I have just received one of these - ordered for a friend of mine who lives in France as scopes seem to cost a fortune over there.

I was looking for a cheap, 3-9*40 with IR with adjustable objective parallax. I was starting to think I might have to raise my sights a little(ha ha!) in terms of the budget I was looking at when I saw these advertised at Uttings(sorry Ed - I'll make it up to you!) for £39.95.

I've seen the rubber coated Walther 30mm range and am always stunned by the quality of the optics for the price so I thought I'd give it a go.

Well it might not make it to France is all I can say!

It is clear as a bell, appears to be well made - no rough edges. The parallax is smooth(a bit stiff but then it is brand new) and the magnification ring moves smoothly and easily. It even comes with mounts! These are a bit like the BSA style wrap around, they have two allen headed screws on the scope rings but only have one large screw on the clamp that goes onto the rifler dovetail. It looks as though there is a recoil peg in each, but as it is not mine I don't want to take the scope out of the mounts to check.

The depth of field is quite frankly, stunning. At *9 mag set on just under 25m or whatevers, you get crystal clarity from 12 yards out to beyond 45 (a bit hard looking over the neighbours fences! This was all done by pacing up and down alongside my house so these are guestimates). I am going to take it over to the club later and have a proper looksee.

The only down sides I can see are:

Parallax distances appear to be in metres not yards. I say "appear to be" as the instructions are in German or slightly unclear english - eg "this ring is fitted with markings ranging from 15,2m(50ft) via 91,44m (100 yards) to infinite" yet the ring itself is marked 15 Meter with a line ending a triangular mark to the right of the 15m marking, then 25, 50,75, 100, 200, 300 and infinity markings.

The reticle is illuminated via a light shining on it rather that glowing itself(I know nothing about IR) and so on brighter settings the inside of the tube starts to glow a bit.

It is 30/30 ret - but that suits me fine as I can't get on with mil dots.

If you are after a 3-9*40 with a 30/30 ret - I think you need look no further - you get a superb scope with mounts, AO and IR all for a ridicerrously low price!

ps Ed sells 'em too!