Thread: ratcatcher

ihatefrogs87 Guest

ratcatcher

My son who is 8 loves to watch me shoot i was just wondering is a ratcatcher ok for a gun for him self I have been looking at a crosman 2250 rifle for him 500fps (8ft lbs) is that ok for bunnys also

Jim145 is offline I've decided not to touch mine...
    I would think the Crossman will be a good gun for him to learn with, shoot targets and tin cans. If your wanting a gun that will also be used to hunt with (once he's reached sufficent level) you need a full power rifle, something along the lines of a BSA Supersport

ihatefrogs87 Guest
    ok pal cheers

The building site, hopelessly congested Krakow of the Midlands...Banbury
    Hi

Time to take a pace back and look hard at this one in the cold light of day:

2250 is not enough for rabbits @8fpe and I also doubt that an 8 year old is ready to take the responsibility of shooting live animals, and to account for the safety issues, no matter how well supervised. let him watch by all means but shoot, no.

As to buying him a supersport, err, no, just no. There might be some legal stuff here too ref new rules but I'm not sure.

muttley

The building site, hopelessly congested Krakow of the Midlands...Banbury

Part 2

I see from your profile that you are new to shooting and have now got your first shoot. I'd say leave your lad at home, get basc cover and don't take the gun the first couple of times, just go for a looksee.

BTW NO shooting at rabbits until you know your ranges and are 100% at them (loads of posts on this sort of thing).

muttley

ihatefrogs87 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by muttley
    I see from your profile that you are new to shooting and have now got your first shoot. I'd say leave your lad at home, get basc cover and don't take the gun the first couple of times, just go for a looksee.

BTW NO shooting at rabbits until you know your ranges and are 100% at them (loads of posts on this sort of thing).

muttley
    all ready sorted

ihatefrogs87 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim145
    I would think the Crossman will be a good gun for him to learn with, shoot targets and tin cans. If your wanting a gun that will also be used to hunt with (once he's reached sufficent level) you need a full power rifle, something along the lines of a BSA Supersport
    one person one thing one something else

what is a man to do,i prob just get him the crossman let him targets etc,sure his mom will be happy with that

Oh I dunno, if a 'zero tolerance - 100% total supervision' approach is taken then I think 8 is old enough.

But only for plinking I'd say.

TBH mate and not being funny at all, if you didn't know that 8FPE isn't good enough for the ranges that rabbits are mostly going to be at then I think you probably need to learn a bit more before you take live quarry yourself.