approx 10.5-11.5 Fpe.

The point here was not to compare 2 of Ben Taylors offerings. Just to highlight what was lacking in the HW100.

These are inherent faults that may or may not have been adressed by now.

Some feel they are not present, somehow the figment of the users imagination....sadly incorrect. They are just either more noticeable on some rifles, or the users are more capable of spotting the problems, either way they are present in some rifles, and can either make or break the relationship with the rifle.

So, if you get a good one, great, otherwise
    I'm a maggot in another life you know