Thread: Weihrauch HW100 - First Impressions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Goodness, a review of an airgun in the airgun review section

I have had my .22 HW100 for about a year and am also very pleased with it from the point of view of build quality etc. I have now switched the original Thumbhole stock for a Sporter which drops a bit of weight and feels more comfortable. Similarly have switched to a Venom cylinder to drop weight and improve the balance of the gun. I was a bit unsure about this but as soon as it was fitted the difference in feel became apparent.

I only use this gun for hunting which means that it might only get a magazine or two through it in an evening. At this air consumption rate I don't actually have to recharge the cylinder that often so I didn't have too much of a problem unscrewing it to recharge. The large O ring in the fig 8 bracket that cushions the cylinder has split on me, minor problem though. I actually liked the pressure gauge on the front of the OEM cylinder cos a quick glance at it told me where I was wheras with the QF cylinder I generally top it up every time in case of any leaks etc.

Now if HW also did a smaller lighter 'hunting' cylinder that was good for say 60shots they would be onto a winner. Lets see if the carbine one will fit ?? (update 10/07; it did so I now have one fitted !)

Slight word of caution from Hull Cartridge is that if you want to switch calibres or uprate to FAC then you need to be buying a new gun.

Currently running Accupels through it which are good though their consistency of production is not as good as it could be causing the odd flier if you havent been anal about pellet sorting.

The workings are heavily greased by the OEM so my next task will be to degrease, polish up the sear and relube which some have reported as being worthwhile.

Only minor complaints are;
    1) that I think the pressure gauge would be better fitted in the stock as per AA410
    2) Sometimes I have a rush of 5hit to the brain and after fitting the magazine I forget to to push the locking slider forward. I fire off the first shot OK then second shot - usually at a 'gift' rabbit - I end up dry firing cos the magazine hasn't indexed. I wish there was an interlock that simply prevented me firing at all if the slider wasn't fully forward.

All in all a top bit of kit.
    Last edited by deeps; 25-10-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: update 10/07