Thread: Weihrauch HW100 - First Impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kerplunk Guest

Weihrauch HW100 - First Impressions

I am sure my first impression of the HW100 is the same as everybody else's i.e. it is no lightweight. Some will say that the weight actually helps to stabilise the rifle on target and I must admit I can see (and feel) the logic in what they say.
    The second impression is that this is a quality piece of kit, well-made all round that feels like it is solid and built to last (which no doubt is where some of the weight comes from). Certainly this is no "toy" gun, it screams quality engineering.
    The ambi stock (I particularly wanted an ambi) is quite nicely finished in Walnut and the pistol grip falls to hand naturally. Personally, I would prefer the stock to be slightly longer and a bit more comfort/shape in the butt pad. I may look around to see if I can find a suitable adjustable butt pad (anyone know of a suitable one?). edit: Have now bought and fitted an adjustable stock and this feels a lot better and helps line up the scope to my eye far better.The 2-stage trigger is very nice and smooth and (not having tried very many myself) is, by all accounts, as good a standard trigger as there is around.
    Charging the (standard) bottle is one of the major drawbacks of the HW100. You have to unscrew the bottle, take it off the rifle to fill it and then screw it back on. Also, the bottle is very heavy (so that's where some of the weight comes in). It's a bit of hassle, and I don't like the fact of the constant screwing/unscrewing, as this only increases the risk of either cross-threading or other damage to the thread. Mine is the Mk2 so it has steel threads but even so, I don't like doing it. So, a phone call to Steve at V-Mach is required for one of his lightweight quick-fill cylinders, The only downside (well, apart from the £150 it's going to cost me) is that I will lose the useful pressure gauge that the standard bottle has. edit: now fitted with a V-mach cylinder, which, even with a bipod fitted, brings the centre of balance just under the magazine. I haven't shot with it yet but it does feel a lot better in terms of weight distributionSo, what's it like to shoot, and is it accurate?
    Well, first-off, please bear in mind I have only been shooting for a few weeks, and this was from only 20 yards. I also (cheated) used a bipod, but here is a sample of the groups I was getting.

This was a 13-shot group (number 14 can be seen to the right and up, where a beetle decided to walk up my back-stop, so I shot it!) and my point of aim was the centre of the circle. This was by no means my best group of the day and by the time I had finished zeroing my scope I was able to put pellet on pellet in the centre on my point of aim.
    A full charge gives 100+ shots and I have not noticed any particular "sweet spot" in a charge. I understand the HW100 is (semi?) regulated so I assume this helps with consistency throughout a charge.
    I have only tried AA Fields and H&N FTT pellets so far (which were the pellets recommended by the former owner), and there is an appreciable difference - definitely the AA's produce tighter groups. I will try other pellets as time goes on.

Now, I have deliberately left the very best until last. If you want just one reason to buy the HW100, then the magazine system is it. It is faultless, reliable and foolproof. You load 14 pellets into each of the 2 (supplied) magazines, slide it into the breech, slide the securing latch forward and you are ready to go. The side cocking lever is a dream to use and it is impossible to double-load. 14 shots are gone before you know it. If you get the chance to try one of these rifles, do so. The system really is that good - all rifles should be made this way. I would be concerned that if I did change rifles in the future I am not sure if any other current ones would match up to the Weihrauch in this respect.

I hope this short review helps anyone who is considering the HW100. My advice would be that, if you can get comfortable with the weight, it is likely to be more accurate than you are, and if you get the chance to try before you buy, you will be hooked by the time you have been through one magazine using the sublime multi-shot system.
    Last edited by Kerplunk; 05-08-2006 at 10:24 PM.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club

Thumbs up

A well writen review,hope you enjoy your days of shooting with the hw100 .Happy shooting.

You,ve bought a great gun, well underrated, saw a recent thread comparing Air Wolf and Rapid magazine systems, to put it in perspective, both are poor compared to the HW100 magazine. Simplicity itself. The single shot adapter is easy to use as well.

I fitted a Venom cylinder to mine which really improves the balance of the gun, and have also swapped the original ambi stock for a sporter stock. The cheek piece brings your eye more naturally to the scope, I have also cut a thumb grove in behind the action which gives it a more positive hold.

Adjustable butt plates are available from BAR (approx£12)

Enjoy

NeilB

I've recently bought an HW100S with Venom cylinder and sold my AAS400 & S410k.
    The Weihrauch is more consistent but just as accurate as the AirArms and the trigger is so much smoother.

I originally bought the S400 for HFT and felt the Weihrauch should do at least as well and with its trigger and single shot adapter, possibly better. I was reluctant to sell the 410k because it was perfect for hunting, but the HW100 is just as compact, albeit a little heavier, but with more shots and a better magazine. In fact it comes with 2 magazines that cannot double load and with a sling, the weight isn't a problem.

