Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weihrauch HW100 - First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Really useful review, I am now torn between s410 and HW 100.
    I have just sold my AA S410 Calssic and purchased a .177 standard HW100, everything about the rifle is an improvement on the Air Ams.
    I was considering the AA S510 Side lever but was offered a very good deal om th HW100 and I'm glad that I took up the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman62 View Post
    I have just sold my AA S410 Calssic and purchased a .177 standard HW100, everything about the rifle is an improvement on the Air Ams.
    I was considering the AA S510 Side lever but was offered a very good deal om th HW100 and I'm glad that I took up the offer.
    It won't be too long now before you'll be competing in all the DRA comps, and hopefully winning a couple of trophies.....hopefully it'll soon be run in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
    It won't be too long now before you'll be competing in all the DRA comps, and hopefully winning a couple of trophies.....hopefully it'll soon be run in.
    Plucked up courage to put a competition sticker on my first 20 yard benchrest card on Friday and managed a 181.
    Plenty of useful tips from the guys at the club like 'don't clean the barrel', so I stopped doing it and its settled down, I've actualy found what appears to be a sweet spot at just over 160.
    I've tried various pellets including Weihrauch (which look very pretty) and Webley but AA 452 Diablos seem to suit best.

also try the premier, i run them through mine and my groupings are pretty great in the tunnel range

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardys View Post
    i would not be able to make a choice between these two ,
    i have used both and they are just so good , how could you choose.
    flip a coin i guess.
    Oh my giddy aunt, just spotted this and had no idea how old the thread was...

I eventually bought an HW100...I say eventually as it took an age due to stock problems etc.

I must make it clear, mine was one that had just had the ability to probe fill, it was that era.

So what happened next?

The thing was sublime to start with, I had a good first season squirrelling with it with an old connect 01 fitted...well, after I sussed out the HW Magnum pellets anyway.

Then it started to go wrong. It would not hold zero from one session to teh next.

I changed scopes...not fixed.

I then locked the front and the back parts with a piece of weaver rail riser and that helped hugely (Thanks Gary C).

Then Ben Taylor suggested chucking the barrel clamp away.

Now, I have a background in the mob as a SAAI, and the first thing the original sharpshooters (back when the rifle was born) did was remove wood form the fore end. Partly to change barrel vibration problems where it touched the stock (a forerunner to glass bedding and free floating I guess) and partly to stop damp or temp affected wood from pushing on teh barrel and changing harmonics etc....so why did HW feel teh need to bolt stock, cylinder and barrel together...you tell me, but it soon sorted the problem.

I soon became aware of the power creeping up too...now my rifle was post AT, and given that this was a design fault that will re-occur (unless they have now fixed it), the AT seemed a pain, and the whole situation was not acceptable, particularly with my occupation.

Then along came the BTAS conversion. Now then, at the time, it stood to cost nearly as much as the rifle did.

Some tosser on here (you know who you are) suggested a fool and his money are easily parted....a stupid statement in many ways as it does not take into account that people only bother customising a rifle worth the expense, and most dont then sell them on. Moreover, a good half of the cost was for a beautifully finished GinB stock, which blew the other firewood ambi stock into the weeds.

Well I had it done and never looked back. The thing just did'nt compare, better accuracy, handling, consistency, fully free floating barrel, no shift in zero or power...and if it does, I can adjust it down very easily.

Am I saying the rifle is only good if Taylored? No, if you get a good one it may not show a massive difference, but it did with mine, which is now a keeper and some.....as is my BTAS410k

You may also have the know how to adjust the fitted reg (of sorts) but again, I dont, so I got Ben to sort it.

I can honestly say now that the rifle, fitted with a prototype Viper Connect, will produce a single ragged hole at 50yds...not staggering, particularly off of a bipod, but as easilly as it does it, then it does speak well.

Out of the box it is, on the face of it, a better rifle than the 410/k, but that rifle will take more abuse, will as likeley go wrong less often, and if suitably fettled produce similar results, i.e, delivering a pellet relatively consistently at approx 10.5-11.5 Fpe.

The point here was not to compare 2 of Ben Taylors offerings. Just to highlight what was lacking in the HW100.

These are inherent faults that may or may not have been adressed by now.

Some feel they are not present, somehow the figment of the users imagination....sadly incorrect. They are just either more noticeable on some rifles, or the users are more capable of spotting the problems, either way they are present in some rifles, and can either make or break the relationship with the rifle.

So, if you get a good one, great, otherwise
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

hw100 allways wanted to try one but dont think u can beat mrk2 rapid 7. what do u guys think anyone owned both

I managed to pick up a hw100 for £450 with an air tank which I thought was a cracking deal. I love the side cocking action on the gun and it performs bang on. I can't compare this to a theoben but I do prefer the balance on my old s10 which is a similar style? apart from that, I can't fault it. joe

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    hw100 allways wanted to try one but dont think u can beat mrk2 rapid 7. what do u guys think anyone owned both
    I'm undecided on these two myself,both simlar price!

nice shooting buddy

the hw100 is a good rifle but there not many mods you can do to them which is a shame and i think would be better if it was a cocking mec

Hi there
    I had the 177 HW 100 KT gives 70 shots per fill which is great for hunting or take dive bottle. So I take mine Rapid instead.
    cheers, Mike

Hw100

Just paid £465 for an absolutely mint HW100 by all accounts from what every one sayin about this rifle it sounds like i got a bargain, rifle is thumb hole stock an came wi 2 mags an adapters.

This gun is well suited to competition shooting where you must only do single shot and not leave the magazine loaded between shots due to the single shot magazine. This magazine makes it so easy to load single shots and after firingand you pull the cocking lever it pops out empty which means you walk between targets with the magazine out and empty thus suiting the rules.