Thread: Information Help Please

R.A.S. Guest

Information Help Please

Morning Folkes,
    I am an Ex .22 rimfire target shooter who had to give up because I can't shoot in glasses and my eyesight isn't good enough at 100 yds.
    I tried my mates air-rifle with a scope, and found the I could see the target clearly.
    I have been doing some research to decide what gun to buy, and have come across the term "gas-ram", but I can't find out much about it other than it appears on the more expensive spring guns.

Could anyone please explain what a gas-ram is, and the pro's and con's of this system.
    I am looking for accuracy, and realise that PCP rifles are the best but I'm put off by the initial outlay for charging equipment until I've found out if I enjoy the sport.

Basically a Gas Ram replaces the spring on a normal spring gun with something akin
    to a car shock absorber.

It changes the firing cycle and gives less recoil. Mainly the realm of Theoben but HW
    have one in their range as well.

Nealsey
    I'm back.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    A gas ram is basically a pneumatic ram that fits in place of a spring. To all intents and purposes, it works just like a spring - you don't need a gas cylinder - you simply cock and reload. The main difference from a user's perspective is the firing cycle. In many ways, it's similar to a rifle - a short, sharp, shock. Many hate this feeling. I love my gas ram guns though (but then I also love my PCPs and my springers!). The only way to be sure is to try one and see if you like it.

Nealsey - you beat me to it!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

try before you buy, if you don't want pcp. As usual, try a HW77k, HW97k, HW95k, TX200mk3/hc and prosport (all springers) as well as the gas ram guns.

Most clubs have an air bottle which members, (or visitors,) can use for a small fee. This might help to keep the cost of a PCP down. A good springer is about £250, a PCP, about £300-350. Gas rams tend to cost more than springers.
    Visit a club and see what people are using, and "try before you buy."
    Don't forget, a good scope is just as important as the rifle. To see where your pellets are hitting at longer ranges, you need something that will give you about 10 to 12X mag.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

R.A.S. Guest
    Thanks for the replies, I now understand what a gas-ram is, but with a similarly priced/quality springer and gas-ram what would the differences be in accuracy, consistency and recoil.

iveshot some fantastic gas rams and some awful ones.... I find them extremely hold sensitive and pellet fussy. But others don't

Get yourself a springer

Ideot Savant Guest
    I wouldnt worry about the rifles power plant. Gas ram or spring, either can work well. I'd be more concerned about the fit, balance and trigger etc.

gas ram

my boy put one in his lightning. total transformation. NICE

the recoil with a gasram is sharper than a spring, some have been known to destroy scopes,I Have owned two gasrams both were inconsistant rubbish, PHERHAPS I was unlucky, but some people love them,

Quote Originally Posted by wadoka
    I wouldnt worry about the rifles power plant. Gas ram or spring, either can work well. I'd be more concerned about the fit, balance and trigger etc.
    This is very good advice,and buy the very best scope you can afford,buy cheap buy twice,