Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rabbits

haden 1 Guest

rabbits

when is rabbit season

All year mate really, it just depends if you dont like shooting little or pregnent bunnies really i cant say as it bothers me but others wont, hope this helps

ATB Rob
    Shot master tuned hw80/97k. BSA ultra s/s
    [url]www.airgunshooters.freeforums.org[/urll

haden 1 Guest

rabbits

thanks mate so you do a lot of shooting then iv got a hw90 its shooting 12 pounds just got 300 acres of land in stoke on trent.

There was an old saying about the bunnies where you shouldnt eat or shoot them in any month with an "R" in it. It never bothered me when on school holidays etc as they were always July and August so I just popped away at them.

It must be great to have 300 acres to go at,well done.

David

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ53
    There was an old saying about the bunnies where you shouldnt eat or shoot them in any month with an "R" in it. It never bothered me when on school holidays etc as they were always July and August so I just popped away at them.

David
    Are you sure that isn't oysters ? (apart from the shooting bit).

Willyleigh is offline Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobiac
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ53

David
    I thought that that was when you shouldn't eat pork or so our butcher said

Haden,

Can I make a couple if suggestions mate.

First one is a suggestion to fill in your profile so's people have a bit more idea about where you're coming from (in any sense of the term not just geographically ).

The other thing is how you know it's doing 12 FPE? Assuming it's because you've either had it chrono'd or chrono'd it yourself then may I make an observation and then a suggestion.

The observation is that the difference at airgun ranges (35 yards for most of us most of the time 40 yards on a good day) between 12 FPE and 11.2 FPE in terms of point of impact and penetration is so little as to be irrelevant.

The advantage of having your rifle at 11.2 FPE is that on a hot day if the some of the grease around the spring melts and 'leaks' into the transfer port your rifle won't be doing over 12 FPE (because of the extra dieseling) or if someone maliciously uses different pellets to those that you used to chrono it, to chono it themselves (like the police for instance) then the rifle is unlikely to be over the 12 FPE limit either.

If you leave it at 12FPE and the police do get to test the rifle in either of the above circumstances then the rifle will be over 12 FPE and you'll definitely lose your rifle and could end up with a conviction for owing an illegal section 1 firearm. Not a good thing.

So if it is definitely doing 12FPE or close then take the rifle to a good gunsmith's and get it tuned down to 11.2. It'll be good for your conscience, good for your nerves and good for the reputation of the sport we all love.

If you're not sure what the rifle's doing then at the least get thee hence to a gunshop and get it tested or even better get a Combro CB625 chrono for only £39.95 from our esteemed sponsor JS Ramsbottom and test it yourself. You'll feel better for it!

Dont take it to a gunshop haden 1 - they have (allegedly an obligation to "conviscate" it, though that may depend on how well they know you, or how they see you as a shooter.

Get yourself a combro if you suspect it's close to or over the limit. google "combro" This has been refered to because you have stated it's doing12 pounds. If you live on that permission, I personally would'nt worry too much about it, but if you have to travel to it then potentially you risk losing it and a fine if the only concern is one of power.

control rabbits anytime you or the landowner wants

And welcome to the forum. Most replies to questions will be factual, but there are always a few who like to selectivly read and twist things around a tad, or become alarmist - especially if you didnt follow the rules about filling in your profile.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke
    Dont take it to a gunshop haden 1 - they have (allegedly an obligation to "conviscate" it, though that may depend on how well they know you, or how they see you as a shooter.
    Some bloke may have a point here. so yes get yourself a combro.

If you live on that permission, I personally would'nt worry too much about it, but if you have to travel to it then potentially you risk losing it and a fine if the only concern is one of power.
    This is sh|t advice. Give this thread 'till tomorrow evening and you'll find that most on will say the same. If your rifle is doing more than 12 FPE you are breaking the law - you'd have a section 1 firearm with no licence. Keeping it in that state is irresponsible. Our sport is under enough attack from all sides without us adding to it. If your rifle is running at the limit, get it sorted, it's the adult thing to do.

