Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: lightstream vs bushnell

TARGETZERO is offline Birds just leave me...but they always come back

Arrow update

did i mention i dont like the turrets,defo dont like them after zeroing today.give them loads ov clicks miss a click clickclick miss some clicks,loads ov clicks,poa hardly moved,on any other turret zeroed in 5 10 shots,any one else whos got one noticed this,or have i bought a lightstream copy made in turkey
    ______________on further investigating the cause only part ov the comments are true above,realising something was wrong, i asked a friend would he take a look at my rifle and scope,as i was haveing difficultys zeroing,these are his findings(by the way the lad who looked at this problem is a well known gun expert thanks dave) the gun was the cause ov the turrets running out ov elavation clicks,but when the guns barrel alignment problems were sorted and he was zeroing the scope,it seemed as though there was backlass in the turret,ie the point ov impact didnt seem to move at first,then after the first bit ov movement was taken up,the poa would move with the turret,the only way he knows to prove this ,is to mount the scope to a solid base,then watching the crosshairs move(on a target card)as you dail the scope,a scope with a turret backlass problem should show up with this method.now my friend has told me i can forward this to you alan,and he says, his words not mine,i know some blokes opinion like mine doesnt matter to a scope maker , but you do get the gut feeling when some thing aint quite right,he has seen this type ov thing befor,but on cheap scopes,it is generally caused by the turrets bieng wound in to much,which can damage the return springs.once part ov the problem was sorted ie my gun,it still left me with a turret problem,now the scope is new,how many times are you allowed to turn your turrets befor it effects its precision??? and should it on a scope ov this quality? perry

lightstream

ps whats the warranty on this scope? lost my details

Smile Lightstream

I now have one of the lightsteam 4.5-14x44 FFP Ret.
    I must admit that it came with a rifle, and otherwise would not have bought one at the price.
    I did however import a Bushnell 4200 for HFT use and thought its light gathering properties dissapointing given the hype. However the real downer was that the mil dots were true at 12 mag as I remember, which I personally found unuseable for HFT. due to the depth of field reduction.
    Using the scope at 10x mag resulted in less finite aim points and bracketing difficulties.
    Having sold it I cannot now compare the optics side by side with the lightstream.
    I would agree with others about the turrets being very rough, although the adjustments seem to correct the POI at near enough to 1/8 MOA.
    The selling point for me, has to be that FFP mil dot reticle which equates to 10x mag.
    I have the scope on my HW100 bunny gun and can rely on the aim points remaining true as I need to increase the magnification for longer shots.
    I would say that the FFP ret would have a purpose to the HFT shooter, being that the subtensions remain the same at your chosen mag. The advantage being that the mag can be reduced slightly,(I find 8x a good choice), helping out with short range clarity.
    Exactly contrary to the Bushnell in this respect.
    I do like the locking eyebell, no chance of this one shifting.
    I have yet to suffer from the scope fogging up, but then again I have yet to use it in really cold wet conditions.
    Overall I think its a good hunting scope, but as others have said, rather overpriced, and feel happier, knowing that I didn't buy mine new.
    As for HFT I'm sticking with my Leupold Mk4 MRT with IR TMR ret.
    (1/2 mil subtensions at 9x mag).
    I would be interested to hear any comments on the optics of the Falcon Tactical 10x42 with MP20 ret.
    Last edited by BOB APPLEYARD; 20-10-2006 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TARGETZERO View Post
    ps whats the warranty on this scope? lost my details
    Boy am i glad you beat me to the scope, Great write ups about it but wait till you use the Viper. Its the clearest thing ive look through. But ive only looked at scope up to £600.00.

The viper what a saving.

Cheers
    Dave

Arrow l vs b

had a look through one the other day,very nice,orderd the 32x there an then just hope its as good as its little brother. perry

had a look through one the other day,very nice,orderd the 32x there an then just hope its as good as its little brother. perry

The little brother is Great and the big brother should be to. I have zeroed it in which was easy only a few clicks up and it was central but the weather has put me of this week so i hoping to give it a work out on sunday.(woodlands HFT)

Cheers
    Dave

l vs b

your turn for a review dave

Darren Petts Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dbc-65 View Post
    Boy am i glad you beat me to the scope, Great write ups about it but wait till you use the Viper. Its the clearest thing ive look through. But ive only looked at scope up to £600.00.

The viper what a saving.

Cheers
    Dave
    The Viper is well below a Lightstream in optical quality. It's not bad but it's not premier league. The controls are also stiff enough to give Big Nikko users a hard time. The Vipers I've seen have all been a little short in the DOF too IMO. To be fair they aren't in the same price bracket as a Lightstream either though. Perhaps there is variation in the quality of both scopes. I know the Lightstream is made in VERY small batches and I suspect the Viper is too. I doubt that that is an aid to consistent quality.

Write up

your turn for a review dave
    (Monday) That if its not cats and dog sunday.

Cheers
    Dave

Gary C Guest
    Can we get back to discussing the Lightstream please chaps. Top scope and deserves not to be sidetracked

I have a Lightstream here for testing,i won't be mounting it on the gun until after the HFT season finishes, but so far very impressed with the optics, DOF and RET.

Pete

ok i have my replacement now, alan sent a van over to pick it up as soon as he heard, got it back and i have also got a free sunshade comming for my inconvience, good service. now for the scope, the dots dont acctually drop in for me but to be honest i didnt expect them too, preliminary tests show 1st mildot top of kill for 45 as the dot for me comes in at about 42 yards with my 30 yard zero although this gun doesnt tend to come in at true mildots anyway, the clarity is very nice and build quality is good, box looks a bit cheap but who really cares about a box, the turrets dont click how i would expect them too but they are very posotive, mine seems to white out quite easiy when used on the higher mags but is far less prone on under 10x. you can see the side of the scope until the mag reaches about 6 but that isnt a huge effort, main thing is alan's customer service is top
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Had a look at one at the Midlands And at Shepreth round of UKAHFT. Impressed with the entry power model but would like the 32 when they come out,have to wait as they have not got any in the country yet. Nice clear optics, like the graticle and sub-divisions, and the price seems right.Gary has a good guarantee also.Plus the extra goodies.' no hat'? though. HERX77
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by ross H View Post
    .... preliminary tests show 1st mildot top of kill for 45 as the dot for me comes in at about 42 yards with my 30 yard zero...
    Try some higher mounts Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Pod View Post
    Try some higher mounts Ross
    its on sportsmatch or bisley (same thing iirc) mediums, if i go high mounts that will be a pain for close ones and if i go for bkl's they are crap, what do you think paul, at the moment the 1st mildot comes in at about 43 yards, and at 45 it is about 3mm lower than the mildot
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC