Thread: Daystate .22 Airwolf "40fpe" version

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I seriously considering getting either an Airwolf or an Air ranger on FAC myself, shooting as you have elected JSBs at the low 900s... Just can't decide which to get, need to wait for RapidNick to get his and have a play first
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

BuddyBoy,

Hopefully you'll get a chance to shoot them both and then decide, but I say unless you're dead set against the electronics, the wolf is clearly at an advantage over the ranger from what I've seen (having also previously owned a 35fpe air ranger). The electronic firing system and trigger are much nicer than the mechanical version. If you're already looking to spend such a large amount of money, why not go all the way? What is drawing you towards the air ranger?

Regards,

Scott in CO

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    No idea really, just seems less to go wrong ! Then again I had a MK3 sport (12 FPE .177) which was flawless, and boringly accurate
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
    No idea really, just seems less to go wrong ! Then again I had a MK3 sport (12 FPE .177) which was flawless, and boringly accurate
    yer almost as accurate as you and your tx
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
    I seriously considering getting either an Airwolf or an Air ranger on FAC myself, shooting as you have elected JSBs at the low 900s... Just can't decide which to get, need to wait for RapidNick to get his and have a play first
    You'll have to wait a while Jon! I certainly have considered one but have decided not to buy 'new' so----who knows? I'm also getting on really well with my Rapid 2 at the moment so there isn't really that much mental pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick
    You'll have to wait a while Jon! I certainly have considered one but have decided not to buy 'new' so----who knows? I'm also getting on really well with my Rapid 2 at the moment so there isn't really that much mental pressure.
    well i think that is very selfish poor john had his heart on trying yours, you should be ashamed
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Air WOLF

top write up scott. electronic the way forward me thinks.
    Buddy Boy i have my air ranger 177 mint up for sale. (going to have me a Wolf)
    Cheers
    Dave

Scott - nice review mate.

So you have owned a couple of FAC Rapids, an Air Ranger and now an Air Wolf - that's quite of lot of air-firepower mate

I no longer have an FAC Rapid but if memory serves I used to get around 70 shots at 30 ftlbs with good accuracy - I would have thought that a 500CC bottle would have got more like 120 shots - or am I loosing my marbles (again....sigh.... blue pill - blue pill stat!).

Once I move house I am going to treat myself to either a MK3 (I know less power/shots but such a pretty gun) or an Air-Wolf.
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

Howdy Russ,

Yeah, I know what you mean about the 400 vs 500cc's of air. Things don't seem to compute... But you've got to consider your rapid (and my old rapid) had 21" barrels, vs. the 17" barrel on the wolf, right? That evens things out a bit. My old rapid was set at 34fpe and I got 50 shots that would stay within a 25fps extreme spread. I've heard of 100 shots from 400cc's at 30fpe with the rapid, but have not seen the spreads. -And there is hope for the wolf, since David Snook is reporting 130 shots at 30fpe with his shot compensation. -And he's says he's working on a hand-held programmer so we can program our own compensation. Lets cross our fingers and hope that programmer makes it to production!!!
    Good luck with your next gun purchase! If you're going .177, I'd recommend the MK3 with the regulator -70 shots per fill at 860fps with 10.3's and a 10-15fps extreme spread. Check out this 50 shot group from 35yds with the MK3 ft:
    http://www.hunt101.com/img/422495.jpg
    THE most consistent/accurate thing I've ever seen... Absolutely brilliant platform for FAC .177, IMO. If you're going .22 then I have to vote for the wolf. Shot count on the Mk3 at 30fpe may be troubling if you want a nice tight spread...

regards,

Scott in CO

Probably go with .22 to be honest.

Not sure about bird-shooting with high-power .177. Fine for bunny head shots but smaller bird chest shots seem to be more reliable in .22 at FAC levels.
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.