Most replies to questions will be factual, but there are always a few who like to selectivly read and twist things around a tad, or become alarmist - especially if you didnt follow the rules about filling in your profile.
    This has nothing to do with your profile BTW, it was just a bit of friendly advice.

TBH Haden do a search and check Some Bloke's posts...he's not one of the board's more respected members and he's not been on here that long.

when is rabbit season?

Whenever I have one in my sights.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    AA S410, one gun, and I know how to use it.

Another newbie's enquiry thread getting hijacked by weevie Since he has now invited all and sundry to comment on my opinion rather than your questions.

I subtly pointed out here that it was illegal weevie: "potentially you risk losing it and a fine if the only concern is one of power."

The point I'm making is that if you shoot your own 300 acres you are unlikely to be required to hand your gun in for power checks. You have also not said it is over 12 pounds, nor have you said how you arrive at that figure, heavy pellets/light pellets? Could it be that you merely feel its a full 12pounds, or say that to distinguish it from a FAC poundage?

Edited to keep the peace.
    Last edited by some bloke; 14-08-2006 at 02:15 AM.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

You could have read my original post before you got your @rse in your hands. Peppered all over my post was the word 'if'.

And yes I do mean lighter pellets (well, in most springers but it's important to check what yours does) or as I've said the possibility on a hot day of extra lube running into the transfer port and adding to the normal amount of dieseling and increasing the rifle's power over 12 FPE.

Leaving a rifle in a state where it's easy for it to go over the limit is not clever. It's not a case of as you seem to imply 'don't get caught <wink> <wink>'.

...and yes I was hoping that if you (and the original poster) didn't believe me you'd take the word of the responsible majority.

But I guess you're one of those blokes who like's being in the eejit minority aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by haden 1
    thanks mate so you do a lot of shooting then iv got a hw90 its shooting 12 pounds just got 300 acres of land in stoke on trent.

A good bit of land then, hope it all goes well, and you have some good bunnie bashing days and nights And im sure your weihrauch is more than up to the job

ATB Rob
    Shot master tuned hw80/97k. BSA ultra s/s
    [url]www.airgunshooters.freeforums.org[/urll

My Quote: Most replies to questions will be factual, but there are always a few who like to selectivly read and twist things around a tad, or become alarmist - especially if you didnt follow the rules about filling in your profile.
    [/QUOTE]

haden 1, I'm sorry you have seen such a poor welcome from weevie, who has made NO reply to either of your questions in three posts now, huffed and puffed on things that you didn't ask about, and did'nt even bother to welcome you to this forum. In fact he has used YOUR thread to attack me (AGAIN)

I personally didn't feel any need to take a sharp intake of breath at your post.

weevie quote: You could have read my original post before you got your @rse in your hands. Peppered all over my post was the word 'if'.
    My reply was to your original post, may I suggest you take YOUR head out your ass and look again?

weevie quote: TBH Haden do a search and check Some Bloke's posts...he's not one of the board's more respected members and he's not been on here that long.

I agree I couldn't possibly be anywhere near as important as the long term and very respected weevie who has more than twice as many posts as me. If you were to search his posts, you will only find the "good" ones - because he blatantly uses expletives and personal insults when a newcomers thread doesn't go his way. I rather suspect that this thread will go downhill as weevies buddies come to hold his hand, and it will probably get zapped.

weevie - you seem to be a bit testy for someone of such tender years - arn't you getting enough?

Wow this thread got silly quickly didn't it
    To play devils advocate like, I suspect he said it was doing 12 foot pounds meaning it was a UK legal airgun. He probably has no idea what it's really doing, like the rest of us when we first got into the sport.
    Definately worth investing in a combro though, particulary if you're likely to come into contact with twitchy members of the public while out on your 300 acre shoot. Always better safe than sorry.