Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello, need a little bit of information

kristiaan_d Guest

Hello, need a little bit of information

Hello all,
    just thought i would introduce myself and hopefully get an answer to a question.

the names Kris and i have been an Air Rifle enthusiast since i was old enough to fire one, i have gone through quite a few rifles and air guns, but faded in and out of them all. never settling on one i liked.

I have had experience repairing them, building them upgrades etc (also had some brief experience with the ol scatter guns (shotguns incase you did'nt know) but there harder to use without a legal place to use them.

i have just bought a new rifle online after reading some decent reviews about it, got the Rifle, scope, 2 packs of pellets and a gun bag, so i figured i am ready to go on that aspect.

my question is can anyone tell me if there is an OX Spring or alternative high preformance spring avaliable in the UK for this Rifle?

Or do you think in your opinions the preformance of the gun is adequate.

http://www.bbguns.co.uk/843_1_1757805.html

and if you would`nt mind answering one more question whats the best way to sight a new rifle in without any formal equipment designed for the job, or any wide open expanses of land to sit down and target shoot all day?

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Hi Kris & welcome.

First of all, fill in your profile by clicking on user cp and tell us a bit about yourself and where you are from.

Secondly, why do you want to fit a new spring to a new rifle? More power??

Thridly, if you tell us where you are, we might be able to track down a club for you.
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

You aren't from Denmark, by any chance...!?

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Is that a Chinese clone?
    First tip, shorten your 'location' it's taking me off the page and round the back of my PC.

Secondly, be very wary of any ad that claims:
    velocity 595 fps, trigger block safety, scope grooves cut in to breech, range approx 460 metres
    That is essentially half a kilometre... Not bad at under 600fps.

Don't even consider changing the spring until you've got access to a chrono.
    You may well end up putting a far worse one in.

Only way to zero it is to take it out to the field of your choice with a decent backstop, select your desired range (I'd start at 20m) and 'test & adjust'.

Ah I see it's an SMK XS36.
    Isn't that the Chinese TX200 copy? Kind of looks a bit like one.

My first rifle of recent years was their Custom Lion and despite it's many detractors I found it a very useful and accurate gun, once I'd put a decent scope on it. It gave out around 11.5 ft/lb with its original spring so I see little need to upgrade if it's as good as mine.

kristiaan_d Guest

Hello again

OK must appologise for the long location not used to this board yet. To narrow down my location, search for Aberdare on Google Earth (in the uk lol) and thats more or less where i am, i have located one club in my area that i am going to visit on saturday see what there like. (but not many close enough i don't have to spend at least 35 - 45 mins driving to get to)

honestly yes the reason i would like to fit a new spring into a new rifle is more power from the get go.

I don't know if it was my experiences with rifles but i always found that most new (or second hand) rifles has an "adequate" spring in the gun but i found changing the spring normally gave them a vast improvment in there power. not to mention they seemed to last longer with a new spring from the get go rather than half way through there life.

or it could be me buying cheap rubbish guns. hehehe.

i know that is an impressive claim for a gun ad, but i know for certain that my present rifle is accurate upto 250 yards (not sure if that is an average range or not on these guns as i have never measured it in the past) so if i can get that same sort of distance or slightly further i would be happy with the gun.

If not and it appears to be having a hard time blowing holes in wet toilet paper at point blank it will be a return and refund job, and save up for a nice webley.

Oh dear.

do you know how many ft/lbs your rifle is doing at the moment? (it must be 12ft/lbs maximum, due to the laws). if you dont know you might want to get hold of a chrono and see before fitting a new spring.

ATB mikey
    Last edited by Mikey Boy; 29-08-2006 at 04:48 PM.

or it could be me buying cheap rubbish guns. hehehe.

Got it in one..

anyone know the best way of getting spag bol splashes off a monitor and keyboard ???????
    Regards
    Seggy

Quote Originally Posted by kristiaan_d
    i know that is an impressive claim for a gun ad, but i know for certain that my present rifle is accurate upto 250 yards (not sure if that is an average range or not on these guns as i have never measured it in the past)

Must be them funny Welsh yards.

ATB
    Ray

Yup, tis a cheap chinese version of a decent gun, but as my above post says, I got 11.5 from mine out of the box, didn't know that til I'd got the chrono though...
    Save up 40 quid and get a combro before messing with it.
    If you put an Ox in it you'll nacker its working parts.
    If you put any spring in it either with or without checking it it's your fault when the Police check it.

Quote Originally Posted by kristiaan_d
    i know that is an impressive claim for a gun ad, but i know for certain that my present rifle is accurate upto 250 yards (not sure if that is an average range or not on these guns as i have never measured it in the past) so if i can get that same sort of distance or slightly further i would be happy with the gun.
    Define accurate please..

The only rifles I've used that are 'accurate' to those ranges are the 7.62 SLR, and 5.56 SA80. No air rifle under 18ft/lb will be accurate beyond 100 Yds for the simple reason that if a sparrow farts anywhere near the flight path it will knock the pellet off by at least 6 inches. Unless your idea of accuracy isn't as hot as mine........

steelyglint is offline Worried bored dissapointed vain product From The Nonsense Factory who knows he shouldn't, but does, anyway
    Now now be nice !!
    Don't want to scare a newb off, I still consider myself one.

Kris, I think what you may find is that you may need to have a re think on your range estimation
    Last edited by steelyglint; 29-08-2006 at 05:04 PM.
    "Going to war over religion is basically killing one another to see who's got the better imaginary friend..."
    Spaniels and guns: what more does a man need?

Quote Originally Posted by steelyglint
    Kris, I think what you may find is that you may need to have a re think on your range estimation

Just drop off the zero at the end and he'll be fine........