Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penalties for overpowered air rifles

Penalties for overpowered air rifles

Ok there have been numerous threads of late about possible outcomes of having overpowered air rifles.

How about info on actual penalties delivered - ideally with links to newspaper coverage about them.
    Last edited by some bloke; 04-08-2006 at 06:56 AM.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

I think it would be wiser to look at five years anything less would be a bonus
    Steve
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

According to BASC, VERY few cases of non FAC >12fpe end up in court, unless some other crime has been committed.

Cam

Thumbs down

I wake up yet again to another YAWN!!!! I have posted on this subject time and time again and nobody responds sensibly. No member on here has provided me with any evidence whatsoever that anyone with JUST an overpowered air rifle has been prosecuted let alone jailed. Please note the word JUST is vitally important.
    Clearly waving an air rifle or pistol around in a public place or using one in the course of committing a crime is a totally different matter.
    Also if I could ask for a bit of accuracy here, REACTIVATED PISTOLS are very different from 12.01 ft lb air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick
    I wake up yet again to another YAWN!!!! I have posted on this subject time and time again and nobody responds sensibly. No member on here has provided me with any evidence whatsoever that anyone with JUST an overpowered air rifle has been prosecuted let alone jailed. Please note the word JUST is vitally important.
    Clearly waving an air rifle or pistol around in a public place or using one in the course of committing a crime is a totally different matter.
    Also if I could ask for a bit of accuracy here, REACTIVATED PISTOLS are very different from 12.01 ft lb air rifles.
    Yep!

Cam

Rapidnick - Now looking at my post I can see it's a bit "round the houses"

You are correct to suggest the second part of the post has nothing to do with the first - and for clarification purposes I will ammend the post. ATB, Dave

I too suspect there will be very few results to show here

EDIT: typo
    Last edited by some bloke; 04-08-2006 at 07:06 AM.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke
    Rapidnick - Now looking at my post I can see it's a bit "round the houses"

You are correct to suggest the second part of the post has nothing to do with the first - and for clarification purposes I will ammend the post. ATB, Dave

I too suspect there will be very few results to show here

EDIT: typo

Thanks for that. I am not trying to make members complacent but neither should they be paranoid! Sensible air rifle power monitoring, use and storage is in all our interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Livesley165710
    I think it would be wiser to look at five years anything less would be a bonus
    Steve
    No, that would only apply if you had an unlicensed air cartridge system air rifle or pistol, or some other kind of Section 5 (prohibited) weapon. Even then it would appear the 'mandatory' 5 year sentence is sometimes not being applied.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell
    According to BASC, VERY few cases of non FAC >12fpe end up in court, unless some other crime has been committed.

Cam
    I've been shooting with airguns since 1979 and have never heard of such a prosecution.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

sick to the teeth

not this old chestnut again

Offence

About 4 years ago a guy up in Pontypridd was arrested for shooting on "common ground"....lots of it round there I may well add. He wasn't acting with intent to harm, just simply out rabbiting.....

The rifle was examined by "experts " and was found to be producing 18.5Ft/lb...The guy was not an FAC holder and it went to court.....

The judge ordered confiscation and destruction of rifle / scope - This was deemed a value of £400..

Cannot remember what the other surrounding factors were regarding individual but I suspect he was not working bla.... bla......The judge probably felt sorry for him (and probably asked for rabbit as a backhander ). This was in the "western mail" news paper.

This is the only situation that I have ever heard of...
    Doe's dat dies are da lucky ones!!!!

Exclamation Whoops...

Just a little bit over 12 ftlb then !!!!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Seems our local plod have a tolerance band...sounds sensible to me.

That said, I have never heard about anyone actually getting done.

Personallyy, I reckon its high time they introduced a power band, above which you get an automatic fine (bit like the 90mph in some regions).

Who would bother tampering with a rifle to get an extra 1.5fpe out of it And what good would it do you

Should be a standardised test too, but hey, how often

ATB

Chris
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

low boredom threshold Paul?

Joe Guest
    12.1 ftlb rifle equals a telling off unless you're dicking about. 6.1 ftlbs pistol is very very serious i.e dont go there its the min 5 years job. Theres a good reason for it being a min of 5 years because if you've been sentanced to (not served, sentanced to) 5 years in custard you may never ever touch a firearm again. Quite a deterant eh?