Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMK XS78 CO2 Air Rifle

Cooperman Guest

SMK XS78 CO2 Air Rifle

Could anyone give me a review of the SMK XS78 CO2 Air Rifle?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Cooperman; 08-10-2006 at 09:24 AM.

Does the question imply that board members are apt to tell lies in their reviews?
    Surley you don't mean that .
    I have one and they are good value but get a metal barrel band as the plastic one allows too much movement in my opinion.
    I bought an SMK Model and they do have a parts service.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Cooperman Guest
    Thanks Graham,
    I didn't mean it like that, I just meant if i could get an honest review, including negative points, if you see what i mean.

Hi,
    The sights are poor so a scope is really needed although some newer versions might have tru glow type sights according to Manchester Airguns.
    I have fitted mine with a good diopter and a barrel band type frontsight from a Sharps Pneumatic to increase sight height.
    Also stripped stock and used Danish Oil finish.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Cooperman Guest
    Thanks Graham, could you please send me a pic if its not too much hassle.
    thanks

xs 78

hi imho these rifles for the money have got to be the best buy out there £50 new tuned properly and a good scope you carnt beat them as new they need finishing off so a good strip and tune and you end up with a different gun far smoother and far nicer to shoot i have one and love them but it could just be me
    NEVER RUSH,YOU ONLY GET 2 THINGS IN LIFE FROM RUSHING, HEART ATTACKS,AND BABIES.[/B]

In their 'out of the box' state, the guns are ok for what you pay for them but are pretty rough.

Apart from the barrel band, the rifle is all metal. Used as a base they are excellent for tuning which is pretty simply achieved by polishing anything that moves, a lathe makes this job 10 times easier.

The one thing that lets these rifles down is the seal on the valve body, this is what keeps the CO2 from the 2x12g cylinders within the rifle, the seal is prone to failure. Personally when I work on these rifles I leave the original valve seal where it is, and cut and extra couple of grooves in the valve body to house a couple of extra o-rings (paintball o-rings are ideal), never had one leak yet. The barrel often needs recrowning.

Once polished and smoothed a bit of work on the valve will often result in a 'hot' rifle which needs the hammer spring cutting down to stay legal (don't set over 11ftlb with AA Field in .22). This results in a lighter bolt action and an overall nicer rifle to use.

The newer the rifle, the better the overall quality, the SMK XS78 rifles are better than the original QBs, the metal finish is better and the stock doesn't have the thermonuclear toffee apple finish. Don't bother spending big bucks replacing the plastic barrel band, it does the job.

The standard sights are crap, use a scope.

If you buy one of these (particularly an older one) do make it a priority to get it over a chrono with decent pellets, they vary tremendously, I've seen standard rifles running anywhere between 6 and 13ftlb .

The .177s are a bugger to get power out of and use gas like it's going out of fashion, the .22s make legal level power without too much stress. One day I'll make a .25

If you buy one, get a decent silencer. You'll upset your neighbours without one.

There, was that honest enough?

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Cooperman Guest
    Thanks Rich

no problemo..

i would save an extra 20 quid and get the new qb78,its the same gun but comes with the trueglo fibre optic sights,better wooden stock and its put together with more care apparently.
    you can improve these guns as well with a little tuning

Cooperman Guest
    thanks for that ,are there any websites with the new QB78?
    thanks

xs78

NEVER RUSH,YOU ONLY GET 2 THINGS IN LIFE FROM RUSHING, HEART ATTACKS,AND BABIES.[/B]

I'm Sold !

Rich - I'm sold !
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Cooperman Guest
    what?

I said once that I'd like to make a .25 QB, looks like a waiting list is developing.

Rich