Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LIGHTSTREAM 4.5 x 14 x 44 Worth £400 notes?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDuck View Post
    You are welcme to your opinions and I hope you allow me mine without sounding as though you are offended somehow. But I will comment:

1 the resistance is good, but just would be easier with a block. As you have stated the resistance is good, I totally agree with you

2 Please explain, Simmons Scope = no glare on the same evening same target. (No sunshade) Lightstream = Glare. OK, different optics but I did not expect it to be this "Fussy". I'm not suggesting you didn't have a glare problem but you state "Now, I have not got the lens shade but I do not for one moment think that would have made any difference." all I'm saying is it does make a difference, I have tried it.

3 You dont find it disconcerting - good for you. I do, thank you.

4 Sorry to argue, I have seen other litreature and reviews that do state that this was for Air Rifles. (.22Lr at 15 yards?) The literature also talks about zeroing at 300y & the range estimation section gives examples from 33-200y

5 it is not the reticule that is stated to be unique but the "Range Finding and Bullet Drop compensation/trajectory using the mil radian method" which they call the "True Strike" system. That information is in the instructions if you didnt ignore it.

6 Trade off's - personal opinions as to what matter,but I was not stating this as a negative, simply what you agree it is; a trade off.

7. Perhaps you dont care about the box, lens caps or other items. Nor, honestly, do I but it does give the purchaser a sense of value for money with so many other items are left wanting. (Such as finish, and attention to detail). I did actually say "This could mean a sensible manufacturer is at last putting effort into reducing needless costs and producing better optics….isn’t he?" and I then made my judgment. But then at the end of your post you state "With £400 I will be out to find a manufacturer that can afford to supply decent packaging, lens caps, allen keys and even a cleaning cloth as well as a optically brilliant scope." ???

I respect your opinion. Please respect mine.

Of course I respect your opinion & I was in no way offended, I just don't agree with it & as you have posted this on an open forum people should be allowed to read both opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Of course I respect your opinion & I was in no way offended, I just don't agree with it & as you have posted this on an open forum people should be allowed to read both opinions!
    Thanks Pete,

I was tired last night and just thought you were knocking my opinion - sorry.

however, looking at the Lightstream website (www.light-stream.co.uk) you will see one review by Tim Finley. This states [Quote]:

Alan Konyn the man behind AK Sports Optics and the Lightstream has been
    shooting for many years. Air rifles and FAC rated air rifle hunting is his thing. Frustrated by what he saw as less than ideal scopes made for centerfire and rimfire rifles, Alan set off on a personal crusade to bring a quality airgun specific scope to the UK. He was utterly selfish in that he wanted a scope for himself, but it so happened that dream specification is indeed what we airgun hunters have been long looking for.

Gun Mart September 2006

Now to me, this scope is easily capable of Rimmy or Centrefire use and the focusing, magnification and the Mildots all suggest that it is not, as stated above, an airgun specific scope which is what this was being touted as being.

BoNeS Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pod View Post
    Best bit is if the light is poor (out hunting early/late) then you can wind the mag down a bit.

Same with HFT. Turn up to an event. Walk the course and if loads of targets are poorly lit or the ambient light is very low, wind the mag down, twiddle the parallax and off you go. No having to remember a different set of aimpoints

i know what you are saying paul i know you get on REALLY well with yours m8 i just cant get on with mine, i am doing less and less air rifle shooting these days so perhaps i am just sticking with the tryed and tested guys like leup and bushnell

its all about personel choice i know a chap at the club who has a 3grand unique alpine rifle in a wildcat cal and swears by the 6.5x20x50 simmons WTC wont even entertain another scope

each to their own like

Thanks Pete,

I was tired last night and just thought you were knocking my opinion - sorry.

however, looking at the Lightstream website (www.light-stream.co.uk) you will see one review by Tim Finley. .
    You don't want to believe everything you read in magazine articles & I took the pictures for Tim on that article.

Quote Originally Posted by DAFY555 View Post
    Stick the Zeiss on it mate. Herx on here has been using a Zeiss 3-9x36 on his for 20 years or more.

Regards

Daz
    I think Dave Welham imported these in the early 90s and they were special ordered for the 30 yard PX.
    There are a few still around and they are absolutely superb.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I think Dave Welham imported these in the early 90s and they were special ordered for the 30 yard PX.
    There are a few still around and they are absolutely superb.
    They came into the country a bit earlier than that, I've had mine since 1986
    Last edited by Scooby; 14-10-2006 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    You don't want to believe everything you read in magazine articles & I took the pictures for Tim on that article.
    Whoa……hold on a second Pete……

So, what you are saying is that you took part, as the photographer, in the Review that appeared in the Sept 06 issue of Gun Mart?

It is your friend Tim Finley who wrote the very positive review that was full of praise for the scope?

And then you tell me that I should not believe everything I read in the magazines?

So who is not being honest? Tim, in his review? Alan, who is behind AK Optics, the Importer of the Scope or everyone who has written a review on the scope, including the shooting press and, indeed, those on this thread?

Sorry Pete, because of your comments I am now really confused and someone’s credibility has just taken a serious knock, I just don’t know whether it is those who write reviews or the marketing hype behind the Light Stream scope!

You have your opinions, and me mine and I agree, the whole point of reviews is to allow those who read them to make up their own mind. It is just that if a little bit of, shall we say, “poetic licence” is allowed to creep in, the whole review is cast into doubt don’t you think?

Whoa……hold on a second Pete……

So, what you are saying is that you took part, as the photographer, in the Review that appeared in the Sept 06 issue of Gun Mart?

It is your friend Tim Finley who wrote the very positive review that was full of praise for the scope?

