Thread: Pellet size

imnotparanoid Guest

Pellet size

Does anyone know what the tolerance is on the size of .177 pellets (I am currently using JSB Exacts).
    I've been shooting FT now for a couple of years and sizing and lubing for a year or so, I've stopped short of weighing them, (you know who you are you sad boys I know I know I'm just as sad) however it has struck me when sizing a tin of pellets, (some drop through others are tight), there must be some sort of tolerance, for example is a tin of 4.51s guaranteed to be 90% 4.51s? if not what's the point of stating the size down to 100ths of a millimetre?.

Funnily enough, I weigh, but don't size 'em..! I've always thought the probe pushing the pellet into the breech is a self-sizing process. Weight can make a lot of difference at 55 yards.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

imnotparanoid Guest
    Oh no now i've got to get some scales.
    Does anyone know the tolerance on the weight of .177 pellets

Anything from 8.32- 8.8grn, I have had them outside these weights, but usualy bin them.

imnotparanoid Guest
    "......I've always thought the probe pushing the pellet into the breech is a self-sizing process. "

I shoot a Steyr (no probe) hence sizing will continue.
    Seriously what range of weights do you get? I've heard of 9.4gr JSB Exacts.

What would the extra drop at 55 yards actually be if an 8.4gr pellet weighed 8.6gr?

Just cos I'm paranoid doesn't mean the bustards arent out to get me (No I don't mean the great big F Off birds on Salisbury Plain).

imnotparanoid Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by El Tel
    Anything from 8.32- 8.8grn, I have had them outside these weights, but usualy bin them.
    Keep em Tel I'll ave em on Sunday
    Last edited by imnotparanoid; 03-09-2006 at 08:06 PM.

i wieght my daystates to between 8.39 and 8.49 and i dont size YET the heaviest daystate i have had is 8.8grains
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Most tins I have checked (JSB Exacts) vary from 8.2 to 8.6. I keep all between 8.34 and 8.54 and usually throw out about 70 per tin.

If launched at the same velocity the difference in POI will be insignificant. If launched with the same power then the difference is about 0.3 inch (8.4 compared to 8.6 grain) at 55 yards.

Surely if a pellet is oversize then it sits in the bore tighter than an on size one, not sized but just out of the tin, I have been getting 5-6 flyers in 50 but since sizing this seems to have cut them out. When sizing them none of JSB 4.52 dropped through a 4.53 sizer and some had to have extra pressure to get them through.
    With this and weight variation, it must effect the pellet flight.

imnotparanoid Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pod
    .......If launched at the same velocity the difference in POI will be insignificant. If launched with the same power then the difference is about 0.3 inch (8.4 compared to 8.6 grain) at 55 yards.
    Ummm I hesitate to ask but why the difference between the same velocity and the same power?

forgot to weigh any before the showdown...dont think i lost any to it...will keep doing it though, cant hurt can it.

Lost more to my scope changing temp again (sywell in reverse!).

Like Gus, i think sizing gets done in the barrel but i suppose the loose ones will get removed...but then doesnt the skirt flare?

i dunno...need an indoor 50m range

Quote Originally Posted by imnotparanoid
    Ummm I hesitate to ask but why the difference between the same velocity and the same power?
    An 8.4 grain pellet fired at 775fps produces 11.2 Ftlbs.

An 8.6 grain pellet fired at 775fps produces 11.5 Ftlbs.

An 8.6 grain pellet fired at 11.2 Ftlbs starts with 765fps - so same power for heavier weight means slower = lower poi