Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S400 What's different about the new model?

AirArmsDavid Guest

S400 What's different about the new model?

Is the only difference between the new S400 and the previous model just the chequering? Or were there some mods to the action before the chequering changed? If so, how do I tell them apart...serial no.?

What else is different?

Interested in picking up a used one but don't want to make a bad choice.
    I read in a thread... "make sure you get the new model..."

Thanks!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    They have had loads of changes in the S4*0's life.
    Master Debater

David....not too sure why anyone would say "make sure you get the new one"...the one that Jamie shot at N oxon was at least 3 years old and does the business for me and the safety on the new version seems to have a habit of falling to bits ....also the AAs400 is fairly easy to service so there should be no problems with an older one....my only advice would be to ask if its been "tinkered" with.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

AirArmsDavid Guest
    Thanks...
    Would £250 be a reasonable price to pay for a classic walnut S400 .177 with a few scope mounting marks?
    I know yours is the carbine Chris, better for HFT I suppose, but more shots from the classic so about equal I suppose? And after the weight of the Pro Sport, it'd feel light as a feather anyway!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by AirArmsNewbie
    Thanks...
    Would £250 be a reasonable price to pay for a classic walnut S400 .177 with a few scope mounting marks?
    I know yours is the carbine Chris, better for HFT I suppose, but more shots from the classic so about equal I suppose? And after the weight of the Pro Sport, it'd feel light as a feather anyway!
    Why dont you just get a NEW beech one for £300??!
    Master Debater

AirArmsDavid Guest
    Personal preference...
    It would match my Pro Sport's walnut you see!

Quote Originally Posted by AirArmsNewbie
    Thanks...
    I would say it's just a tad overpriced. My walnut S400 Classic was bought second-hand (only a couple of months old) nearly 3 years ago. It included a Deben Hawke 3-9*50 IR mil-dot scope, AA silencer, fill adaptor, and fleece-lined gunslip. All for the princely sum of £280 - and it was absolutely unmarked.
    "I would laud the day when there is a rifle in every cottage in England." Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil.Your 'local' hospice needs your charity . Please give until it hurts..I made this

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    The old one has a bayonet filler which was designed for liquid not air and adapted. The new one has a better trigger with a safety catch. Beech stoch has a fancy fleur de lys chequering on grip and forend. Filler is a 90 degree type with 2 '0' rings. Same bullet proof reliability and pin point accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite
    The old one has a bayonet filler which was designed for liquid not air and adapted. The new one has a better trigger with a safety catch. Beech stoch has a fancy fleur de lys chequering on grip and forend. Filler is a 90 degree type with 2 '0' rings. Same bullet proof reliability and pin point accuracy.
    New trigger has three sears instead of two, make for a nicer "feel" I think, also, a new valve composition, seems to allow more shots per fill.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    AA S410, one gun, and I know how to use it.

Northernspark Guest
    Also the newer valve is slightly more consistant.

Steve

AirArmsDavid Guest
    So, are all the 'newer' features only on the ones with the fancy chequering?

Pretty much, although the new valve is in every rifle serviced since 2005 as well. It is the same size/shape but the plastic head is slightly different. The easy way to tell is if the head is white, it is early, black is modified.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Northernspark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm bands
    Pretty much, although the new valve is in every rifle serviced since 2005 as well. It is the same size/shape but the plastic head is slightly different. The easy way to tell is if the head is white, it is early, black is modified.
    The early ones with the black matierial were too soft and this affected the fps variation quite a lot, the newest ones are made of something harder.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Northernspark
    The early ones with the black matierial were too soft and this affected the fps variation quite a lot, the newest ones are made of something harder.

Steve

Really? the dodgy valve I took out of my S400 was white, constantly leaked too, the replacement was black and has been spot on. Were there two attempts at modifying the valve and both were black, or is the colour irrelevant?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Northernspark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm bands
    Were there two attempts at modifying the valve and both were black
    Correct, Jeff Skinner who is Club Secrety for Redfearns FTC has just been sent a load of the new valves by Bill Sanders to fit to guns which he has sold.

I think if your gun is manufactured AFTER 9/2005 you should be safe

Steve