Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello, need a little bit of information

Quote Originally Posted by kristiaan_d
    someone is happy tonite

ok so in terms of a jap knockoff i have just managed to purchase, can someone suggest a better rifle that doesn`t have made in taiwan stamped on it and is going to be decent enough for a beginner in the world of rifles??

Some good names to start with are BSA, Webley and Weirauch. You'll get a much better deal if you have a look at second hand

also i did ask a while ago and would really appreciate an answer as i don`t understand it, what is the 4X32 about on the scopes?? is this regarding distance it can see etc?

It means the scope will magnify 4 times and the front lens on the scope is 32mm.

my current rifle is a BAM XS-B19 (also known to a lot of you on here from today as the "Miracle Rifle" ) which again is a cheap jap knockoff as far as i can tell ( not to mention the "Made in Japan" stamp on it )

But it has a 4X32 scope on it, hits everything i point it at, and may not last a year due to me adding an OX Spring to it. but its my first gun for nearly 6 years and i am happy with it.

When you say 'hits' I'm hoping here you mean tin cans and the like. These cheapy chinese rifles are really not suitable for humane quarry dispatch

what i wanted to know originally was if i could get or fit a high power spring to the rifle i left a link to, but to find out that is also a jap knockoff that proberbly won`t last 2 shots with a higher preformace spring in it. obviously i won't bother with it.

If you spend some decent money on a decent rifle you won't need to muck about with putting OX springs (which are rubbish BTW) in them, a properly manufactured rifle will be a finely balanced piece of engineering which will work best with the spring it was designed to have in it

i don't doubt a lot if not all of you know far more than myself on this matter, but what would of been nice would of been some corrections to what i have been babbling on about or an "are you sure that distance is correct" rather than having nearly 2 pages worth of mickey takes

Sorry mate. It's a combination of understandable paranoia about people trolling and just plain amusement at the misfortune of others, nasty but funny nonetheless

weevie is the first person i have read a message from that points out i have a lot to learn but offers some information at the same time.

Weevie is a nice guy of course...you can trust him, honest!

I am first to acknowlage that i know little about rifles, i know how to take them apart and repair them when needed and have never had a problem putting one of my cheap guns back together, or using it etc and i am fast to learn on a subject to.

sorry if this sounds "off" in anyway as it is'nt meant to but this is the first messageboard i have been on regarding a particular subject, and had such a hard time from one very ( yes i admit it ) inacurate post.

Yeah this place is a bit rough and ready sometimes, the airgun forum is much more polite I believe but I personally think it's a lot more fun here. Once you get to know the people on here you'll be fine
    and some text to mkake the damn message post!

kristiaan_d Guest
    ok, so just to clarify , i have a jap piece of junk and have just bought another one ( with scope, bag and 1000 Pellets )

there are no decent gun shops in my area at all, nearly all of the ones i have been sell the cheap jap rubbish that most people like me buy hehe

there was one in the Neath area by me BUT as far as i know there long closed down. (any suggestions on a good one between here and cardiff would be cool)

if i take to this club on the weekend and the people there take to me i will consider getting a better rifle, but at the moment the only places i can go by me are up the mountains and if i am feeling lucky into some farmers land hoping he does`nt turn up.

So to spend a fortune on a good solid rifle and then go and get it taken off me by the police and maybe a fine and prison for tresspassing etc .. etc at the moment is not worth it.

if anyone can suggest any good clubs in the aberdare to caerphilly area would be appreciated as well so i can get some phonecalls and visits sorted for this weekend.

if i take to this club on the weekend and the people there take to me i will consider getting a better rifle, but at the moment the only places i can go by me are up the mountains and if i am feeling lucky into some farmers land hoping he does`nt turn up.

trespassing with a an air rifle is not good!!! you can get in serious trouble dont do it

kristiaan_d Guest
    thats why i said if i am feeling lucky its very rare i do it and normally only for crossing one bit of forrest to another with the rifle away

i know there are still issues with this but i figure its better than someone finding me camped out shooting in the field. this is my problem i a really want to get back into this BUT, there is nowhere around me at all i can go to use the thing.

i have left posts on forums local to my area in the hope that someone who reads it has some land and are willing to allow me to shoot on it. other than that all i can do is hope that this club pans out.

ok, so just to clarify , i have a jap piece of junk and have just bought another one ( with scope, bag and 1000 Pellets )

there are no decent gun shops in my area at all, nearly all of the ones i have been sell the cheap jap rubbish that most people like me buy hehe

there was one in the Neath area by me BUT as far as i know there long closed down. (any suggestions on a good one between here and cardiff would be cool)

You could have a look on here for a good sencond hand deal. Shooters on here tend to take good care of their rifles and so you're likely to get quite a good deal

All land is owned by someone and you have to have permission to take a firearm onto a piece of land or it's armed trespass mate, very bad. Don't do it. Find a club. It's possible you'll meet people at the club who might take you along to their shoots once they've got to know you.

So to spend a fortune on a good solid rifle and then go and get it taken off me by the police and maybe a fine and prison for tresspassing etc .. etc at the moment is not worth it.

