Thread: lightstream vs bushnell

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Lightstream

I now have one of the lightsteam 4.5-14x44 FFP Ret.
    I must admit that it came with a rifle, and otherwise would not have bought one at the price.
    I did however import a Bushnell 4200 for HFT use and thought its light gathering properties dissapointing given the hype. However the real downer was that the mil dots were true at 12 mag as I remember, which I personally found unuseable for HFT. due to the depth of field reduction.
    Using the scope at 10x mag resulted in less finite aim points and bracketing difficulties.
    Having sold it I cannot now compare the optics side by side with the lightstream.
    I would agree with others about the turrets being very rough, although the adjustments seem to correct the POI at near enough to 1/8 MOA.
    The selling point for me, has to be that FFP mil dot reticle which equates to 10x mag.
    I have the scope on my HW100 bunny gun and can rely on the aim points remaining true as I need to increase the magnification for longer shots.
    I would say that the FFP ret would have a purpose to the HFT shooter, being that the subtensions remain the same at your chosen mag. The advantage being that the mag can be reduced slightly,(I find 8x a good choice), helping out with short range clarity.
    Exactly contrary to the Bushnell in this respect.
    I do like the locking eyebell, no chance of this one shifting.
    I have yet to suffer from the scope fogging up, but then again I have yet to use it in really cold wet conditions.
    Overall I think its a good hunting scope, but as others have said, rather overpriced, and feel happier, knowing that I didn't buy mine new.
    As for HFT I'm sticking with my Leupold Mk4 MRT with IR TMR ret.
    (1/2 mil subtensions at 9x mag).
    I would be interested to hear any comments on the optics of the Falcon Tactical 10x42 with MP20 ret.
    Last edited by BOB APPLEYARD; 20-10-2006 at 05:56 PM.