Thread: Brass Scope

Brass Scope

Hello,

I'm looking for a modern old fashioned looking brass scope, if you know what I mean. The kind of scope that would be seen on something like a Sharps Buffalo gun from the late 18th or early 19th century. Any ideas ???

I dont see how that is a review.
    Daystate Airwolf .177 - Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP

Sorry, looks like I've posted in the wrong forum.

Can a mod move it to the "General airguns info & news"

yhpm

No I don't, I have no Private Mail and no Private Messages ?????????????????

Old type Black powder riflescope

The information you want is in the Sept issue of shooting sports magazine, they do a test on one with full write up, its called a Pedersoli Malcolm scope like would be fitted to a Sharps rifle, 6x mag with 3/4" tube its 30" long +
    extra extensions of 3 - 4 - 6 & 7" to match barrel length ,eye relief is given as 4". I Have a copy of the mag if you wanted one would swap for an airgun mag 2006 any month before May.
    John Betty

As said above, the tube scopes used on Pedersoli/Sharps rifles are what you're looking for and can be bought from Henry Krank.
    The adjustments are made through the front mount, so you have to think whether the rifle you're intending to fit it to can accomodate a very forward sitting mount - and also offer a rear mount that's sitting on the same level ( as in the case of a Sharps rifle ).
    The two versions we've had, have been pigs to fit, zero and to hold zero ( although this has been on .45/90 and .45/70 rifles ). Optical quality of the two was suprisingly very good. The reticle was a fine, simple cross and a good, clear, crisp image is there.
    Nevertheless the mounts the first model came with, required remachining ( almost remaking ) due to their fondness of spitting out the locking screws and losing the zero.
    The barrel of the Sharps Quigley model and Long Range had to be drilled and tapped so the mount would attach. I imagine this being a costly operation, depending on your gunsmith like
    POI still drifted after all manner of solutions, therefore accuracy suffered and enjoyment with it. In the end, the diopters went back on, the tapping on the barrels filled back in and reblued, both scopes sent back to dealer - and scores going back up to what they were before....
    Therefore they've only offered novelty value in all honesty - and at £300 for the one version and over £500 for the other, that's not a cheap novelty. Definatley something for a dyed in the wool scope user with a lot of time, patience and money in my opinion.

Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Thanks for the info, they seem a little expensive for what they are.

Smile scope

henry krank has them www.hnrykrank.com