What I'm saying is that Tim (who is a mate) had the scope on his HFT gun for the test while we were shooting at Emley Moor & he asked me to take a couple of pictures using his camera while he held the gun. Tim liked the scope so much he bought one, I tried this scope out a few weeks later & compared it to my Zeiss 3-9x36 Diavari C. I found it more suited to HFT so I too bought one, since I've had it my HFT scores have gone up.

And then you tell me that I should not believe everything I read in the magazines? As a rule I never believe a magazine review, I try thing myself & come to my own conclusions. When have you ever seen a bad review.....never....does this mean all the guns/scope are brilliant ???

So who is not being honest? Tim, in his review? Alan, who is behind AK Optics, the Importer of the Scope or everyone who has written a review on the scope, including the shooting press and, indeed, those on this thread?

Sorry Pete, because of your comments I am now really confused and someone’s credibility has just taken a serious knock, I just don’t know whether it is those who write reviews or the marketing hype behind the Light Stream scope! I wasn't trying to knock anyones credibility! I don't care what anyone says about a product whether it be the manufacturers, the airgun press or a shop, I try it for myself & make up my own mind.

You have your opinions, and me mine and I agree, the whole point of reviews is to allow those who read them to make up their own mind. It is just that if a little bit of, shall we say, “poetic licence” is allowed to creep in, the whole review is cast into doubt don’t you think?, There is no Poetic Licience on my part I'm just being honest, if you doubt this in any way then tough titty

On the contary Pete, I do not see any Poetic Licence on your part at all.

I certainly dont doubt your honesty and have never called it into doubt in any of the posts above. Why should I? You are, after all, confirming what I said, that this scope, marketed as being "Airgun Specific" and made for airguns, isn't. Tim Finley's comments state categorically that Allen Konyn set out on a personal crusade to bring an "Airgun Specific" scope to the UK and that as Allen Konyn had "disscussed the specification with [Tim] a year ago".

Allen Konyn and AK Optics obviously endorses these comments as they have, without edit or comment, used this positive review on their webpage as a marketing aid - why wouldnt they? But then I am told "Not to believe it" and that all reviews are somehow biased.

I do disagree about your comments on reviews. I have seen some, independant, reviews be highly critical. Perhaps Tims review was not that independent then? (Otherwise, why the poetic licence?)

There is no doubt, this is a good scope. My own opinion, and that of some others it seems, is that it falls short of the standard expected in the £400 bracket. You dont think so and we all respect that. The only point I make above is that this scope is NOT Airgun specific and I dont think it should be marketed as such (which it has).

Over to you, and as I dont like "Tough Titties" (just soft, slightly firm silky ones please) I take no offence and hope you dont either.
    Last edited by BlackDuck; 15-10-2006 at 07:48 AM.

bennyblanco Guest
    FFS "Application: Hi Spec Hunting/Target and General Purpose Scope for use on STD/FAC PCP, Rim Fire, Centre Fire Rifles"

IIRC Allen spent a day with military snipers whilst working out the spec for the scope. it is not airgun only or aimed specifically at airgun users. we do however spend ****loads on glass for our pop guns, and have a huge online community which is easy to target. Tims article was aimed at airguns as he is an airgun shooter.

ben(smug with his 4200 )

I've just come back from an outing with a buddy with the 4-14 x 44 and I was using a Bushnell Scopechief and I would say this is a very close comparison of optical quality. The optics were crisp with no decernable contrasting. I prefer the 30/30 on the trophy.
    Therefore, I would not think that the Lighstream is in the same league as the 4200.

Woops. The field of view was however better than the Bushnell which is by comparison better than the 4200.
    The Scopchief is a 4-14 x 50.

Allen Konyn and AK Optics obviously endorses these comments as they have, without edit or comment, used this positive review on their webpage as a marketing aid - why wouldnt they? But then I am told "Not to believe it" and that all reviews are somehow biased.

I do disagree about your comments on reviews. I have seen some, independant, reviews be highly critical. Perhaps Tims review was not that independent then? (Otherwise, why the poetic licence?)
    Having chatted with Tim Finley he also thinks I was suggesting he uses "Poetic Licence" (lies) in his articles. When re-reading post No.19 it does seem I'm suggesting just that which is why I posted post No.23.

So can I just state that I wasn't suggesting Tim lied in that or any other article.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyblanco View Post
    FFS "Application: Hi Spec Hunting/Target and General Purpose Scope for use on STD/FAC PCP, Rim Fire, Centre Fire Rifles"

IIRC Allen spent a day with military snipers whilst working out the spec for the scope. it is not airgun only or aimed specifically at airgun users. we do however spend ****loads on glass for our pop guns, and have a huge online community which is easy to target. Tims article was aimed at airguns as he is an airgun shooter.

ben(smug with his 4200 )
    Don't realy want to rock the boat on this lightsteam tread BUT.
    Page 17 November Airgun world should clear up who its aimed at.

Cheers
    Dave

bennyblanco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dbc-65 View Post

Don't realy want to rock the boat on this lightsteam tread BUT.
    Page 17 November Airgun world should clear up who its aimed at.

Cheers
    Dave

airgun world, as true to life as eastenders, alice in wonderland and buck rogers
    after sitting down and chatting with Alan on sunday and looking at the info on the lightstream website i happy this is not a scope specifically aimed at airgunners.
    i will quote the lightstream site again "Application: Hi Spec Hunting/Target and General Purpose Scope for use on STD/FAC PCP, Rim Fire, Centre Fire Rifles"

this is a really silly argument which has stemmed from someones inability to understand mildots.

good scopes but i prefer the 4200

ben