Thread: Weihrauch HW100 - First Impressions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kerplunk Guest

Weihrauch HW100 - First Impressions

I am sure my first impression of the HW100 is the same as everybody else's i.e. it is no lightweight. Some will say that the weight actually helps to stabilise the rifle on target and I must admit I can see (and feel) the logic in what they say.
    The second impression is that this is a quality piece of kit, well-made all round that feels like it is solid and built to last (which no doubt is where some of the weight comes from). Certainly this is no "toy" gun, it screams quality engineering.
    The ambi stock (I particularly wanted an ambi) is quite nicely finished in Walnut and the pistol grip falls to hand naturally. Personally, I would prefer the stock to be slightly longer and a bit more comfort/shape in the butt pad. I may look around to see if I can find a suitable adjustable butt pad (anyone know of a suitable one?). edit: Have now bought and fitted an adjustable stock and this feels a lot better and helps line up the scope to my eye far better.The 2-stage trigger is very nice and smooth and (not having tried very many myself) is, by all accounts, as good a standard trigger as there is around.
    Charging the (standard) bottle is one of the major drawbacks of the HW100. You have to unscrew the bottle, take it off the rifle to fill it and then screw it back on. Also, the bottle is very heavy (so that's where some of the weight comes in). It's a bit of hassle, and I don't like the fact of the constant screwing/unscrewing, as this only increases the risk of either cross-threading or other damage to the thread. Mine is the Mk2 so it has steel threads but even so, I don't like doing it. So, a phone call to Steve at V-Mach is required for one of his lightweight quick-fill cylinders, The only downside (well, apart from the £150 it's going to cost me) is that I will lose the useful pressure gauge that the standard bottle has. edit: now fitted with a V-mach cylinder, which, even with a bipod fitted, brings the centre of balance just under the magazine. I haven't shot with it yet but it does feel a lot better in terms of weight distributionSo, what's it like to shoot, and is it accurate?
    Well, first-off, please bear in mind I have only been shooting for a few weeks, and this was from only 20 yards. I also (cheated) used a bipod, but here is a sample of the groups I was getting.

This was a 13-shot group (number 14 can be seen to the right and up, where a beetle decided to walk up my back-stop, so I shot it!) and my point of aim was the centre of the circle. This was by no means my best group of the day and by the time I had finished zeroing my scope I was able to put pellet on pellet in the centre on my point of aim.
    A full charge gives 100+ shots and I have not noticed any particular "sweet spot" in a charge. I understand the HW100 is (semi?) regulated so I assume this helps with consistency throughout a charge.
    I have only tried AA Fields and H&N FTT pellets so far (which were the pellets recommended by the former owner), and there is an appreciable difference - definitely the AA's produce tighter groups. I will try other pellets as time goes on.

Now, I have deliberately left the very best until last. If you want just one reason to buy the HW100, then the magazine system is it. It is faultless, reliable and foolproof. You load 14 pellets into each of the 2 (supplied) magazines, slide it into the breech, slide the securing latch forward and you are ready to go. The side cocking lever is a dream to use and it is impossible to double-load. 14 shots are gone before you know it. If you get the chance to try one of these rifles, do so. The system really is that good - all rifles should be made this way. I would be concerned that if I did change rifles in the future I am not sure if any other current ones would match up to the Weihrauch in this respect.

I hope this short review helps anyone who is considering the HW100. My advice would be that, if you can get comfortable with the weight, it is likely to be more accurate than you are, and if you get the chance to try before you buy, you will be hooked by the time you have been through one magazine using the sublime multi-shot system.
    Last edited by Kerplunk; 05-08-2006 at 10:24 PM.