So I now have one rifle that easily replaces two and probably surpasses both in build quality and performance.

Like Kerplunk says in his review, there's no power curve - all shots are at the same power (until it's below about 90bar - then the power suddenly drops.) There is a regulator to control the pressure - this seems a simple device, but so much the better - it certainly works well.

I use AA Field pellets and find these to be very consistent, but it would be interesting to know what other users think about other makes of pellet in this rifle.
    Last edited by essjay; 03-08-2006 at 07:34 AM.

Really useful review, I am now torn between s410 and HW 100.
    .177" Harrier X, Hydrographically dipped with custom FT Stock. .22" S410k BTAS with walnut thumbhole stock. .223 Tikka T3 Stainless Lite. CZ Varmint 17hmr. Browning and Baikal O/U 12g.

I have AA s410 in .22 and .177 as well as an HW100s in .22, and must say that the one one most used is the HW100. I have fitted a Venow cylinder which makes it better balanced and a little lighter. I have used a Pellpax sample pack for each of my guns and come back to using AA Field pellets in all of them, still got to try JSB pellets yet. I may well sell both AA to get another HW100s in .177.

Regards,
    Kevin.
    Regards, Kevin -

Cornwall Airgunners Club.

The HW100T has been my reintroduction to air-guns after a break of twenty some years. Bit of a change from my Webley Osprey! Like the OP, I found the quality superb when I unpacked the box a few weeks ago, and I too like the heft of the gun. I'm probably not the only one who tends to equate weight with quality.

I don't find taking out and replacing the air cylinder particularly onerous, and I ensure the threads engage the right way by standing the rifle on it's butt, lowering the cylinder into place only using gravity and turn it between thumb and fore-finger which so far has ensured trouble free threading each time.

I'm shooting in .177, and having used a Pellpax selection of 38 different types of pellets, found Daystate FT in 4.52mm to give the best 10 shot group of a little over 1/4" at 28 yards bench rested (although not on a stand). Quite simply, this level of accuracy is a complete revelation.

Shooting at Lincs HFT club last night (with my wife having a try) I realise quite how quiet the latest Weihrauch silencer is, with it being barely audible at more than a couple of yards. I was also able to hear how well in compared with other rifles at the same time.

The gun as delivered was tending to creep a tad over 12 ft lbs with the H&N's I have been using, and being that kind of guy, I researched power adjustment and tweeked it down a smidge.

I am getting a very flat trajectory from about 15 yards out to 30 plus, with a drop at 40 yards of almost exactly 1 mil in the scope.

Weihrauch were one of the brands I lusted after when I was a lad, plinking in the back garden with my brother's 'Diana' (It was one where you removed the end of the muzzle, together with about a 7-8" barrel, and put the pellet in the back end of the barrel before screwing it back into place. Does anyone else remember those?). My years of waiting were well rewarded, and I feel my hours spent poring over computer reviews were justified.

I am quite sure the gun will be able to outshoot me, and enjoyed my first meander round the HFT range. I will almost certainly have a go at competitions as well as doing a bit of hunting.

Phil

Kerplunk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBloke
    Sorry, I can't help you too much with your decision, other than to say the HW100 is a very good rifle and you would not be disappointed with it. However, I have never even held an S410, but they do seem to have many followers - so opinion is likely to be divided in an open debate.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBloke
    If you want a rifle for HFT and hunting and weight is not an issue then the HW is where to go.

Out engineers AA and the mechanics are second to none for the price range.

Needs an Adj. but pad as standard and/or an adjustable cheek peice.

The mag system is the best on the market by far followed by the rapid 17 shot and air arms followed by Daystate.

It also sits below the top of the breech so there is no fouling of any scope - a brilliant feature - the only detraction is the U shape it creates may cause the action to flex. I have not had a prob with this personally but it is easily dealt with by using a one peice and as this can be positioned anywhere, that has got to be goodd news.

The trigger is excellent even out of the box - difficult to beat and the weight is just about right for HFT and hunting with a good clean crisp break on the 2nd stage.

Cracking gun

The V-Mach cylinder is def worth having and I wonder if Hydrographics could do one retaing the end guage as they do for the Steyr.

The single shot mag is again the best on the market for HFT
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBloke View Post
    Reckon you have problems...I have a 410k and love it...now I would like a Hw too

Sounds typically Wheirauch. Built to last and perform...and they lost
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    I have just sold my AA S410 Calssic and purchased a .177 standard HW100, everything about the rifle is an improvement on the Air Ams.
    I was considering the AA S510 Side lever but was offered a very good deal om th HW100 and I'm glad that I took up the offer.