Thread: Re parallaxing How?

steelyglint is offline Worried bored dissapointed vain product From The Nonsense Factory who knows he shouldn't, but does, anyway

Re parallaxing How?

Once again looking for advice on how to do something.

Firstly my scope is a Hawke nite-eye 3-12x50 AO IR

I've spent some time playing with my scope today trying to work out it's mildot ranges zeroing and all that fun stuff, I set out a target at 25yrds , which is the second setting on the AO ring at the front measured it properly with a big surveyors tape then went back and looked through the scope, all out of focus @12x mag wound the AO ring up and got clarity @ app 30 yards setting.

My intention was to put some white dots on the ring at the common distances 10 20 30 & 40yrds to make range finding in the field easy however with the 25 yard being so far out I didn't bother.

How can I reset the parallax ring so it's sight picture is true at the 25 and 15 yard setings on the scope?
    The next setting up is 50 yards a distance I'd be very unlikely to shoot an animal at.

Also can the parallax be used at the lower magnifications.

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time I've owned such a scope so I'm in the dark a bit.

I should add I wear contacts, don't know if this will make any difference to the focus?

If anyone can advise me I'd greatly appreciate it.
    "Going to war over religion is basically killing one another to see who's got the better imaginary friend..."
    Spaniels and guns: what more does a man need?

Copied from an earlier post......

How to reparallax a scope
    Scopes, without PA adjustment, are generally supplied by the manufacturers with the parallax set to 100 yards (50 yards in the case of some rimfire scopes). This is too far for typical airgun use. Ideally for hunting parallax should be about 30 ~ 35 yards. Shorter still for hunter field target shooting around 25 yards being ideal.
    Fortunately for us most scopes are easy to re-parallax. Here’s how to do it…
    First set out a target at the desired parallax range. Then remove the end ring on the object lens of the scope. Most will loosen with a firm hand grip, you may have to use a strap tool to loosen the very tight ones. After removing the end ring you will find a threaded inner tube carrying the end lens of the scope. Some can be rotated with finger pressure others will need a flat blade across the two slots in the threaded tube to turn it. I find a steel rule ideal. Now unscrew the threaded lens carrier (moving the lens further out) to reduce the parallax distance. Unscrew slowly till the target, you previously laid out, comes into sharp focus. Fortunately for us the point of minimum parallax error is also coincidence with the sharpest focus at that range.
    Now the tricky bit, you have to replace and tighten the scope end ring without disturbing the position of the now adjusted inner threaded lens carrier. It may be necessary to use something to locate into one or both of the slots in the inner threaded part to stop it turning as you tighten the end ring. Be careful! One slip and you could damage the end lens permanently if you use a metal tool to stop the lens carrier rotating.
    Once the end ring is tight again. That’s it, you have re-parallaxed your scope.
    Regards
    Tony (The Shootist)
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

steelyglint is offline Worried bored dissapointed vain product From The Nonsense Factory who knows he shouldn't, but does, anyway
    Cor thanks snock, that was bloody quick, sound a bit scary to me might a shop do it for me don't like the idea of pulling the end off me scope.

That said I've just had a closer look and it would appear that the ring with the setting is independent of the actual focus ring if I remove a little philips screw, this I think may be my first attempt.
    "Going to war over religion is basically killing one another to see who's got the better imaginary friend..."

The little screw is just the end stop, it won't affect the parallax markings.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

O.K I'm officially an idiot I've re read the manual and the scope should be set to 10x not 12 x for range finding

Thankyou anyway for the replies.