Thread: red dot scopes ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    I dont know if what you are after is ideal.

Thing is, there are several types of red dot. Some you look through, and some you look at.

The only red dot sight I used in the military was an old singlepoint fitted to an L1A1 (SLR).

At any decent range, the red dot would cover the target, but as it superimposed the dot onto the eye (through an optical illusion) and appeared to actually float, you could aquire a target very quickly and in very low light. You could not actually see through thei type of scope.

The more modern red dot scopes project the dot onto a lens withing the scope and you look through it. In this cas, you would be dependant on the light gathering qualities of the scope, and may have to have the dot down quite low to prevent flaring, or leaving you seeing dots..loads of them

They are ideal for pistols as they can allow very quick target aquisition. I am guessing the sniper application was a film, and most likeley the dot was actually on the target rather than just through the sight, which means it was probably a lazer.

lazers are a whole different ballgame, but used well, they are good for rangefinding and targetting.

That said, for close range ratting a red dot may be just the job, I think something reflex/singlepoint would be better. I guess you are almost looking for a combat pistol type scope like the PP boys use. I am sure others will add something more usefull
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

nasha Guest
    thank you for the input .
    the footage was a documentary on google video of the new israli bullpup asult rifle they have designed .
    i will read some more and wait for others to put me right