Like I said jus go along to a club, get some advice and see if you can get to try some of the members rifles

if anyone can suggest any good clubs in the aberdare to caerphilly area would be appreciated as well so i can get some phonecalls and visits sorted for this weekend.

have a look at these: http://www.bfta.net/clubfinder.htm or http://www.ukahft-photos.org.uk/Htdocs/airgunclubs.htm
    The thing about shooting, like any activity really, is that unless you get above a certain quality of equipment you'll never find out if you really enjoy it as the poor quality of the kit may detract from the experience. Fortunately as I said above you can often get some really good deals secondhand on here so it doesn't have to be too expensive.

and normally only for crossing one bit of forrest to another with the rifle away
    unless you've got permission from the person that owns the forest you're comitting armed trespass there as well. Like I said, all land is owned by someone.

Just had a bit closer look at the UKAHFT club finder and good news! There are quite a few clubs in your area.
    Last edited by Weevie; 29-08-2006 at 09:45 PM.

i know that is an impressive claim for a gun ad, but i know for certain that my present rifle is accurate upto 250 yards (not sure if that is an average range or not on these guns as i have never measured it in the past) so if i can get that same sort of distance or slightly further i would be happy with the gun.

Let me get this right you want to fit a new spring to a new rifle that is accurate out to 250yds to get more power, are you having a laugh I have my rimfire zeroed at 75yds (Aprox 90 ftb ) and have a kill zone out to 150 so how a bog standard gun (12ftb) can be accurate at that distance could only be within the TWILIGHT Zone, excuse me for sounding cynical
    I AM NOT A NUMBER ! THE PRISONER

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133002

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye dick
    Let me get this right you want to fit a new spring to a new rifle that is accurate out to 250yds to get more power, are you having a laugh I have my rimfire zeroed at 75yds (Aprox 90 ftb ) and have a kill zone out to 150 so how a bog standard gun (12ftb) can be accurate at that distance could only be within the TWILIGHT Zone, excuse me for sounding cynical
    Mate...read the rest of the thread and edit yer post mate

Just newbie's confusion I'd say. I think this guy's on the level tho'. Just needs to be given the right information about stuff like quality manufacturers, the law, benefits of going to a club.

good on yer Weevie, lets hope the guy gets the message and makes a fresh start before the mods and some of the others get up tpomorrow!

BTW armed Trespass is a huge no-no, I was out shooting at the weekend with a mate, I had my S410, he had his rimmie, and we pinged some poachers - when we approched them they said the foreman had given them permission to do some ferreting ( complete rubbish as the foreman is my mates dad!) anyway we rung the owner of the land and told her, she kicked them off within minutes of finding out, 100% of all shooters would of done the same, so there is a risk of you getting caught.

just read

Quote Originally Posted by weevie
    Mate...read the rest of the thread and edit yer post mate

Just newbie's confusion I'd say. I think this guy's on the level tho'. Just needs to be given the right information about stuff like quality manufacturers, the law, benefits of going to a club.

Just read the rest of the posts weevie I think that was Celtic reaction cue off from the back foot but God he needs to think a little, walking onto peoples land with any kind of gun you run the risk of a the very least being arrested and the worst scenario shot by AVR, I think to own and use a gun comes a big responsibility. A young guy round the corner from me was thinking of buying a gun to shoot rabbits my first question can you hit a 1in circle at 25 yds 2nd Q where are you going to shoot, his Answer on the grass verge by B&Q beyond belief its almost like people don't employ any form of logic anymore Im sure I had more gun sense at 10, rant over.....
    I AM NOT A NUMBER ! THE PRISONER

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133002

kristiaan_d Guest
    i agree with you all on this yes i know the risks and not willing to take them normally. but on the rare occasions that i do go shooting its mainly in the forrest and i know this is still a big no no, but until tonight i had no better ideas of where to go. plus its always been so far out of the way not even the wild animals could find us ( i know this does`nt excuse the fact i have done it mind ).

but i have spoke to Gaz via email and hopfully if i get outta bed early enough on sunday i will pop up and have a look around. and get my ass legalised so i don`t have to worry about the mindfield of laws and regulations that the gun comes with.

this is just to say thanks for the information and helpful suggestions, and thanks for the **** taking ( some day i hope to be doing this to )

i am serious about this, as i mentioned earlier i have loved air rifles since i was old enought to shoot one, so here goes on me getting a good hobbie.

plus it gets me outta the way of the missus on a sunday when all the corination street and eastender omnibuses are on (WOOHOO)

Yeah...I was tempted to launch in myself but I was too lazy and when I saw Kris realise he was a little off aim so to speak I saw another potentially responsible shooter.

I think one of the main problems is that when we were kids you could go to a bit of wasteland with your Meteor and have a bit of a shoot. So when people come back to airgunning in their 30's that's all they remember.

Hell!...I'm just so damn nice I ought to start my own religion!

i plus it gets me outta the way of the missus on a sunday when all the corination street and eastender omnibuses are on (WOOHOO)

Never was a fairer motivation spoken for shooting than this. Thus endeth the lesson!

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    The guy seems either somewhat dim, or an agent provocateur.

Too many red rags in so few posts.

C'mon guys, this can't be for real...! This thread smells like Padstow fish dock when the fleets in..! Someone's stirring..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.